The population increase of common guillemots Uria aalge on Skomer Island is explained by intrinsic demographic properties
Article first published online: 30 OCT 2012
© 2013 The Authors
Journal of Avian Biology
Volume 44, Issue 1, pages 055–061, January 2013
How to Cite
Meade, J., Hatchwell, B. J., Blanchard, J. L. and Birkhead, T. R. (2013), The population increase of common guillemots Uria aalge on Skomer Island is explained by intrinsic demographic properties. Journal of Avian Biology, 44: 055–061. doi: 10.1111/j.1600-048X.2012.05742.x
- Issue published online: 2 JAN 2013
- Article first published online: 30 OCT 2012
- Paper manuscript accepted 22 August 2012
- 2006. The status of breeding seabirds in mainland Norway. Atl. Seabirds 8: 97–126. , and .
- 1977. The effect of habitat and density on breeding success in the common guillemot Uria aalge. J. Anim. Ecol. 46: 751–764. .
- 1978. Attendance patterns of guillemots Uria aalge at breeding colonies on Skomer. Ibis 120: 219–229. .
- 1975. Auk numbers on Skomer Island. Nat. Wales 14: 223–233. and .
- 1977. Population parameters for the common guillemot Uria aalge. Ornis Scand. 8: 145–154. and .
- 1980. Census methods for murres, Uria spp.: a unified approach. Occasional Paper no. 43, Canadian Wildlife Service, Ottawa. and .
- 2005. Do climate and fishing influence size-based indicators of Celtic Sea fish community structure? ICES J. Mar. Sci. 62: 405–411. , , , , , and .
- 2009. How does abundance scale with body size in coupled size-structured food webs? J. Anim. Ecol. 78: 270–280. , , , , , and .
- 1992. Bridging the gap between ornithology and fisheries science: use of seabird data in stock assessment models. Condor 94: 811–824. .
- 2001. Matrix population models construction, analysis, and interpretation, 2nd ed. – Sinauer. .
- 2012. Incorporating ‘recruitment’ in matrix projection models: estimation, parameters, and the influence of model structure. J. Ornithol. 152: 585–595. , and .
- 1993. Assessment of North Sea industrial fish stocks with incomplete catch-at-age data. ICES J. Mar. Sci. 50: 425–434. and .
- 2006. Recruitment to a seabird population depends on environmental factors and on population size. J. Anim. Ecol. 75: 228–238. , , , and .
- 1991. Population regulation of seabirds: implications of their demography for conservation. – In: Perris C. M., Leberton J.-D. and Hirons G. J. M. (eds), Bird population studies. Oxford Univ. Press, pp. 272–296. and .
- 1990. Ecology of North Sea fish. Neth. J. Sea Res. 26: 343–386. , , and .
- 2000. Seabird-fishery inter actions: quantifying the sensitivity of seabirds to reductions in sandeel abundance, and identification of key areas for sensitive seabirds in the North Sea. Mar. Ecol. Prog. Ser. 202: 253–264. and .
- 1976. Inter-colony movement of Farne Island puffins. Trans. Nat. Hist. Soc. Northumb. 42: 115–118. .
- 1978. The food of young puffins (Fratercula arctica). J. Zool. 185: 213–239. and .
- 1988. The breeding biology of guillemots Uria aalge on the Isle of May over a six year period. Ibis 130: 172–192. and .
- 1992. The post- fledging survival of young guillemots Uria aalge in relation to hatching date and growth. Ibis 134: 335–339. , and .
- 1994. Age of first breeding in common murres. Auk 111: 207–209. , and .
- 1996. Site use and ﬁdelity in the common guillemots Uria algae. Ibis 138: 399–404. , and .
- 2007. Within- and between-year variation in the juvenile survival of common guillemots Uria aalge. Ibis 149: 472–481. , and .
- 1988. Population biology and coloniality of common guillemots Uria aalge. – PhD thesis, Univ. of Sheffield, Sheffield. .
- 1991. An experimental study of the effects of timing of breeding on the reproductive success of common guillemots (Uria aalge). J. Anim. Ecol. 60: 721–736. .
- 1991. Population dynamics of common guillemots Uria aalge on Skomer Island, Wales. Ornis Scand. 22: 55–59. and .
- 2004. Competition for breeding sites and site-dependent population regulation in a highly colonial seabird, the common guillemot Uria aalge. J. Anim. Ecol. 73: 367–376. , and .
- 1951. Population ecology in birds. – In: Horstadius S. (ed.), Proceedings of the 10th International Ornithological Congress. Almqvist and Wiksell, pp. 409–448. .
- 1965. The study of population growth in organisms grouped by stages. Biometrics 21: 1–18. .
- 1945. On the use of matrices in certain population mathematics. Biometrika 33: 183–212. .
- 2000. The population biology of the common guillemot, Uria aalge. – PhD thesis, Univ. of Sheffield, UK. .
- 2004. Seabird numbers and breeding success in Britain and Ireland, 2003. Peterborough, Joint Nature Conservation Committee, UK Nature Conservation no. 27. , , and .
- 2005. Seabird numbers and breeding success in Britain and Ireland, 2004. Peterborough, Joint Nature Conservation Committee, UK Nature Conservation, no. 29. , , and .
- 2006. Seabird numbers and breeding success in Britain and Ireland, 2005. Peterborough, Joint Nature Conservation Committee, UK Nature Conservation, no. 30. , , and .
- 1992. Effect of changes in food availability on reproductive effort in Arctic terns Sterna paradisaea. Ardea 80: 71–81. , and .
- 2002. Quantitative conservation biology: theory and practice of population viability analysis. – Sinauer. and .
- 1968. The feeding biology of seabird species breeding on the Farne Islands, Northumberland. J. Anim. Ecol. 37: 521–552. .
- 1981. Breeding biology and feeding ecology of black guillemots. PhD thesis, Univ. of Oxford, UK. .
- 2011. Among-colony synchrony in the survival of common guillemots Uria aalge reflects shared wintering areas. Ibis 153: 818–831. , , , , , and .
- 2005. The effect of climate on adult survival in five species of North Atlantic seabirds. J. Anim. Ecol. 74: 817–831. , , and .
- 2005. Using size-based indicators to evaluate the ecosystem effects of fishing. ICES J. Mar. Sci. 62: 384–396. , , , and .
- 1965. The natural history of a population of guillemots (Uria aalge Pont). J. Anim. Ecol. 34: 649–661. , and .
- 1989. Changes in recovery and retrap patterns of guillemots ringed on Canna 1974 75. Ring. Migr. 10: 35–40. , , , and .
- 1961. The murres. – Canadian Wildlife Service, no. 1. .
- 2005. Oil pollution and climate have wide-scale impacts on seabird demographics. Ecol. Lett. 8: 1157–1164. , , , , , , and .
- 2008. Recruitment and survival of immature seabirds in relation to oil spills and climate variability. J. Anim. Ecol. 77: 974–983. , , , , , , and .
- 2005. Low energy values of fish as a probable cause of a major seabird breeding failure in the North Sea. Mar. Ecol. Prog. Ser. 294: 1–8. , , and .
- 1999. Programme MARK: survival estimation from populations of marked animals. Bird Study 46: 120–139. and .
- 2004. Self-feeding and chick provisioning diet differ in the common guillemot Uria aalge. Ardea 92: 197–208. , and .