Guidance for the treatment of neovascular age-related macular degeneration
Version of Record online: 25 JUL 2007
© 2007 The Authors
Acta Ophthalmologica Scandinavica
Volume 85, Issue 5, pages 486–494, August 2007
How to Cite
Schmidt-Erfurth, U. M., Richard, G., Augustin, A., Aylward, W. G., Bandello, F., Corcòstegui, B., Cunha-Vaz, J., Gaudric, A., Leys, A., Schlingemann, R. O. and on behalf of the European Society for Retina Specialists' Guidelines Committee (EURETINA) (2007), Guidance for the treatment of neovascular age-related macular degeneration. Acta Ophthalmologica Scandinavica, 85: 486–494. doi: 10.1111/j.1600-0420.2007.00979.x
- Issue online: 25 JUL 2007
- Version of Record online: 25 JUL 2007
- Received on April 30th, 2007. Accepted on May 14th, 2007.
- American Academy of Ophthalmology (AAO) (2006): Preferred practice patterns: age-related macular degeneration. Limited revision. San Francisco: American Academy of Ophthalmology Retina Panel. http://www.aao.org/education/guidelines/ppp/amd_new.cfm .
- 2006): Photodynamic therapy with intravitreal triamcinolone in predominantly classic choroidal neovascularization: one-year results of a randomized study. Ophthalmology 113: 2243 – 2250. , , , , & (
- 2004): Treatment of Age-Related Macular Degeneration with Photodynamic Therapy Study Group. Verteporfin in Photodynamic Therapy Study Group. Acute severe visual acuity decrease after photodynamic therapy with verteporfin: case reports from randomized clinical trials-TAP and VIP report, 3. Am J Ophthalmol 137: 683 – 696. , , et al. (
- 2006): Verteporfin therapy combined with intravitreal triamcinolone in all types of choroidal neovascularization due to age-related macular degeneration. Ophthalmology 113: 14 – 22. & (
- 2006): Intravitreal bevacizumab (avastin) for neovascular age-related macular degeneration. Ophthalmology 113: 363 – 372. , , , , & (
- 2003): Effect of lesion size, visual acuity, and lesion composition on visual acuity change with and without verteporfin therapy for choroidal neovascularization secondary to age-related macular degeneration: TAP and VIP report no. 1. Am J Ophthalmol 136: 407 – 418. , , et al. (
- 2001): Photodynamic therapy of subfoveal choroidal neovascularization in age-related macular degeneration with verteporfin: two-year results of 2 randomized clinical trials. TAP report 2. Arch Ophthalmol 119: 198 – 207. (
- for the ANCHOR Study Group (2006): Ranibizumab versus verteporfin for neovascular age-related macular degeneration. N Engl J Med 355: 1432 – 1444. , , , , , , &
- 2006): Self-reported vision-specific quality of life at 1 year in patients with neovascular age-related macular degeneration in 2 phase iii randomized clinical trials of ranibizumab (lucentis). IOVS 45: ARVO E – Abstract 5252. http://abstracts.iovs.org/cgi/content/abstract/47/5/5252. , & (
- 1999): Selection and analysis of an optimized anti-VEGF antibody: crystal structure of an affinity-matured Fab in complex with antigen. J Mol Biol 293: 865 – 881. , , et al. (
- 2006): VEGF Inhibition Study in Ocular Neovascularization (VISION) clinical trial group. Pegabtanib sodium for neovascular age-related macular degeneration: two year safety results of the two prospective, multicenter, controlled clinical trials. Ophthalmology 113: 992 – 1001. , , , , , & (
- 2003): The biology of VEGF and its receptors. Nat Med 9: 669 – 676. , & (
- 2003): A randomized clinical trial of a single dose of intravitreal triamcinolone acetonide for neovascular age-related macular degeneration: one-year results. Arch Ophthalmol 121: 667 – 673. , , , , , , & (
- 2005): Enhanced efficacy associated with early treatment of neovascular age-related macular degeneration with pegabtanib sodium: an exploratory analysis. Retina 25: 815 – 827. (
- 2005): Photodynamic therapy and/or macugen update. Presented at the American Academy of Ophthalmology Subspecialty Meeting, Chicago, Illinois, October 14–15, 2005. Abstract 39. (
- 2004): Pegaptanib for neovascular age-related macular degeneration. N Engl J Med 351: 2805 – 2816. , , , & (
- 2004): Review of Lucentis (ranibizumab, rhuFA V2) phase I/II trial result: 6 month treatment of exudative AMD. IOVS 45: ARVO E – Abstract 1109. http://abstracts.iovs.org/cgi/content/abstract/44/5/972. (
- 2006): Ranibizumab combined with verteprofin photodynamic therapy in neovascular age-related macular degeneration: year one results of the FOCUS Study. Arch Ophthalmol 124: 1532 – 1542. , , et al. (
- Macular Photocoagulation Study Group (MPSG) (1991): Argon laser photocoagulation for neovascular maculopathy. Five-year results from randomized clinical trials. Arch Ophthalmol 109: 1109 – 1114.
