Ecological links between salmon, large carnivore predation, and scavenging birds
Article first published online: 31 DEC 2012
© 2013 The Authors
Journal of Avian Biology
Volume 44, Issue 1, pages 009–016, January 2013
How to Cite
Field, R. D. and Reynolds, J. D. (2013), Ecological links between salmon, large carnivore predation, and scavenging birds. Journal of Avian Biology, 44: 009–016. doi: 10.1111/j.1600-048X.2012.05601.x
- Issue published online: 2 JAN 2013
- Article first published online: 31 DEC 2012
- Paper manuscript accepted 2 August 2012
- 2000. Effect of stream channel size on the delivery of nitrogen to the Gulf of Mexico. Nature 403: 758–761. , and .
- 2008. Model based inferences in the life sciences. – Springer. .
- 2008. The importance of fish to bald eagles in southeast Alaska: a review. In: Wright B. A. and Schempf P. (eds), Bald eagles in Alaska. Bald Eagle Research Inst., Juneau, pp. 54–67. .
- 1993. Fecundity and egg size variation in North-American Pacific salmon (Oncorhynchus). J. Fish Biol. 42: 485–508. and .
- 1997. Biotic control over the functioning of ecosystems. Science 277: 500–504. , , , , , and .
- 2005. Post-reproductive Pacific salmon, Oncorhynchus spp., as a major nutrient source for large aggregations of gulls, Larus spp. Can. Field-Nat. 119: 202–207. and .
- 2003. Foraging behaviour by gray wolves on salmon streams in coastal British Columbia. Can. J. Zool. 81: 349–353. , and .
- 2010. Salmon for terrestrial protected areas. Conserv. Lett. 3: 379–389. , , , , , , , , and .
- 1992. A robust procedure for estimating salmon escapement based on the area-under-the-curve method. Can. J. Fish. Aquat. Sci. 49: 1982–1989. , and .
- 2011. Sea to sky: impacts of residual salmon-derived nutrients on estuarine breeding bird communities. Proc. R. Soc. B 278: 3081–3088. and .
- 1996. Using landscape ecology to test hypotheses about large-scale abundance patterns in migratory birds. Ecology 77: 28–35. and .
- 1993. Bald eagle home range and habitat use in the Columbia River estuary. J. Wildl. Manage. 57: 19–27. , and .
- Government of British Columbia 2008. Integrated Land Management Bureau. – iMapBC, < http://webmaps.gov.bc.ca/imfx/imf.jsp?site imapbc > accessed 15 August 2008.
- 1991. Pacific salmon life histories. – UBC Press. and .
- 2009. Salmon species, density and watershed size predict magnitude of marine enrichment in riparian food webs. Oikos 118: 1307–1318. and .
- 2011. Impacts of salmon on riparian plant diversity. Science 331: 1609–1612. and .
- 1992. Foraging ecology of bald eagles on a regulated river. J. Raptor Res. 26: 243–256. , , , and .
- 2009. Pacific salmon effects on stream ecosystems: a quantitative synthesis. Oecologia 159: 583–595. , , and .
- 2002. Principal component analysis. – Springer. .
- 1990. Effects of supplemental feeding on an avian scavenging guild. Wildl. Soc. Bull. 18: 388–394. and .
- 2008. Habitat saturation drives thresholds in stream subsidies. Ecology 89: 306–312. , and .
- 2002. Opposite trends in response for the Shannon and Simpson indices of landscape diversity. Appl. Geogr. 22: 175–186. .
- 1987. Biogeoclimatic ecosystem classification in British Columbia. For. Ecol. Manage. 22: 119–154. , and .
- 1997. Toward an integration of landscape and food web ecology: the dynamics of spatially subsidized food webs. Annu. Rev. Ecol. Syst. 28: 289–316. , and .
- 1994. Further studies of predator and scavenger use of chum salmon in stream and estuarine habitats at Bag Harbour, Gwaii Haanas. – Islands Ecological Research, Queen Charlotte City. .
- 2000. Some ecological and evolutionary aspects of bear-salmon interactions in coastal British Columbia. Can. J. Zool. 78: 448–457. .
- 2003. Isotopic evidence for enrichment of salmon-derived nutrients in vegetation, soil, and insects in Riparian zones in coastal British Columbia. Am. Fish. Soc. Symp. 34: 59–69. , , , and .
- 2003. Pacific salmon and the ecology of coastal ecosystems. Front. Ecol. Environ. 1: 31–37. , , , , and .
- 1981. Timing of shorebird migration in relation to prey depletion. Auk 98: 801–811. and .
- 1949. The mathematical theory of communication. – Univ. Illinois Press. and .
- 1949. Measurement of diversity. Nature 163: 688. .
- 1996. Plant guide: slough sedge. – USDA NRCS Idaho Plant Materials Center and the National Plant Data Center, Aberdeen. and .
- 1998. Bird migration – an energy-based analysis of costs and benefits. Math. Med. Biol. 15: 65–85. and .
- 2011. Persistent ecological effects of a salmon-derived nutrient pulse on stream invertebrate communities. Ecosphere 2: 1–17. , , and .
- 1995. Anadromous fish as keystone species in vertebrate communities. Conserv. Biol. 9: 489–497. and .
- 1998. Fishes and the forest. Biosciences 48: 455–462. , and .
- 2005. Do bears facilitate transfer of salmon resources to aquatic macroinvertebrates? Can. J. Fish. Aquat. Sci. 62: 2285–2293. , , , and .
- 2009a. A protocol for data exploration to avoid common statistical problems. Methods Ecol. Evol. 1: 3–14. , and .
- 2009b. Mixed effects models and extensions in ecology with R. – Springer. , , , and .