Integrating Organizational and Design Perspectives to Address Challenges of Renewal: A case study of NASA's post-shuttle workforce transition
Version of Record online: 3 MAR 2013
© 2012 by The American Anthropological Association. Some rights reserved.
Ethnographic Praxis in Industry Conference Proceedings
Volume 2012, Issue 1, pages 163–176, October 2012
How to Cite
AIKEN, J. (2012), Integrating Organizational and Design Perspectives to Address Challenges of Renewal: A case study of NASA's post-shuttle workforce transition. Ethnographic Praxis, 2012: 163–176. doi: 10.1111/j.1559-8918.2012.00018.x
- Issue online: 3 MAR 2013
- Version of Record online: 3 MAR 2013
- 2011 Commercial Crew Development Program Status. Space Quarterly, September 1: 11.
- 1989 Local Knowledge Systems in Advanced Technology Organizations. In Strategic Management in High Technology Firms. L. Gomes-Mejia and M. Lawless, eds. Pp. 57–75. Greenwich , CT : JAI Press.
- 1997 Advances in Sociotechnical Systems Integration: Object-Oriented Simulation Modeling for Joint Optimization of Social and Technical Subsystems. Human Factors and Ergonomics in Manufacturing 7(1):37–61. and
- 2005 Anthropological Practice in Business and Industry. In Applied Anthropology: Domains of Application. Satish Kedia and John Van Willigen, eds. Pp. 221–261. Westport : Praeger.
- 2010 Technological Peripheralization. Science, Technology, and Human Values 35(4):554–574.
- 2011 Trajectories of Change in Global Enterprise Transformation. Ethnographic Praxis in Industry Conference Proceedings 2011(1):134–151.
- 1991 Cultural Adaptation on Overseas Assignments. Human Organization. 50(3):264–282. and
- Cefkin, Melissa, ed. 2009 Introduction. In Ethnography and the Corporate Encounter. Pp. 1–37. New York : Berghahn Books.
- 2008 Participation in Design Things. Paper presented at the Tenth Anniversary on Participatory Design. Indianapolis , 2008.
- 1993 Activity Theory and the Analysis of Organizations. Human Organization. 52(1):97–109. and
- 1990 Organizational Culture and Culture Change: A Case Study. In Cross-Cultural Management and Organizational Culture. Tomoko Hamada and Ann Jordan, eds. Pp. 209–226. Williamsburg : College of William and Mary.
- 2003 Business Anthropology. Long Grove : Waveland Press.
- 1998 Participatory Design: Issues and Concerns. Computer Supported Cooperative Work 7(1):167–185. and
- 2006 Learning from the Mars Rover Mission: scientific discovery, learning and memory. Journal of Knowledge Management 10(2):90–102.
- 2006 Sunday is Family Day. Ethnographic Praxis in Industry Conference Proceedings 2006(1):49–59. and
- Nardi, Bonne A., editor 1996 Context and Consciousness: activity theory and human-computer interaction. Cambridge , MITPress.
- 2011 The Meaningful Work We Do. NASA Transition & Retirement. Rendezvous 5(1): 5.
- 2008 RE:Definitions of use. Design Studies 29(4):410–423.
- Sachs, Patricia, ed. 1989 Anthropological Approaches to Organizational Culture. Theme Issue, Anthropology of Work Review 10(3).
- 1997 The Challenger Launch Decision: Risky Technology, Culture, and Deviance at NASA. Chicago : University of Chicago Press.
- 2000 Ethnography in the Field of Design. Human Organization 59(4):377–388.
- 2012 Localizing the Global in the Field of Technology Design. In Applying Anthropology in the Global Village. Christina Wasson, Mary Odell Butler and Jacqueline Copeland-Carson, eds. Pp. 251–284. Walnut Creek : Left Coast Press. and
- 2008 Presentation on the Human Spaceflight Transition at JSC. http://www.jsc.nasa.gov, accessed 2 November 2011. and
- National Aeronautics and Space Administration 2008 NASA Transition Management Plan for Implementing the U.S. Space Exploration Policy. http://www.nasa.gov, accessed 3 September 2011.
- U.S. Government Accountability Office 2005 Space Shuttle: Status of NASA's Efforts to Address Workforce Issues Related to the Space Shuttle's Retirement. http://www.gao.gov, accessed 13 September 2011.
- U.S. Government Accountability Office 2007 NASA: Progress Made on Strategic Human Capital Management, but Future Program Challenges Remain. http://www.gao.gov, accessed 4 September 2011.