People and Energy: A design-led approach to understanding everyday energy use behaviour
Version of Record online: 11 FEB 2014
© 2013 by The American Anthropological Association. Some rights reserved.
Ethnographic Praxis in Industry Conference Proceedings
Volume 2013, Issue 1, pages 348–362, September 2013
How to Cite
LOCKTON, D., BOWDEN, F., GREENE, C., BRASS, C. and GHEERAWO, R. (2013), People and Energy: A design-led approach to understanding everyday energy use behaviour. Ethnographic Praxis, 2013: 348–362. doi: 10.1111/j.1559-8918.2013.00029.x
- Issue online: 11 FEB 2014
- Version of Record online: 11 FEB 2014
- 2009 “Numbers Have Qualities Too: Experiences with Ethno-Mining.” In Proceedings of EPIC 2009. Washington, DC: American Anthropological Association. , , , and
- 2004 Ecological Interface Design. Boca Raton, FL: CRC Press. , and
- Cabinet Office 2011 Behaviour Change and Energy Use. London: Cabinet Office.
- 1991 “Skeptics and Visionaries Examine Energy Saving.” Science 251 (4990): 154–156.
- 1991 “Non-formal reasoning in experts and in science students: The use of analogies, extreme cases, and physical intuition.” In Informal reasoning and education. J. F. Voss, D. N. Perkins and J. W. Segal, eds. Pp 345–362. London: Routledge.
- 2010 “Assessing the number of users who are excluded by domestic heating controls.” International Journal of Sustainable Engineering 4 (1): 84–92. , , , , and
- 2010 “Home energy monitors: impact over the medium-term.” Building Research & Information 38 (5): 458–469. , , and
- Department of Energy & Climate Change 2012 National Energy Efficiency Data Framework: Annex E, Table A 3.1. London: Department of Energy & Climate Change.
- Department of Energy & Climate Change 2013 Smart Meters: A Guide. 22 January 2013. https://www.gov.uk/smart-meters-how-they-work.
- 2010 “Charging Up: Energy usage in households around the world.” Touchpoint: The Journal of the Service Design Network 2 (1).
- E.ON n.d. What's a (kilo) Watt? Coventry: E.ON UK.
- 2012 Domestic energy use study: to understand why comparable households use different amounts of energy. London: Brook Lyndhurst for the Department of Energy & Climate Change. , and
- 2010The design of eco-feedback technology. Proceedings of CHI 2010. New York, New York: ACM. , , and
- 1999 Cultural probes. Interactions 6(1): 21–29. , ,
- 1983 “Flowing Waters or Teeming Crowds: Mental Models of Electricity.” In Mental Models. D. Genter and A. L. Stevens, eds. New York: Psychology Press.
- Greene, C., F. Bowden, and R. Gheerawo, eds. 2013 The SusLabNWE Methods Toolkit. London: Royal College of Art.
- Helen Hamlyn Centre for Design 2010 “Designing with People.” http://designingwithpeople.rca.ac.uk.
- 2012 Getting the measure of fuel poverty: Final Report of the Fuel Poverty Review. London: Centre for Analysis of Social Exclusion, Department of Energy & Climate Change.
- 1986 “Two theories of home heat control.” Cognitive Science 10 (1): 75–90.
- 2008 The Talybont Trial: Exploring the Psychology of Smart Meters. Brecon: The Prospectory. , and
- 2012 “Ethnographic Temporality: Using Time-Based Data in Product Renewal.” In Proceedings of EPIC 2012. Washington, DC: American Anthropological Association.
- 1980 Metaphors We Live By. Chicago: University of Chicago Press. , and
- 2013 “Exploring problem-framing through behavioural heuristics.” International Journal of Design 7 (1): 37–53. , , , , and
- 2013 “Energy bills: prepay meters can cost poorer households hundreds.” The Guardian, 20 April 2013.
- 1980 Mindstorms: Children, computers, and powerful ideas. New York, NY: Basic Books.
- 2013 “Case studies of mental models in home heat control: Searching for feedback, valve, timer and switch theories.” Applied Ergonomics (ePub). doi: 10.1016/j.apergo.2013.05.001 , and
- 2003 Comfort, Cleanliness and Convenience. Oxford: Berg.
- 2010 “Ethnography in the Age of Analytics.” In Proceedings of EPIC 2010. Washington, DC: American Anthropological Association. , and
- 2013 “Big Data Needs Thick Data.” Ethnography Matters, 13 May 2013. http://ethnographymatters.net/2013/05/13/big-data-needs-thick-data/.
- 2003 “The Legacy of Twenty Years of Energy Demand Management: We Know More About Individual Behaviour but Next to Nothing about Demand.” In Society, Behaviour, and Climate Change Mitigation. E. Jochem, J. Sathaye, D. Bouille, eds. Pp 109–126. Berlin: Springer. , , , and