The Best of Both (Virtual) Worlds: Using Ethnography and Computational Tools to Study Online Behavior
Article first published online: 16 NOV 2010
© 2010 by The American Anthropological Association. Some rights reserved.
Ethnographic Praxis in Industry Conference Proceedings
Volume 2010, Issue 1, pages 136–148, August-September 2010
How to Cite
DUCHENEAUT, N., YEE, N. and BELLOTTI, V. (2010), The Best of Both (Virtual) Worlds: Using Ethnography and Computational Tools to Study Online Behavior. Ethnographic Praxis in Industry Conference Proceedings, 2010: 136–148. doi: 10.1111/j.1559-8918.2010.00013.x
- Issue published online: 16 NOV 2010
- Article first published online: 16 NOV 2010
- 2003 On virtual economies. Game Studies, 3(2).
- 2005 Synthetic Worlds. Chicago : Chicago University Press.
- 2003 The reproduction of Open Source software communities. Unpublished Ph.D. thesis, University of California, Berkeley, CA.
- 2005 Socialization in an Open Source software community: a socio-technical analysis. Computer Supported Cooperative Work, 14(4).
- 2006 Building a MMO with mass appeal: a look at gameplay in World of Warcraft. Games and Culture, 1 (4), 1–38. , , , &
- 2006b “Alone Together?” Exploring the social dynamics of massively multiplayer online games. Proceedings of CHI 2006 (pp. 407–416). New York : ACM. , , , &
- 2007 The life and death of online gaming communities: a look at guilds in World of Warcraft. In Proceedings of CHI 2007 (pp. 839–848). New York : ACM. , , , &
- 1995 Writing ethnographic fieldnotes. Chicago , IL : The University of Chicago Press. , , &
- 1998 Ethnography Step by Step. Thousand Oaks : Sage.
- 2000 Virtual ethnography. Sage Publications.
- 1986 Laboratory Life: The Social Construction of Scientific Facts. Princeton : Princeton University Press. , &
- 2004 Why we play games: four keys to emotion without story. Xeodesign.
- 1982 Problems of reliability and validity in ethnographic research. Review of educational research, 52 (1), 31–60. , &
- Lyman, P., & Wakeford, N., editors. 1999 Analyzing virtual societies: New directions in methodology. Thousand Oaks : Sage.
- 2006 Parlaying value: Capital in and beyond virtual worlds. Games and Culture, 1 (2), 141–162.
- 1922 Argonauts of the Western Pacific: Waveland Press.
- 1999 Issues in virtual ethnography. In K.Buckner, (Ed.), Proceedings of Esprit i3 workshop on ethnographic studies (pp. 61–69). Edinburgh : Queen Margaret College.
- 1969 Issues in Participant Observation. New York : Addison Wesley. , &
- 2007 Doing virtually nothing: awareness and accountability in massively multiplayer online worlds. Computer Supported Cooperative Work, 16, 265–305. , , &
- 1995 The Mangle of Practice: Time, Agency, and Science. Chicago : University of Chicago Press.
- 2002 Ethnographic presence in nebulous settings: a case study. Paper presented at the ESRC virtual methods seminar series, research relationships and online relationships, CRICT, Brunel University, 19 April 2002. , &
- 2006 From treehouse to barracks: The social life of guilds in World of Warcraft. Games and Culture, 1 (4), 338–361. , , , , , &
- 2008 Who plays, how much, and why? A behavioral player census of virtual worlds. Journal of Computer-Mediated Communication, 13 (4), 993–1018. , , &