- Macular Photocoagulation Study Group (MPSG) (1993): Laser photocoagulation of subfoveal neovascular lesions of age-related macular degeneration. Updated findings from two clinical trials. Arch Ophthalmol 111: 1200 – 1209.
- Macular Photocoagulation Study Group (MPSG) (1994): Laser photocoagulation for juxtafoveal choroidal neovascularization. Five-year results from randomized clinical trials. Arch Ophthalmol 112: 500 – 509.
- 2006): Testing intravitreal toxicity of bevacizumab (Avastin). Retina 26: 257 – 261. , , & (
- 2005): Systemic bevacizumab (Avastin) therapy for neovascular age-related macular degeneration: twelve-week results of an uncontrolled open-label clinical study. Ophthalmology 112: 1035 – 1047. , , , , (
- PIER Study Group (2006): Anatomical and angiographic outcomes of the PIER study. Presented at the Annual Meeting of the American Society of Retinal Specialists, 24th Annual ASRS Meeting and the 6th Annual EVRS Meeting, September 9–13, 2006; Cannes, France. &
- 2005): Randomized controlled phase III study of ranibizumab for minimally classic and occult neovascular AMD. Presented at the American Society of Retinal Specialists, program and abstracts of the American Society of Retina Specialists 23rd Annual Meeting, July 16–20, 2005; Montreal, Canada. (
- 2005): Pegaptanib sodium for the treatment of neovascular age-related macular degeneration. Expert Opin Invest Drugs 14: 671 – 682. & (
- 2005): Bevacizumab in the treatment of colorectal cancer. Expert Opin Biol Ther 5: 997 – 1005. & (
- 2003): Infectious and presumed noninfectious endophthalmitis after intravitreal triamcinolone acetonide injection. Retina 23: 686 – 691. , , , & (
- 2006): Occult with no classic subfoveal choroidal neovascular lesions in age-related macular degeneration: clinically relevant natural history information in larger lesions with good vision from the Verteporfin in Photodynamic Therapy (VIP) trial: VIP report no. 4. Arch Ophthalmol 124: 660 – 664. , , & (
- for the MARINA Study Group (2006): Ranibizumab for neovascular age-related macular degeneration. N Engl J Med 355: 1419 – 1431. , , , , , &
- 2006): Photodynamic therapy and high-dose intravitreal triamcinolone to treat exudative age-related macular degeneration: 1-year outcome. Retina 26: 602 – 612. , , & (
- 2006): PROTECT Study Group. Preliminary results from an open-label, multicenter, phase II study assessing the effects of same day administration of ranibizumab (lucentis) and verteporfin PDT (PROTECT Study). IOVS 47: ARVO E – Abstract 2960. http://abstracts.iovs.org/cgi/content/abstract/47/5/2960. , & (
- 2005): Time course and morphology of vascular effects associated with photodynamic therapy. Ophthalmology 112: 2061 – 2069. , , & (
- 2003): Influence of photodynamic therapy on expression of vascular endothelial growth factor (VEGF), VEGF receptor 3, and pigment epithelium-derived factor. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 44: 4473 – 4480. , , , , & (
- PIER Study Group (2006): Results from the PIER study. Presented at the Annual Meeting of Asian Pacific Association of Ophthalmologists, The 21st Congress of the Asia Pacific Academy of Ophthalmology, June 10–14, 2006, Singapore. &
- 2006): Electrophysiologic and retinal penetration studies following intravitreal injection of bevacizumab (Avastin). Retina 26: 262 – 269. , , et al. (
- 2006): Intravitreal Bevacizumab treatment of choroidal neovascularization secondary to age-related macular degeneration. Retina 26: 383 – 390. , , et al. (
- 2003): Combined photodynamic therapy with verteporfin and intravitreal triamcinolone acetonide for choroidal neovascularization. Ophthalmology 110: 1517 – 1525. , & (
- TAP Study Group (2005): Verteporfin therapy for subfoveal choroidal neovascularization in age-related macular degeneration. Four-year results of an open-label extension of 2 randomized clinical trials. TAP report no. 7. Arch Ophthalmol 123: 1283 – 1285.
- VIP Study Group (2001): Verteporfin therapy of subfoveal choroidal neovascularization in age-related macular degeneration: two-year results of a randomized clinical trial including lesions with occult with no classic choroidal neovascularization. Am J Ophthalmol 131: 541 – 560.
- 2006): Should corticosteroids be considered as part of the standard care with photodynamic therapy? Arch Ophthalmol 124: 563 – 571. (