The “Consumption Junction” of ICT in Emerging Markets: An Ethnography of Middlemen
Article first published online: 11 FEB 2014
© 2013 by The American Anthropological Association. Some rights reserved.
Ethnographic Praxis in Industry Conference Proceedings
Volume 2013, Issue 1, pages 172–185, September 2013
How to Cite
OREGLIA, E. and KITNER, K. R. (2013), The “Consumption Junction” of ICT in Emerging Markets: An Ethnography of Middlemen. Ethnographic Praxis, 2013: 172–185. doi: 10.1111/j.1559-8918.2013.00016.x
- Issue published online: 11 FEB 2014
- Article first published online: 11 FEB 2014
- 2011 “Emerging Nokia?” Harvard Business School Strategy Unit Case No. 710-429. , , , and
- Digital Leisure for Development: Reframing New Media Practice in the Global South.” Media, Culture & Society. , and n.d. “
- 2012 “Transportation and the Decentralization of Chinese Cities” (working paper). , and
- 1998 “Constructive Consumer Choice Processes.” Journal of Consumer Research 25 (3): 187–217. , , and
- 2009 “Winning in Emerging Markets: Five Key Supply Chain Capabilities.” MIT Center for Transportation and Logistics.
- Chinese Ministry of Commerce n.d. Household Goods to the Countryside. Chinese Ministry of Commerce.
- CNNIC 2012 Statistical Report on Internet Development in China, 2012. Beijing, China: CNNIC.
- CNNIC 2013 31st Statistical Report on Internet Development in China. Beijing, China: CNNIC.
- 1989 “The Consumption Junction: A Proposal for Research Strategies in the Sociology of Technology.” In The Social Construction of Technological Systems: New Directions in the Sociology and the History of Technology. Wiebe E. Bijker, Thomas P. Hughes, and Trevor Pinch, eds. Pp 254–272. Boston, MA: MIT Press.
- 1979 The World of Goods: Towards an Anthropology of Consumption. New York: Basic Books. , and
- 2004 “Selling to the Poor.” Foreign Policy. , and
- 1976 “Psychological Theories of Consumer Choice.” Journal of Consumer Research (3): 117–142.
- 2008 “Joutia: Street Vendor Entrepreneurship and the Informal Economy of Information and Communication Technologies in Morocco.” The Journal of North African Studies 13 (2): 243–255. , and
- International Telecommunication Union 2013 Percentage of Individuals Using the Internet (by Country). Geneva: International Telecommunication Union.
- 1999 “Rethinking the Value of Choice: A Cultural Perspective on Intrinsic Motivation.” Journal of Personality and Social Psychology 76 (3): 349–366. , and
- 2012 “Renegades on the Frontier of Innovation: The Shanzhai Grassroots Communities of Shenzhen in China's Creative Economy.” Geography 53 (2): 216–230. , and
- 2011 “Cracking Representations of Emerging Markets: It's Not Just About Affordability.” In Ethnographic Praxis in Industry Conference Proceedings. Pp 322–336. Blackwell. , , and
- 2007 “Constructing Class Boundaries: Gender and Shared Computing.” In Proceedings of the 2nd IEEE/ACM International Conference on Information and Communication Technologies and Development. Pp 1–7. IEEE. , and
- 1992 “Notes on the Theory of the Actor-Network: Ordering, Strategy, and Heterogeneity.” Systems Practice 5 (4): 379–393.
- 1999 “Changing Home Treatment of Childhood Fevers by Training Shop Keepers in Rural Kenya.” Tropical Medicine and International Health 4 (5): 383–389. et al.
- 2012 “A Gift from the City: Mobile Phones in Rural China.” In Proceedings of the ACM 2012 Conference on Computer Supported Cooperative Work (CSCW ‘12). Pp 137–146. New York: ACM. , and
- 2004 “DakNet: Rethinking Connectivity in Developing Nations.” Computer 37 (1). , , and
- 2012 “The PC in an Indian Urban Slum: Enterprise and Entrepreneurship in ICTD 2.0.” Information Technology for Development 18 (2): 163–180. , and
- 2003 Diffusion of Innovations, 5th edition. Free Press.
- 2010 “Where There's a Will There's a Way: Mobile Media Sharing in Urban India.” In CHI ‘10 Proceedings of the SIGCHI Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems. Pp 753–762. New York: ACM. , , , and
- 2007 “Managing Supply Chain Operations in India.” In Building Supply Chain Excellence in Emerging Economies. Hau L. Lee and Chung-Yee Lee, eds. Springer.
- 2012 “Meaningful Mobility: Gender, Development and Mobile Phones.” Feminist Media Studies 12 (4): 528–537. , , and
- 2012 “Consumer Behaviour in a Service Context.” In Handbook of Developments in Consumer Behaviour. Gordon R. Foxall and Victoria K. Wells, eds. Pp 147–186. Edward Elgar. and
- 2012 “New Media Technologies in China's ‘New Socialist Countryside’: Techno-Sustenance and the Possibilities for Social Transformation.” Paper presented at the 10th Chinese Internet Research Conference.
- 2010 China's Highway of Information and Communication Technology. Basingstoke: Palgrave Macmillan. and