Rates and consequences of relaying in little auks Alle alle breeding in the High Arctic an experimental study with egg removal
Article first published online: 30 OCT 2012
© 2013 The Authors
Journal of Avian Biology
Volume 44, Issue 1, pages 062–068, January 2013
How to Cite
Jakubas, D. and Wojczulanis-Jakubas, K. (2013), Rates and consequences of relaying in little auks Alle alle breeding in the High Arctic an experimental study with egg removal. Journal of Avian Biology, 44: 062–068. doi: 10.1111/j.1600-048X.2012.05790.x
- Issue published online: 2 JAN 2013
- Article first published online: 30 OCT 2012
- Paper manuscript accepted 7 September 2012
- 1999. Replacement clutches by kentish plovers. Condor 101: 746–751. , and .
- 1993. Factors affecting renesting in American coots. Condor 95: 273–281. .
- 2010. Factors that affect renesting in mallards (Anas platyrhynchos). Auk 127: 212–221. , and .
- 1986. Egg formation in Cassin’s auklet. Auk 103: 682–693. .
- 1982. Adaptive significance of egg size and laying date in thick-billed murres Uria lomvia. Ecology 63: 300–306. and .
- 1987. Egg formation and the pre-laying period of the common guillemot Uria aalge. J. Zool. 211: 83–88. and .
- 1987. Ecological relationships between common murres Uria aalge and thick-billed murres Uria lomvia at the Gannet Islands, Labrador. II. Breeding success and nest site characteristics. Can. J. Zool. 65: 1622–1629. and .
- 1989. Age, resource avail ability, and breeding effort in Brandt’s cormorant. Auk 106: 389–401. and .
- 1996. The effect of age on timing of breeding and reproductive success in the thick- billed murre. Ecology 77: 1501–1511. and .
- 1995. Comparative reproductive ecology of the auks (Family Alcidae) with emphasis on the marbled murrelet. In: Ralph C. J., Hunt G. L., Raphael M. G. and Piatt J. E. (eds), Ecology and conservation of the marbled murrelet. U.S. Dept of Agriculture, Forest Service General Technical Report PSW-GTR-152, pp. 33–48. and .
- 2008. Effects of spring body condition and age on reproduction in mallards (Anas platyrhynchos). Auk 125: 618–628. , , and .
- 2006. Renesting by dusky Canada geese on the Copper River Delta, Alaska. J. Wildl. Manage. 70: 955–964. , , and .
- 1991. Field and laboratory metabolism and thermoregulation in dovekies (Alle alle). Auk 108: 71–78. , , and .
- 1981. The thick-billed murres of Prince Leopold Island. Canadian Wildlife Service Mon. Ser. 6, Ottawa. and .
- 2006. Body mass changes in Brünnich's guillemots Uria lomvia in relation to age and breeding stage. J. Avian Biol. 37: 101–109. and .
- 2006. Total plasma protein and renesting by greater sage grouse. J. Wildl. Manage. 70: 472–478. , , and .
- 2004. Sex differences in little auk Alle alle parental care: transition from biparental to parental-only care. Ibis 146: 642–651. , , and .
- 2011. Adverse foraging conditions may impact body mass and survival of a high Arctic seabird. Oecologia 167: 49–59. , , , , , , , , , and .
- 1990. Components of breeding productivity in a marine bird community: key factors and concordance. Can. J. Zool. 68: 1680–1690. and .
- 1995. A within-clutch trade-off between egg production and rearing in birds. Proc. R. Soc. B 261: 361–365. and .
- 1998. Parental condition and breeding effort in waders. J. Anim. Ecol. 67: 41–53. and .
- 1997. The effects of parent quality and timing of breeding on the growth of nestling thick-billed murres. Condor 99: 353–360. .
- 1999. The relationship between egg size and posthatching development in the thick-billed murre. Ecology 80: 1287–1296. and .
- 1997. The role of female age in determining egg size and laying date of thick-billed murres. J. Avian Biol. 28: 271–278. , and .
