Day 2, Opening keynote: The “race to embrace the senses” in marketing: An ethnographic perspective
Version of Record online: 11 FEB 2014
© 2013 by The American Anthropological Association. Some rights reserved.
Ethnographic Praxis in Industry Conference Proceedings
Volume 2013, Issue 1, pages 5–30, September 2013
How to Cite
HOWES, D. (2013), Day 2, Opening keynote: The “race to embrace the senses” in marketing: An ethnographic perspective. Ethnographic Praxis, 2013: 5–30. doi: 10.1111/j.1559-8918.2013.00002.x
- Issue online: 11 FEB 2014
- Version of Record online: 11 FEB 2014
- 2012 “Elevator Going Down: The Story of Muzak.” Red Bull Music Academy Magazine. http://www.redbullmusicacademy.com/magazine/history-of-muzak. Accessed 1 November 2014.
- 1993 Worlds of Sense: Exploring the Senses in History and across Cultures. London: Routledge.
- 2012 The Deepest Sense: A Cultural History of Touch. Champaign: University of Illinois Press.
- 1994 Aroma: The Cultural History of Smell. London and New York: Routledge. , and
- 1982 Witchcraft, Oracles and Magic among the Azande. Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- 1988 All Consuming Images: The Politics of Style in Contemporary Culture. New York: Basic Books.
- 1996 Sign Wars: The Cluttered Landscape of Advertising. New York: The Guilford Press. and
- 2000 Clean Your Clothes with Cheez Whiz: And Hundreds of Off-Beat Uses for Dozens More Brand-Name Products. Los Angeles: Renaissance Books
- 2010 Impersonations. Troubling the Person in Law and Culture. Toronto: University of Toronto Press.
- 2010 “The emotional, cognitive, and biological basis of olfaction: implications and considerations for scent marketing.” In Sensory Marketing: Research on the Sensuality of Products, edited by A. Krishna. New York: Routledge.
- 2003a. Sensual Relations: Engaging the Senses in Culture and Social Theory. Ann Arbor: University of Michigan Press.
- 2003b “Evaluation sensorielle et diversité culturelle.” Psychologie française 48 (4): 117–125
- 2005 “Hyperaesthesia: the sensual logic of late capitalism.” In Empire of the Senses: The Sensual Culture Reader, edited by D. Howes. Oxford: Berg
- 2011 “Hearing Scents, Tasting Sights: Toward a Cross-Cultural Multimodal Theory of Aesthetics.” In Art and the Senses, edited by Francesca Bacci and David Mellon. Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- 2013 “The Expanding Field of Sensory Studies.” Centre for Sensory Studies Occasional Papers. http://www.sensorystudies.org/sensorial-investigations/the-expanding-field-of-sensory-studies/. Accessed 1 November 2013.
- 1991 “Epilogue: Sounding sensory profiles.” In The Varieties of Sensory Experience: A Sourcebook in trhe Anthropology of the Senses, edited by David Howes. Toronto: University of Toronto Press. and
- 2014 Ways of Sensing: Understanding the Senses in Society. London and New York: Routledge / Taylor & Francis. and
- 2009 Sensory Marketing. New York: Palgrave MacMillan. , and
- 2003. “‘Tis a tale full of sound and colour – signifying nothing?” The Lawyers Weekly 23 (9).
- 2011 Sensory Evaluation: A Practical Handbook. Oxford: Blackwell. , and
- 2010 “An introduction to sensory marketing.” In Sensory Marketing: Research on the Sensuality of Products, edited by A. Krishna. York: Routledge.
- 2007 Marketing and Branding: The Indian Scenario. New Delhi: Dorling Kindersley.
- 1997 Modernity and the Hegemony of Vision. Berkeley: University of California Press.
- 1964 The Savage Mind. Chicago: University of Chicago Press.
- 2005 Brand Sense: How To Build Powerful Brands through Touch, Taste, Smell, Sight, and Sound. New York: Free Press
- 2010 “‘Speaking of Tomatoes’: Supermarkets, the Senses, and Sexual Fantasy in Modern America.” Journal of Social History 43 (4): 815–42.
- 2010 “The senses in the marketplace.” In A Cultural History of the Senses in the Modern Age, 1920-2000, edited by D. Howes. London: Bloomsbury. (Forthcoming)
- 2012 Advertising and Anthropology. Oxford: Berg. and
- 2010 Sensory Evaluation Techniques. 3rd edition. Boca Raton, FL: CRC Press. , and
- 1981 The Bon Marche: Bourgeois Culture and the Department Store, 1869-1920. Princeton, NJ: Princeton University Press.
- 2013 Wine and Color: Effects of Ambient Light on Taste and Aroma. http://www.staff.uni-mainz.de/oberfeld/wine2.html. Accessed 1 August 2013.
- 2009 “Ambient lighting modifies the flavor of wine.” Journal of Sensory Studies 24 (6): 797–832. , , and
- 2011 Store Sense: Reclaiming the Four Walls through Sensory Engagement. Melbourne: Deakin University. and
- 1964 “Sensory evaluation of food: A look forward and back.” Food Technology 18: 1309.
- 1998 “Welcome to the experience economy.” Harvard Business Review 76 (4): 97–105. and
- 2003 The Substance of Style. New York: HaperCollins.
- The senses in the marketplace: Stimulation and distraction, gratification and control.” In A Cultural History of the Senses in the Age of Empire, 1800-1920, edited by C. Classen. London: Bloomsbury. (Forthcoming) “
- 2005 Lovemarks: The Future Beyond Brands. New York: PowerHouse Books.
- 2007 The Evolutionary Bases of Consumption. Mahwah, NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum Associates.
- 2011 The Consuming Instinct: What Juicy Burgers, Ferraris, Pornography and Gift-Giving Reveal About Human Nature. Amherst, NY: Prometheus Books.
- 2009 Advertising and Promotion. New Delhi: Tata McGraw-Hill. and .
- 1932 Consumer Engineering: A New Technique for Prosperity. New York: Harper. and
- 2006 “Sporting sensation.” The Senses and Society 1 (2): 245–8.
- 2010 Sensory Marketing: Smells Like Profits. Upper Saddle River, NJ: FT Press.
- 2005 “On the inability to ignore touch when responding to vision in the crossmodal congruency task.” Acta Psychologica 118: 47–70. and
- 2007 “Intersensory Gestalten and crossmodal scene perception.” In The psychology of beauty and Kansei: New horizon of Gestalt perception, edited by K. Noguchi. pp. 519–579. Tokyo: Nihon University College of Humanities and Sciences. , ,
- 2012. Sensory Evaluation Practices. 4th Edition. San Diego, CA: Academic Press. , and
- 1980 The Devil and Commodity Fetishism in South America. Charlotte: University of North Carolina Press.
- 2003 How Customers Think: Essential Insights into the Mind of the Market. Cambridge, MA: Harvard Business Review Press.
- Zubek, J., ed. 1969 Sensory Deprivation: Fifteen Years of Research. New York: Appleton-Century-Crofts.