The Montage Workshop - The Recreation of Realization
Article first published online: 15 DEC 2009
2009 American Anthropological Association
Ethnographic Praxis in Industry Conference Proceedings
Volume 2009, Issue 1, pages 108–122, August 2009
How to Cite
Søndergaard, A. and Entwistle, J. M. (2009), The Montage Workshop - The Recreation of Realization. Ethnographic Praxis in Industry Conference Proceedings, 2009: 108–122. doi: 10.1111/j.1559-8918.2009.tb00132.x
- Issue published online: 15 DEC 2009
- Article first published online: 15 DEC 2009
This paper argues that we need to rethink our way of representing ethnographic data within user driven innovation processes (hereafter UDI process) in order to ensure that the complex life worlds of users inform the entire technical development process. To ensure this we argue that:
- 1We need to re-create the process of realization of user complexity that the anthropologist goes through in the field and engage our technical partners in this ‘re-creation of realization’.
- 2To meet this challenge we have sought inspiration within filmmaking and based on the principles of filmic montage theory we have developed ‘the montage workshop’.
- 3This method challenges the way we handle and represent ethnographic data to technical partners and by doing so it also challenges the current roles of anthropologists, technical partners and users within a UDI project.