This research was supported by a grant to the first author from the Deutsche Forschungsgemeinschaft (He 2745/8-1/2). Some of the results were presented at the annual meeting of the Midwestern Psychological Association in Chicago, May 2006. The authors thank Marion Wittchen, Norbert Kerr, and Bernhard Weber for their helpful comments on an earlier version of the manuscript. The authors also thank Katharina Flory, Ute Küpper, Julia Lembke, and Marina Quejo for their help with data collection.
Social Indispensability or Social Comparison: The Why and When of Motivation Gains of Inferior Group Members1
Article first published online: 10 APR 2008
© 2008 Copyright the Authors
Journal of Applied Social Psychology
Volume 38, Issue 5, pages 1329–1363, May 2008
How to Cite
Hertel, G., Niemeyer, G. and Clauss, A. (2008), Social Indispensability or Social Comparison: The Why and When of Motivation Gains of Inferior Group Members. Journal of Applied Social Psychology, 38: 1329–1363. doi: 10.1111/j.1559-1816.2008.00350.x
- Issue published online: 10 APR 2008
- Article first published online: 10 APR 2008
Options for accessing this content:
- If you have access to this content through a society membership, please first log in to your society website.
- If you would like institutional access to this content, please recommend the title to your librarian.
- Login via other institutional login options http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/login-options.
- You can purchase online access to this Article for a 24-hour period (price varies by title)
- If you already have a Wiley Online Library or Wiley InterScience user account: login above and proceed to purchase the article.
- New Users: Please register, then proceed to purchase the article.
Login via OpenAthens
Search for your institution's name below to login via Shibboleth.
Registered Users please login:
- Access your saved publications, articles and searches
- Manage your email alerts, orders and subscriptions
- Change your contact information, including your password
Please register to:
- Save publications, articles and searches
- Get email alerts
- Get all the benefits mentioned below!