Numbers Have Qualities Too: Experiences with Ethno-Mining
Article first published online: 15 DEC 2009
2009 American Anthropological Association
Ethnographic Praxis in Industry Conference Proceedings
Volume 2009, Issue 1, pages 123–140, August 2009
How to Cite
Anderson, K., Nafus, D., Rattenbury, T. and Aipperspach, R. (2009), Numbers Have Qualities Too: Experiences with Ethno-Mining. Ethnographic Praxis in Industry Conference Proceedings, 2009: 123–140. doi: 10.1111/j.1559-8918.2009.tb00133.x
- Issue published online: 15 DEC 2009
- Article first published online: 15 DEC 2009
- 2004 We Have Met the Other and We're All Nonlinear: Ethnography as a Nonlinear Dynamic System. Complexity 10(2).
- 2006 Ethno-Mining: Integrating Numbers and Words from the Ground Up, EECS Department tech-report, UCB/EECS-2006-125, University of California, Berkeley. et al.
- Amit, Vered, ed. 2002 Constructing the Field: Ethnographic Fieldwork in the Contemporary World. London: Routledge.
- 2009 Ethnographic Research: A Key to Strategy. Harvard Business Review. March:24–25.
- Askew, Kelly and Richard R.Wilk, eds. 2002 The anthropology of media: A reader. Malden, MA: Blackwell.
- 1997 Cross-cultural filmmaking: A handbook for making documentary and ethnographic films and videos. Berkeley, CA: University of California Press. and
- 2009 Practices, Products and the Future of Ethnographic Work. In Proceedings of EPIC2009. Hoboken, NJ: Wiley Blackwell.
- 2003 Diary Methods: Capturing Life as it is Lived. Annual Review of Psychology. 54:579–616. with and
- Business Week 2006 The Science of Desire: As more companies refocus squarely on the consumer, ethnography and its proponents have become star players. Business Week, June 5th, 2006. Also found on-line at: http:www.businessweek.commagazinecontent0623b3987083.htm.
- 2005 Cultural Transitions - WWMD? Ethical Impulses and the Project of Ethnography in Industry. Proceedings of EPIC2005. Arlington, VA: American Anthropological Association.
- 2007 Improvising Theory: Process and Temporality in Ethnographic Fieldwork. Chicago: University of Chicago Press. and
- 2004 Digital Street Games: Games as method. Poster presented at Ubicomp2004, Nottingham, UK. Sept 7–10, 2004. and
- 2002 Life Patterns: structure from wearable sensors, unpublished doctoral dissertation, MIT Media Arts and Sciences.
- 2006 Designing and conducting mixed methods research. Thousand Oakes, CA; Sage. and
- 2007 Busier than ever!: why American families can't slow down. Palo Alto, CA: Stanford University Press. with and
- 2004 Complexity in daily life - a 3D-visualization showing activity patterns in their contexts, Electronic International Journal of Time Use Research 1(1). and
- Ginsburg, Faye, with LilaAbu-Lughod, and BrianLarkin eds. 2002 Media worlds: Anthropology on new terrain. Berkeley, CA: University of California Press.
- 2006 On measuring heterogeneity in the use of time, Electronic International Journal of Time Use Research 3(1).
- Gupta, Ahkil and JamesFerguson, eds. 1997 Anthropological Locations: Boundaries and Grounds of Field Science. Berkeley: University of California Press.
- 1996 Experience Sampling Method Applications to Communication Research Questions, Journal of Communication 46(2):99–120. with and
- 2008 A Cautious Prometheus? A Few Steps Toward a Philosophy of Design (with Special Attention to Peter Sloterdijk), unpublished keynote lecture for the Network of Design meeting of the Design History Society, Falmouth, Cornwall, 3 September 2008. http:www.bruno-latour.frarticlesarticle112-DESIGN-CORNWALL.pdf – accessed 16 May 2009.
- Fabian, James D. and GeorgeMarcus, eds. 2009 Fieldwork is Not What it Used to Be: Learning Anthropology's Method in a Time of Transition. Ithaca, NY: Cornell University Press.
- 2004 On making data social: heterogeneity in sociological practice. Qualitative Research 4 (1): 5–23.
- 2006 Time Use: Expanding Explanation in the Social Sciences. Boulder, CO: Paradigm.
- 1997 Reconceptualizing Stability: Using Time as a Psychological Dimension, Current Directions in Psychological Science 6(5)127–131. Direct Link:, with and
- 2009 Consumerization and Renewing PaPR. In Proceedings of the EPIC2009. Hoboken, NJ: Wiley Blackwell. , with , , and
- Pink, Sarah ed. 2001 Doing visual ethnography: Images, media and representation in research. Thousand Oakes, CA; Sage.
- 2005 Midst Anthropology's Problems. In Global Assemblages: Technology, Politics and Ethics as Anthropological Problems, ed. A.Ong and S. J.Collier, 40–53. Malden, Mass: Blackwell.
- 2008 Plastic: A Metaphor for Integrated Technologies. Proceedings of the International Conference on Ubiquitous Computing, 232–241. with and
- 2006 Mobile Landscapes: using location data from cell-phones for urban analysis, Environment and Planning B: Planning and Design 33(5): 727–748. with and and
- 1980 Exposing yourself: Reflexivity, anthropology and film. Semiotica 20 (1/2): 153–179.
- 1991 Speaking for, speaking about, speaking with or speaking alongside: An anthropological and documentary dilemma. Visual Anthropology Review 7 (2): 50–67.
- 2003 Class Acts: Activity Fetishism and Busyness as Usual. Paper presented at the American Anthropological Association Meeting. November 2003 Strathern, Marilyn.
- 1999 Property, Substance and Effect: Anthropological Essays on Persons and Things. Athlone Press.
- 2004 Commons and Borderlands: Working papers on interdisciplinarity, accountability, and the flow of knowledge. Oxford: Sean Kingston.
- 1991 Understanding Practice: Video as a medium for reflections and design. In Design at work: Cooperative designs for computer systems, edited by J. M.Greenbaum and M.Kyng, 65–89. Hillsdale, NJ: L. Erlbaum Associates. and
- 1975 The Invention of Culture. University of Chicago Press.