Myometrial interstitial cells and the coordination of myometrial contractility
Article first published online: 2 SEP 2009
© 2009 The Authors Journal compilation © 2009 Foundation for Cellular and Molecular Medicine/Blackwell Publishing Ltd
Journal of Cellular and Molecular Medicine
Volume 13, Issue 10, pages 4268–4282, October 2009
How to Cite
Hutchings, G., Williams, O., Cretoiu, D. and Ciontea, S. M. (2009), Myometrial interstitial cells and the coordination of myometrial contractility. Journal of Cellular and Molecular Medicine, 13: 4268–4282. doi: 10.1111/j.1582-4934.2009.00894.x
- Issue published online: 1 FEB 2010
- Article first published online: 2 SEP 2009
- Received: May 28, 2009; Accepted: August 10, 2009
- 1Interstitial cell of Cajal-like cells in the upper urinary tract. J Cell Mol Med. 2005; 9: 543–56., .
- 2Autonomous contractile activity in bladder as a new concept in neuro-urology: a study in rat and mouse. Thesis, 2007, Acta biomedical Lovaniensia 394, Leuven University Press..
- 3Structural characterization of myofibroblasts in the bladder. BJU Int. 2006; 97: 29–32., , .
- 4Immunohistochemistry using an antibody to unphosphorylated connexin 43 to identify human myometrial interstitial cells. Reprod Biol Endocrinol. 2008; 6: 43., , , et al .
- 5CD34+ cells in human intestine are fibroblasts adjacent to, but distinct from, interstitial cells of Cajal. Lab Invest. 1999; 79: 59–65., , , et al .
- 6Role of gap junctions and nitric oxide in control of myometrial contractility. Semin Perinatol. 1995; 19: 41–51., , , et al .
- 7Sodium and calcium inward currents in freshly dissociated smooth myocytes of rat uterus. J Gen Physiol. 1997; 110: 565–77., , .
- 8C-kit immunopositive interstitial cells (Cajal-type) in human myometrium. J Cell Mol Med. 2005; 9: 407–20., , , et al .
- 9Parturition. N Engl J Med. 2007; 356: 271–83..
- 10Dynamics of cervical remodeling during pregnancy and parturition: mechanisms and current concepts. Semin Reprod Med. 2007; 25: 69–79., , , et al .
- 11Melatonin synergizes with oxytocin to enhance contractility of human myometrial smooth muscle cells. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2009; 94: 421–7., , , et al .
- 12Prostacyclin primes pregnant human myometrium for an enhanced contractile response in parturition. J Clin Invest. 2008; 118: 3966–79., , , et al .
- 13Possible dual roles for prostacyclin in human pregnancy and labor. J Clin Invest. 2008; 118: 3829–32., , .
- 14Myometrial mechanoadaptation during pregnancy: implications for smooth muscle plasticity and remodeling. J Cell Mol Med. 2008; 12: 1360–73., , , et al .
- 15A dominant loss-of-function GJA1 (Cx43) mutant impairs parturition in the mouse. Biol Reprod. 2009; 80: 1099–106., , , et al .
- 16Calcium signaling and uterine contractility. J Soc Gynecol Investig. 2003;10: 252–64., , , et al .
- 17Gap junctions: their presence and necessity in myometrium during parturition. Science. 1977; 198: 958–60., , .
- 18Improved electrical coupling in uterine smooth muscle is associated with increased numbers of gap junctions at parturition. J Gen Physiol. 1982; 80: 353–75., , .
- 19Myocytes, myometrium, and uterine contractions. Ann N Y Acad Sci. 2007; 1101: 72–84..
- 20Tissue-level bioelectrical signals as the trigger for uterine contractions in human pregnancy. J Soc Gynecol Investig. 2004; 11: 478–82., .
- 21Inhibition of in vitro contractions of human myometrium by mibefradil, a T-type calcium channel blocker: support for a model using excitation-contraction coupling, and autocrine and paracrine signalling mechanisms. J Soc Gynecol Investig. 2005; 12: e7–12., .
- 22Uterine contractility and oxytocin sensitivity during human pregnancy in relation to the onset of labour. J Obstet Gynaecol Br Commonw. 1968; 75: 278–88., .
- 23Uterine contractility during the menstrual cycle. Hum Reprod. 2000; 15(Suppl. 1): 81–9., , , et al .
- 24Uterine contractility and embryo implantation. Curr Opin Obstet Gynecol. 2005; 17: 265–76., .
- 25Interstitial cells: involvement in rhythmicity and neural control of gut smooth muscle. J Physiol. 2003; 550: 337–46., .
- 26Role of interstitial cells of Cajal in the control of gastric motility. J Pharmacol Sci. 2004; 96: 1–10., .
- 27Guide to the identification of interstitial cells of Cajal. Microsc Res Tech. 1999; 47: 248–66., .
