Larger Than Life: Bodily and Social Transitions within Type 2 Diabetes
Article first published online: 28 JUN 2008
Ethnographic Praxis in Industry Conference Proceedings
Volume 2006, Issue 1, pages 4–18, September 2006
How to Cite
REICHENBACH, L. and MAISH, A. (2006), Larger Than Life: Bodily and Social Transitions within Type 2 Diabetes. Ethnographic Praxis, 2006: 4–18. doi: 10.1111/j.1559-8918.2006.tb00031.x
- Issue published online: 6 JAN 2009
- Article first published online: 28 JUN 2008
- 2000 Actually, I don't feel that bad”: Managing diabetes and the clinical encounter. Medical Anthropology Quarterly 14(1):28–50.
- 1993 Anthropological perspectives on chronic illness: Introduction. Social Science and Medicine 37: 281–283. and
- 1998 How patients adapt diabetes self-care recommendations in everyday life. The Journal of Family Practice 46(3):207–215. , and
- 2001 An analytical framework for contrasting patient and provider views of the process of chronic disease management. Medical Anthropology Quarterly 15(3): 347–367. and
- 2006 Bad blood: Diabetes and its awful toll quietly emerge as a crisis. http://www.nytimes.com/2006/01/09/nyregion/nyregionspecial5/09diabetes.htm l?pagewanted=print, accessed 9 January 2006.
- 1988 The Illness narratives: suffering, healing, and the human condition. New York : Basic Books.
- 2006 The American way of debt: we moralize about it. Then we borrow. The New York Times, June 11, 2006, Section 4, p. 13. .
- Mattingly, Cheryl and Linda C.Garro, eds. 2000 Narrative and the cultural construction of illness and healing. Berkeley and Los Angeles , CA : University of California Press Ltd.
- 2003 Lifetime risk for diabetes mellitus in the United States. JAMA 290 1884–1890. et al.
- 2006 Beyond ‘I’m a Diabetic,’ little common ground. http://www.nytimes.com/2006/05/17/nyregion/17diabetes.html?ei=5070&en=df f6e6e098073b27&ex=1 157256000&adxnnl= 1&adxnnlx=1157132307--Z0v 8qyXXXpm/FpEBE2Vyw, accessed 10 July, 2006.
- 2002 The role and meaning of “Susto” in Mexican Americans' explanatory model of type 2 diabetes. Medical Anthropology Quarterly 16(3): 360–377. .
- 2005 Situating stress: lessons from lay discourses on diabetes. Medical Anthropology Quarterly 19(2): 171–193. , et al.