Session 4 - Markets, Media and Meanings Simon Roberts (Intel, Ireland), Curator: How Consumers Create Value in a Recession Economy
Article first published online: 15 DEC 2009
2009 American Anthropological Association
Ethnographic Praxis in Industry Conference Proceedings
Volume 2009, Issue 1, pages 209–220, August 2009
How to Cite
Malefyt, T. d. W. (2009), Session 4 - Markets, Media and Meanings Simon Roberts (Intel, Ireland), Curator: How Consumers Create Value in a Recession Economy. Ethnographic Praxis in Industry Conference Proceedings, 2009: 209–220. doi: 10.1111/j.1559-8918.2009.tb00140.x
- Issue published online: 15 DEC 2009
- Article first published online: 15 DEC 2009
- 1983 Imagined Communities: Reflections on the Origin and Spread of Nationalism. Verso: London.
- 2009 The End of Excess: Is This Crisis Good for America? Time Magazine, March 26. http:www.time.comtimeprintout0,8816,1887728,00.html, accessed 7/20/2009.
- 2001 Carried Away: The Invention of Modern Shopping. New York: Columbia University Press.
- 1986 Ethnography as Narrative. In The Anthropology of Experience. VictorTurner and EdwardBruner eds., Pp. 139–155. Urbana: University of Illinois Press.
- 2008 Goodbye Seduction, Hello Coupons. New York Times. http:www.nytimes.com20081110businessmedia10adco.html, accessed 11/10/08. and
- 1985 The Symbolic Construction of Community. London: Routledge.
- 1967 Primitive Rationing. In Themes in Economic Anthropology. RaymondFirth ed., Pp. 119–47. London: Tavistock.
- 2005 Hyperesthesia, or, The sensual Logic of Late Capitalism. In Empire of the Senses. DavidHowes ed., Pp. 281–303. Oxford: Berg.
- 1988 Cognition in Practice: Mind, Mathematics and Culture in Everyday Life. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
- 2006 The Privatization of Consumption: Marketing Media through Sensory Modalities. Advertising and the Media. Theme issue, “Advertising and the Media: 30th Anniversary.” JohnSinclair and ChristinaSpurgeon, eds. Media International Australia Culture and Policy 119:85–98.
- 2007 From Rational Calculation to Sensual Experience: The Marketing of Emotions in Advertising. In The Emotions: A Cultural Reader. HelenaWulff ed., Pp. 321–338. Oxford: Berg.
- 2009 Understanding the Rise of Consumer Ethnography: Branding Technomethodologies in the New Economy. In American Anthropologist. 111 (2) 201–210.
- 1997 Material Culture and Mass Consumerism. London: Wiley-Blackwell.
- 1998 A Theory of Shopping. Ithaca: Cornell University Press.
- 1998 Shopping, Place and Identity. London: Routledge. , , , , and
- 1998 Welcome to the Experience Economy. In Harvard Business Review. 76 (4): 97–105. , and
- 2002 Democracy in America. Chicago: University of Chicago Press.
- 1982 From Ritual to Theatre: The Human Seriousness of Play. New York: PAJ.
- 1997 The Social Meaning of Money. Princeton, NJ: Princeton University Press.
- 2003 Point of Purchase: How Shopping Changed American Culture. New York: Routledge.