Evaluation of blood vessel ingrowth in fibrin gel subject to type and concentration of growth factors
Article first published online: 9 JUL 2008
© 2008 The Authors Journal compilation © 2009 Foundation for Cellular and Molecular Medicine/Blackwell Publishing Ltd
Journal of Cellular and Molecular Medicine
Volume 13, Issue 9a, pages 2864–2874, September 2009
How to Cite
Arkudas, A., Tjiawi, J., Saumweber, A., Beier, J. P., Polykandriotis, E., Bleiziffer, O., Horch, R. E. and Kneser, U. (2009), Evaluation of blood vessel ingrowth in fibrin gel subject to type and concentration of growth factors. Journal of Cellular and Molecular Medicine, 13: 2864–2874. doi: 10.1111/j.1582-4934.2008.00410.x
- Issue published online: 3 DEC 2009
- Article first published online: 9 JUL 2008
- Received: January 8, 2008; Accepted: June 20, 2008
- 1Tissue engineering. Science. 1993; 260: 920–6., .
- 2Future perspectives in tissue engineering. J Cell Mol Med. 2006; 10: 4–6..
- 3Hepatic tissue engineering: from transplantation to customized cell-based liver directed therapies from the laboratory. J Cell Mol Med. 2008; 12: 56–66., , , et al .
- 4Self-regulation of growth in three dimensions. J Exp Med. 1973; 138: 745–53., .
- 5Long-term differentiated function of heterotopically transplanted hepatocytes on three-dimensional polymer matrices. J Biomed Mater Res. 1999; 47: 494–503., , , et al .
- 6Implantable biohybrid artificial organs. Cell Transplant. 1995; 4: 415–36..
- 7Tissue regeneration based on growth factor release. Tissue Eng. 2003; 9: S5–15..
- 8Extensive in vivo angiogenesis following controlled release of human vascular endothelial cell growth factor: implications for tissue engineering and wound healing. Artif Organs. 2001; 25: 558–65., , .
- 9Fibrin-based biomaterials to deliver human growth factors. Thromb Haemost. 2003; 89: 573–82., , , et al .
- 10The FGF family of growth factors and oncogenes. Adv Cancer Res. 1992; 59: 115–65., .
- 11Vascular permeability factor/vascular endothelial growth factor, microvascular hyperpermeability, and angiogenesis. Am J Pathol. 1995; 146: 1029–39., , , et al .
- 12Angiogenic and cell survival functions of vascular endothelial growth factor (VEGF). J Cell Mol Med. 2005; 9: 777–94., , .
- 13Plasmin, fibrin degradation and angiogenesis. Nat Med. 1996; 2: 493., , , et al .
- 14Role of fibrin matrix in angiogenesis. Ann N Y Acad Sci. 2001; 936: 426–37., , .
- 15Vascular endothelial growth factor binds to fibrinogen and fibrin and stimulates endothelial cell proliferation. Blood. 2000; 96: 3772–8., .
- 16VEGF(165) and bFGF protein-based therapy in a slow release system to improve angiogenesis in a bioartificial dermal substitute in vitro and in vivo. Langenbecks Arch Surg. 2007; 392: 305–14., , , et al .
- 17Binding of basic fibroblast growth factor to fibrinogen and fibrin. J Biol Chem. 1998; 273: 7554–9., , .
- 18Fibrin gel-immobilized VEGF and bFGF efficiently stimulate angiogenesis in the AV loop model. Mol Med. 2007; 13: 480–7., , , et al .
- 19The effect of stress on the inflammatory response to Porphyromonas gingivalis in a mouse subcutaneous chamber model. J Periodontol. 1999; 70: 289–93., , , et al .
- 20Repeat bacterial challenge in a subcutaneous chamber model results in augmented tumour necrosis factor-alpha and interferon-gamma response, and suppression of interleukin-10. Immunology. 2000; 99: 215–20., , , et al .
- 21Axial prevascularization of porous matrices using an arteriovenous loop promotes survival and differentiation of transplanted autologous osteoblasts. Tissue Eng. 2007; 13: 1549–60., , , et al .
- 22Effect of Tissucol on connective tissue matrix during wound healing: an immunohistochemical study in rat skin. J Biomed Mater Res. 1998; 39: 462–8., .
- 23Morphometric studies on wound healing after systemic administration of adriamycin and local application of fibrin sealant. Application of a new wound healing model using spongiosa implants. Pathol Res Pract. 1986; 181: 746–54., , , et al .
- 24Angiogenesis and arteriogenesis are increased in fibrin gel chambers implanted in prehypertensive spontaneously hypertensive rats. J Hypertens. 2005; 23: 1559–64., , , et al .
- 25Fibrin gel as a three dimensional matrix in cardiovascular tissue engineering. Eur J Cardiothorac Surg. 2000; 17: 587–91., , , et al .
- 26Thrombin generation and fibrin clot structure. Blood Rev. 2007; 21: 131–42..
- 27Tissue engineering of bone: the reconstructive surgeon’s point of view. J Cell Mol Med. 2006; 10: 7–19., , , et al .
- 28Gene transfer strategies in tissue engineering. J Cell Mol Med. 2007; 11: 206–23., , , et al .
- 29Tissue engineering via local gene delivery. 2000; 78: 303–11..