- 28Mutation of the proto-oncogene c-kit blocks development of interstitial cells and electrical rhythmicity in murine intestine. J Physiol (Lond). 1994; 480: 91–7., , , et al .
- 29Development of electrical rhythmicity in the murine gastrointestinal tract is specifically encoded in the tunica muscularis. J Physiol (Lond). 1997; 505: 241–58., , , et al .
- 30Blockade of kit signaling induces transdifferentiation of interstitial cells of cajal to a smooth muscle phenotype. Gastroenterology. 1999; 117: 140–8., , , et al .
- 31Reduced stem cell factor links smooth myopathy and loss of interstitial cells of cajal in murine diabetic gastroparesis. Gastroenterology. 2006; 130: 759–70., , , et al .
- 32Intestinal surgical resection disrupts electrical rhythmicity, neural responses, and interstitial cell networks. Gastroenterology. 2004; 127: 1748–59., , , et al .
- 33Altered distribution of interstitial cells of Cajal in Hirschsprung disease. Arch Pathol Lab Med. 2002; 126: 928–33., , , et al .
- 34Gastroschisis in the rat model is associated with a delayed maturation of intestinal pacemaker cells and smooth muscle cells. J Pediatr Surg. 2004; 39: 1541–7., , , et al .
- 35Effects of intrauterine treatment on interstitial cells of Cajal in gastroschisis. J Pediatr Surg. 2007; 42: 783–7., , , et al .
- 36Organization and function of ICC in the urinary tract. J Physiol. 2006; 576: 689–94., , , et al .
- 37Pyeloureteric peristalsis: role of atypical smooth muscle cells and interstitial cells of Cajal-like cells as pacemakers. J Physiol. 2006; 576: 695–705., , , et al .
- 38Morphology and localization of interstitial cells in the guinea pig bladder: structural relationships with smooth muscle and neurons. J Urol. 2005; 173: 1385–90., .
- 39Interstitial cells and phasic activity in the isolated mouse bladder. BJU Int. 2006; 98: 643–50., , , et al .
- 40Origin and propagation of spontaneous excitation in smooth muscle of the guinea-pig urinary bladder. J Physiol. 2001; 530: 273–86., , , et al .
- 41Role of interstitial cells and gap junctions in the transmission of spontaneous Ca2+ signals in detrusor smooth muscles of the guinea-pig urinary bladder. J Physiol. 2004; 559: 567–81., , .
- 42Potential for control of detrusor smooth muscle spontaneous rhythmic contraction by cyclooxygenase products released by interstitial cells of Cajal. J Cell Mol Med. 2009; doi: 10.1111/j.1582-4934.2009.00714.x, , , et al .
- 43Interstitial cells from rat middle cerebral artery belong to smooth muscle cell type. J Cell Mol Med. 2008; doi: 10.1111/j.1582-4934.2008.00567.x, , , et al .
- 44Interstitial Cajal-like cells (ICLC) in myocardial sleeves of human pulmonary veins. J Cell Mol Med. 2008; 12: 1777–81., , , et al .
- 45Morphological and physiological evidence for interstitial cell of Cajal-like cells in the guinea pig gallbladder. J Physiol. 2007; 579: 487–501., , , et al .
- 46Interstitial Cajal-like cells in human gallbladder. J Mol Histol. 2007; 38: 275–84., , , et al .
- 47Novel type of interstitial cell (Cajal-like) in human fallopian tube. J Cell Mol Med. 2005; 9: 479–523., , , et al .
- 48Interstitial Cajal-like cells in human uterus and fallopian tube. Ann N Y Acad Sci. 2007; 1101: 139–65., , .
- 49Interstitial cells of Cajal in pancreas. J Cell Mol Med. 2005; 9: 169–90., , , et al .
- 50Interstitial cells in the human prostate: a new therapeutic target? Prostate. 2003; 56: 250–5., , , et al .
- 51Identification of c-kit-positive cells in the human prostate: the interstitial cells of Cajal. Arch Androl. 2005; 51: 345–51., , .
- 52Spontaneous slow wave and contractile activity of the guinea pig prostate. J Urol. 2002; 168: 315–22., , .
- 53Study of interstitial cells in the penis: human study. J Sex Med. 2007; 4: 66–71..
- 54Interstitial Cajal-like cells (ICLC) in human resting mammary gland stroma.Transmission electron microscope (TEM) identification. J Cell Mol Med. 2005; 9: 893–910., .
- 55Cajal-type cells from human mammary gland stroma: phenotype characteristics in cell culture. J Cell Mol Med. 2005; 9: 748–52., , , et al .
- 56Snapshots of mammary gland interstitial cells: methylene-blue vital staining and c-kit immunopositivity. J Cell Mol Med. 2005; 9: 476–7., , .
