Five misconceptions about Personal Data: Why we need a people-centred approach to “Big” Data
Version of Record online: 11 FEB 2014
© 2013 by The American Anthropological Association. Some rights reserved.
Ethnographic Praxis in Industry Conference Proceedings
Volume 2013, Issue 1, pages 32–43, September 2013
How to Cite
MARGOLIS, A. (2013), Five misconceptions about Personal Data: Why we need a people-centred approach to “Big” Data. Ethnographic Praxis, 2013: 32–43. doi: 10.1111/j.1559-8918.2013.00004.x
- Issue online: 11 FEB 2014
- Version of Record online: 11 FEB 2014
- 2010 “The Economics of Personal Data and the Economics of Privacy.” In Proceedings of the OECD conference on The Economics of Personal Data and Privacy. Paris, France: OECD.
- 2013 “The Hidden Biases in Big Data.” Harvard Business Review Blog Network. http://blogs.hbr.org/cs/2013/04/the_hidden_biases_in_big_data.html.
- 2012 “Data Scientist: The Sexiest Job of the 21st Century.” Harvard Business Review Blog Network. http://hbr.org/2012/10/data-scientist-the-sexiest-job-of-the-21st-century/. and
- 2012 Taming the Big Data Tidal Wave: Finding Opportunities in Huge Data Streams. Hoboken, NJ: Wiley.
- 2012 “The Era of Small Data Begins.” Getting Personal – My Data and the Digital Me. http://rshanegreen.com/2012/03/06/the-era-of-small-data-begins.
- 2012 “What Data Can't Tell You about Consumers.” Harvard Business Review Blog Network. http://blogs.hbr.org/cs/2012/08/what_data_cant_tell_you_about.html. and
- 2013 “Big Data gets the Algorithms Right but the People Wrong.” Business Week. http://www.businessweek.com/articles/2013-07-16/big-data-gets-the-algorithms-right-but-the-people-wrong. and
- 2012 The Intention Economy: When Customers Take Charge. Boston: Harvard Business Review Press.
- The Economist 2010 “Special Report: Managing Information.” The Economist, 25 February.
- 2013 “Big Data needs Thick Data.” Ethnography Matters. http://ethnographymatters.net/2013/05/13/big-data-needs-thick-data/.
- World Economic Forum 2011 Personal Data: The Emergence of a New Asset Class. World Economic Forum.