“Why are you taking my picture?”: Navigating the Cultural Contexts of Visual Procurement
Article first published online: 28 JUN 2008
Ethnographic Praxis in Industry Conference Proceedings
Volume 2006, Issue 1, pages 259–270, September 2006
How to Cite
HASBROUCK, J. and FAULKNER, S. (2006), “Why are you taking my picture?”: Navigating the Cultural Contexts of Visual Procurement. Ethnographic Praxis in Industry Conference Proceedings, 2006: 259–270. doi: 10.1111/j.1559-8918.2006.tb00052.x
- Issue published online: 6 JAN 2009
- Article first published online: 28 JUN 2008
- 1994 Opportunities for “Double-Voicing” in Ethnographic Film. Visual Anthropology Review 10(2):14–28. , and
- 1997 Cross-Cultural Filmmaking: A Handbook for Making Documentary and Ethnographic Films and Videos. Berkeley and Los Angeles : University of California Press. , and
- 1972 Oh, What a Blow That Phantom Gave Me! New York : Holt, Rinehart and Winston.
- 1994 Speaking Nearby. In Visualizing Theory: Selected Essays from V.A.R. 1990–1994. L.Taylor, ed. Pp. 433–51. New York and London : Routledge. , and
- 2004 A Case Study of Sustainability: Jalcomulco, Veracruz: Center for Sustainable Cities, University of Southern California. , et al.
- 1999 Veil: Modesty, Privacy, and Resistance. New York : Berg.
- Harvard University Art Museum 2000 Sight-seeing: Photography of the Middle East and Its Audiences, 1840–1940.
- 2000 Utopian Imaginaries and Faerie Practice: A Mapping of Relational Agency. Master of Arts, Visual Anthropology. University of Southern California.
- 2004 Utopian Imaginaries and Faerie Practice: Mapping Routes of Relational Agency. In Gay Religion: Continuity and Innovation in Spiritual Practice. S.Thumma and E.Gray, eds. New York : AltaMira Press.
- 2005 Primitive Dissidents: Earth Liberation Front and the Making of a Radical Anthropology. Ph.D. dissertation, University of Southern California.
- 1988 Margaret Mead and Gregory Bateson in Bali: Their Use of Photography and Film. Cultural Anthropology 3:160–175.
- 2004 An Ethnographic Film flam: Giving Gifts, Doing Research, and Videotaping the Native Subject/Object. American Anthropologist 106(1):32–42.
- 1993 The Visual Domination of the American Indian: Photography, Anthropology, and Popular Culture in the Late Nineteenth Century. Museum Anthropology 17(1):9–21.
- 2001 From How to Why: On Luminous Description and Causal Inference in Ethnography (Part I). Ethnography 2(4):443–473.
- 1989 Excuse Me, Everything is Not All Right: On Ethnography, Film, and Representation. Cultural Anthropology 4(4):422–437.
- 1994 Whose Story Is It? In Visualizing Theory: Selected Essays from V.A.R., 1990–1994. L.Taylor, ed. Pp. 27–36. New York and London : Routledge.
- 1995 The Subjective Voice in Ethnographic Film. In Fields of Vision: Essays in Film Studies, Visual Anthropology and Photography. R.Hillman, ed. Pp. 217–255. Berkeley and Los Angeles : University of California Press.
- 1995 Ethnography and Ethnographic Film: From Flaherty to Asch and After. American Anthropologist 97(2):339–347.
- 2005 Sustainability of the Los Angeles Jewelry District: An Interdisciplinary Analysis of Technical, Social, Economic, Safety, Health and Environmental Issues. Los Angeles : University of Southern California, Center for Sustainable Cities. , et al.
- 2000 Collaborative Research Reconsidered. Journal of Folklore Research 37(3.
- 2001 Visual Methodologies: An Introduction to the Interpretation of Visual Materials. London : Sage.
- 1996 Visual Anthropology. In Encyclopedia of Cultural Anthropology. M.Ember, ed. Pp. 1345–1351, Vol. 4. New York : Henry Holt and Company.
- 1979 Orientalism. New York : Vintage Books.
- 2002 On Reflexivity. American Anthropologist 104(3):805–813.
- 1995 Ethnographic Photography in Anthropological Research. In Principles of Visual Anthropology. P.Hockings, ed. Pp. 201–216. Berlin and New York : Mouton de Gruyter.
- 1994 Fictions of Feminist Ethnography. Minneapolis and London : University of Minnesota Press.
- 1994 The Camera People. In Visualizing Theory: Selected Essays from V.A.R. 1990–1994. L.Taylor, ed. Pp. 3–26. New York : Routledge.
- 1997 (1972) Through Navajo Eyes: An Exploration in Film Communication and Anthropology. Albuquerque : University of New Mexico Press. , and