From street to satellite: Mixing methods to understand mobile money users
Version of Record online: 11 FEB 2014
© 2013 by The American Anthropological Association. Some rights reserved.
Ethnographic Praxis in Industry Conference Proceedings
Volume 2013, Issue 1, pages 88–102, September 2013
How to Cite
TAYLOR, E. B. and HORST, H. A. (2013), From street to satellite: Mixing methods to understand mobile money users. Ethnographic Praxis, 2013: 88–102. doi: 10.1111/j.1559-8918.2013.00008.x
- Issue online: 11 FEB 2014
- Version of Record online: 11 FEB 2014
- 2010 Haitian Monetary Ecologies and Repertoires: A Qualitative Snapshot of Money Transfer and Savings. Irvine, CA: Institute for Money, Technology and Financial Inclusion (IMTFI). , and
- CGAP (Consultative Group to Assist the Poor). 2009 Window on the Unbanked: Mobile Money in the Philippines. CGAP.
- 2011 “Mobile Money and Payment: A Literature Review Based on Academic and Practitioner-Oriented Publications (2001-2011).” In Proceedings of SIG GlobDev Fourth Annual Workshop. Shanghai, China. and
- 2008 “Mobile Banking and Economic Development: Linking Adoption, Impact, and Use.” Asian Journal of Communication 18 (4): 318–322. and
- 2012 “Mobile Money for Financial Inclusion.” Information and Communication for Development: Maximizing Mobile 61–74. The World Bank.
- 2010 “The Enigma of Mobile Money Systems.” Communications & Strategies 79 (3): 41–62. and
- 2012 Payments and Money Transfer Behavior of Sub-Saharan Africans. Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation; The Gallup Organization. , , and
- HIFIVE 2010 “Gates Foundation and USAID Announce Innovative Fund to Incentivize Mobile Money Services in Haiti” [press release]. 8 June.
- 2006 The Cell Phone: An Anthropology of Communication. Oxford: Berg. and
- InterMedia 2012 Mobile Money in Uganda: Use, Barriers and Opportunities. Washington, D.C.: InterMedia.
- InterMedia 2011 Mobile Money in Haiti: A Baseline Analysis of Access, Use and Barriers to Adoption. Washington, D.C.: InterMedia.
- 2013 “Transaction Networks: Evidence from Mobile Money in Kenya.” American Economic Review: Papers and Proceedings 103 (3): 356–361. , and
- Mobile-Banking Adoption and Usage by Low-Literate, Low-Income Users in the Developing World.” Unpublished paper. , and n.d. “
- 2009 “Portable Objects in Three Global Cities: The Personalization of Urban Space.” In The Reconstruction of Space and Time: Mobile Communication Practices. Rich Ling and Scott W. Campbell, eds. Pp 67–87. New Brunswick, NJ: Transaction Publishers. and
- 2012 “An Emerging Platform: From Money Transfer System to Mobile Money Ecosystem.” Innovations 6 (4): 49–64. , , and
- 2009 “Designing Mobile Money Services: Lessons from M-PESA.” Innovations: Technology, Governance, Globalization 4 (2): 77–91. and
- 2010 Scaling Mobile Money. Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation. and
- 2012 “Mobile Money: Communication, Consumption and Change in the Payments Space.” Journal of Development Studies 48 (5): 589–604.
- 2011 “Mobile Money, Money Magic, Purse Limits and Pins: Tracing Monetary Pragmatics.” Journal of Cultural Economy 4 (3): 349–359.
- 2011 “Nigerian Mobile Money Knowledge and Preferences: Highlights of Findings from a Recent Mobile Money Survey in Nigeria.” Institute for Money, Technology and Financial Inclusion Working Paper 2011-1. Irvine, CA.
- 2008 “Using Technology to Deliver Financial Services to Low-Income Households: A Preliminary Study of Equity Bank and M-PESA Customers in Kenya.” Microsoft Research Technical Report, June.
- 2011 “Beyond Relief: How the World Failed Haiti.” Rolling Stone, 4 August.
- The Aesthetics of Mobile Money Platforms in Haiti.” In Routledge Companion to Mobile Media. Gerard Goggin and Larissa Hjorth, eds. . and Forthcoming “
- 2013 Materializing Poverty: How the Poor Transform Their Lives. Lanham, MD: AltaMira.
- 2011 Mobile Money in Haiti: Potentials and Challenges. Irvine, CA: Institute for Money, Technology and Financial Inclusion. , and
- World Bank 2012 “Three-Quarters of the World's Poor are Unbanked.” Accessed 19 April. http://econ.worldbank.org/.