- 57Cardiac renewing: interstitial Cajal-like cells nurse cardiomyocyte progenitors in epicardial stem cell niches. J Cell Mol Med. 2009; 13: 866–86., , , et al .
- 58Myocardial interstitial Cajal-like cells (ICLC) and their nanostructural relationships with intercalated discs: shed vesicles as intermediates. J Cell Mol Med. 2007; 11: 1175–84., , .
- 59Epicardium: Interstitial Cajal-like cells (ICLC) highlighted by immunofluorescence. J Cell Mol Med. 2009; 13: 771–7., , , et al .
- 60A distinct type of cell in myocardium: interstitial Cajal-like cells (ICLCs). J Cell Mol Med. 2009; 13: 295–308., .
- 61Identification of c-kit-positive cells in the uterus. Int J Gynaecol Obstet. 2004; 87: 254–5., , .
- 62Vimentin-positive, c-kit-negative interstitial cells in human and rat uterus: a role in pacemaking? Biol Reprod. 2004; 72: 276–83., , , et al .
- 63Interstitial Cajal-like cells (ICLC) as steroid hormone sensors in human myometrium: immunocytochemical approach. J Cell Mol Med. 2006; 10: 789–95., , , et al .
- 64Effect of prolonged c-kit receptor inhibition by imatinib mesylate on the uterine contractility of pregnant rabbits. Gynecol Obstet Invest. 2008; 65: 108–11., , , et al .
- 65An age-dependent proliferation is involved in the postnatal development of interstitial cells of Cajal in the small intestine of mice. Histochem Cell Biol. 2009; 131: 43–53., , , et al .
- 66The connective connection: interstitial cells of Cajal (ICC) and ICC-like cells establish synapses with immunoreactive cells. Electron microscope study in situ. J Cell Mol Med. 2005; 9: 714–30., , , et al .
- 67Fine structure of human uterine muscle in pregnancy. Am J Obstet Gynecol. 1964; 89: 1040–7., .
- 68Histochemical and ultrastructural characteristics of an interstitial cell type different from ICC and resident in the muscle coat of human gut. J Cell Mol Med. 2008; 12: 1944–55., , .
- 69Interstitial cells of Cajal in health and disease. Part II: ICC and gastrointestinal stromal tumours. Histopathology. 2007; 50: 190–202., , , et al .
- 70Immunohistochemical and ultrastructural characteristics of interstitial cells of Cajal in the rabbit duodenum. Presence of a single cilium. J Cell Mol Med. 2007; 11: 776–87., , , et al .
- 71Interstitial Cajal-like cells in rat mesentery: an ultrastructural and immunohistochemical approach. J Cell Mol Med. 2008; 12: 260–70., , , et al .
- 72Development of electrical rhythmicity in the murine gastrointestinal tract is specifically encoded in the tunica muscularis. J Physiol (Lond). 1997; 505: 241–58., , , et al .
- 73Blockade of kit signaling induces transdifferentiation of interstitial cells of cajal to a smooth muscle phenotype. Gastroenterology. 1999; 117: 140–8., , , et al .
- 74The development of imatinib as a therapeutic agent for chronic myeloid leukemia. Blood. 2005; 105: 2640–53., , .
- 75The effect of imatinib mesylate on the contractility of isolated rabbit myometrial strips. Gynecol Obstet Invest. 2006; 62: 79–83., , , et al .
- 76Uterine contractions depend on KIT-positive interstitial cells in the mouse: genetic and pharmacological evidence. Biol Reprod. 2008; 79: 510–7., , , et al .
- 77Investigation of the effect of the c-kit inhibitor Glivec on isolated guinea-pig detrusor preparations. Auton Neurosci. 2004; 115: 64–73., , , et al .
- 78Imatinib inhibits spontaneous rhythmic contractions of human uterus and intestine. Eur J Pharmacol. 2006; 546: 177–81., , , et al .
- 79Imatinib blocks spontaneous mechanical activities in the adult mouse small intestine: possible inhibition of c-kit signaling. Pharmacology. 2005; 74: 95–9., , , et al .
- 80Ca2+ phase waves: a basis for cellular pacemaking and long-range synchronicity in the guinea-pig gastric pylorus. J Physiol. 2003; 548: 271–96., .
- 81Tissue-level Ca2+ signalling in human myometrium: a possible role for ICCs. University College London 2006, Proc Physiol Soc. 3, C114., , , et al .
- 82Connexins: functions without junctions. Curr Opin Cell Biol. 2004; 16: 507–12., , .
- 83Connexin channels, connexin mimetic peptides and ATP release. Cell Commun Adhes. 2003; 10: 251–7., , , et al .
- 84Purinergic signalling. Br J Pharmacol. 2006; 147: S172–81..
- 85The effect of extracellular adenosine triphosphate on the spontaneous contractility of human myometrial strips. Eur J Obstet Gynecol Reprod Biol. 2009; 143: 79–83., , , et al .