I would like to thank my research assistants Liora Shakked and Sharon Kolski-Rosenthal.
The Rise of the Techno-Service Sector: The Growing Inter-Dependency of Social and Technical Skills in the Work of ERP Implementers1
Version of Record online: 21 JUL 2009
2008 American Anthropological Association
Ethnographic Praxis in Industry Conference Proceedings
Volume 2008, Issue 1, pages 8–30, November 2008
How to Cite
DARR, A. (2008), The Rise of the Techno-Service Sector: The Growing Inter-Dependency of Social and Technical Skills in the Work of ERP Implementers. Ethnographic Praxis, 2008: 8–30. doi: 10.1111/j.1559-8918.2008.tb00091.x
- Issue online: 21 JUL 2009
- Version of Record online: 21 JUL 2009
- 1990 “What Is Skill?” Work and Occupations, 17: 422–448.
- 2006 “The Polarization of the U.S. Labor Market.” NBER Working Paper (January 2006). , , and
- 1993 Tightening the Iron Cage: Concertive Control in Self-Managing Teams Administrative Science Quarterly 38: 408–437.
- 2005 “What Sociologists Know (and Mostly Don't know) about Technical Work”. In S.Ackroyd, R.Batt, P.Thompson and P.Tolbert (Eds.), Handbook of Work and Organization, pp. 376–403. Oxford : Oxford University Press.
- 1994 In the Backrooms of Science: The Work of Technicians in Science Labs. Work and Occupations 21: 85–126. , and
- 1997 Introduction: The Neglected Workforce. In S.R.Barley and J.Orr (Eds.), Between Craft and Science: Technical Work in U.S. Settings. Ithaca and London : Cornell University Press. and
- 2004 Gurus, Hired Guns, and Warm Bodies: Itinerant Experts in a Knowledge Economy. Princeton and Oxford : Princeton University Press. and
- 2004 “Working at Webboyz: An Analysis of Control over the Software Development Labour Process.” Work, Employment and Society 38(4): 777–94.
- 2003 “Sharing Meaning Across Occupational Communities: The Transformation of Understanding on a Production Floor.” Organization Science, 14, 3: 312–330.
- 1979 The New Class: A Muddled Concept. Society 17: 15–23.
- 1998 The Third Way. London : Fabian Society.
- 1984 “‘New-Class’ and Cumulative Trend Explanations of the Liberal Political Attitudes of Professionals.” American Journal of Sociology 90(1): 30–71.
- 1996 The Rise of the Network Society. Oxford : Blackwell.
- 1994 “Paths towards the Informational Society: Employment Structure in G-7 Countries.” International Labor Review 133(1): 5–33. and
- 2004 “Social Skills in Technical Sales Work”. In Warhurst, Keep and Grugulis (eds..) The Skills that Matter. New York : Palgrave.
- 2006 Selling Technology: The Changing Shape of Sales in an Information Economy. Ithaca : Cornell University Press.
- 2007 “Assumptions, Assertions and the Need for Evidence: Debugging Debates about Knowledge Workers.” Forthcoming in Current Sociology. and
- Department for Trade and Industry (DTI) 1998 Our Competitive Future. London : HMSO.
- Europea Communitie (EC) 2004 Facing the Challenge. Luxembourg : Office for Official Publications of the European Communities.
- 1994 “Professional Vision.” American Anthropologist, 96, 3: 606–633.
- 2005 “Occupational Employment Projections to 2014.” Monthly Labor Review, November: 70–101.
- 1991 Situated Learning: Legitimate Peripheral Participation. Cambridge : Cambridge University Press. and
- 1999 Actor Network Theory and After. Oxford : Balckwell. and
- 1951 White Collar. Oxford : Oxford University Press.
- National Academy of Engineering 2005 Educating the Engineer of 2020: Adapting Engineering Education to the New Century. Washington , DC : The National Academies Press.
- National Academy of Engineering 2004 The Engineer of 2020: Visions of Engineering in the New Century. Washington , DC : The National Academies Press.
- OECD 1994 Jobs Study: Evidence and Explanations. Paris : OECD.
- OECD 2001 Science, Technology and Industry Scoreboard: Towards a Knowledge-based Economy. Paris :
- 1990 Sharing Knowledge, Celebrating Identity: Community Memory in a Service Culture. In DavidMiddleton and DerekEdwards (eds.), Collective Remembering, pp. 169–189. London : Sage.
- 1996 Talking About Machines: An Ethnography of a Modern Job. Ithaca and London : Cornell University Press.
- 1993 The Work of Nations. London : Simon & Schuster.
- 1991 “Skill: Meaning, Methods, and Measure.” Work and Occupations, 17: 399–421.
- 1999 “Reconstructing Technologies as Social Practice.” The American Behavioral Scientist, 43, 3: 392–408. , , and
- U.S. Department of Labor, Bureau of Labor Statistics 1985 Occupational Employment in Manufacturing Industries. Washington , DC : U.S. Government Printing Office.
- U.S. Department of Labor, Bureau of Labor Statistics 1988 Occupational Employment in Manufacturing Industries. Washington , DC : U.S. Government Printing Office.
- U.S. Department of Labor, Bureau of Labor Statistics 1991 Occupational Employment in Manufacturing Industries. Washington , DC : U.S. Government Printing Office.
- 1984 Occupational Communities: Culture and Control in Organizations. Research in Organizational Behavior, 6: 287–365. , and
- 1983 “Knowledge Workers as a New Class: Structural and Ideological Convergence among Professional-Technical Workers and Managers.” Work and Occupations, 10: 4. . and