- 1999. Seasonal declines in replacement egg-layings in a long-lived, Arctic seabird: costs of late breeding or variation in female quality? J. Anim. Ecol. 68: 988–998. , , and .
- 2003. Egg composition in relation to female age and relaying: constraints on egg production in thick-billed murres (Uria lomvia). Auk 120: 645–657. , , , and .
- 2004. Rates and consequences of relaying in Cassin's auklets and rhinoceros auklets breeding in a seasonal environment. J. Avian Biol. 35: 224–236. , and .
- 2005. Variation in egg size and laying date in thick-billed murre populations breeding in the Low Arctic and High Arctic. Condor 107: 657–664. , and .
- 2008. Do marine birds use environmental cues to optimize egg production? An experimental test based on relaying propensity. J. Avian Biol. 39: 611–618. , and .
- 2010. Experimental evidence that both timing and parental quality affect breeding success in a zooplanktivorous seabird. Auk 127: 195–203. , and .
- 1995. The breeding population of little auk (Alle alle) in colonies in Hornsund and northwestern Spitsbergen. – In: Isaksen K. and Bakken V. (eds), Seabird population in the northern Barents Sea. Meddelelser nr 135. Norsk PolarInstitutt, Oslo, pp. 49–57. .
- 2007. Predicting the sex of dovekies by discriminant analysis. Waterbirds 30: 92–96. and .
- 2011. Subcolony variation in phenology and breeding parameters in little auk Alle alle. Polar Biol. 34: 31–39. and .
- 2008. Sex differences in body condition and hematological parameters in little auk Alle alle during the incubation period. Ornis Fenn. 85: 90–97. , and .
- 1993. Renesting by Rio Grande wild turkeys after brood loss. J. Wildl. Manage. 57: 801–804. and .
- 1989. The influence of weather conditions on growth of little auk Alle alle chicks. Ornis Scand. 20: 112–116. and .
- 2005. No evidence of extra-pair paternity in the little auk Alle alle. J. Avian Biol. 36: 484–487. , , and .
- 1989. Clutch- size variation and patterns of attrition in fecundity of willow ptarmigan. Ecology 70: 1788–1799. , and .
- 2009. Climate change and phenological responses of two seabird species breeding in the high-Arctic. Mar. Ecol. Prog. Ser. 393: 235–246. , , , , , , , , , , , and .
- 1998. The price of eggs: increased investment in egg production reduces the offspring-rearing capacity of parents. Proc. R. Soc. B 265: 1731–1735. , and .
- 2000. Within-clutch trade-offs between the number and quality of eggs: experimental manipulations in gulls. Ecology 81: 1339–1350. , and .
- 2001. The cost of egg production: increased egg production reduces future fitness in gulls. J. Avian Biol. 32: 159–166. , and .
- 1996. Clutch size and malaria resistance. Nature 381: 565. , and .
- 2001. Effects of age, breeding experience, mate fidelity and site fidelity on breeding performance in a declining population of Cassin's auklets. J. Anim. Ecol. 70: 1088–1097. , and .
- 2008. Food supplementation: a tool to increase reproductive output? A case study in the threatened Florida scrub-jay. Biol. Conserv. 141: 162–173. , , , , and .
- 1997. Reduced immunocompetence of nestlings in replacement clutches of the European magpie. Proc. R. Soc. B 264: 1593–1598. , and .
- 1980. Factors influencing the growth of the little auk, Plautus alle (L), nestlings on Spitsbergen. Ekol. Pol. 28: 557–581. .
- 1981. Breeding biology of the little auk, Plautus alle in the Hornsund region, SW Spitsbergen. Acta Ornithol. 18: 141–165. .
- 1995. Predator–prey interactions between glaucous gull Larus hyperboreus and little auk Alle alle in Spitsbergen. Acta Ornithol. 29: 155–170. .
- 2001. Alle alle little auk. BWP update. J. Birds Western Palearctic 3: 175–201. .
- 2000. Climate change and constraints on breeding. Nature 406: 366–367. and .
- 2001. The costs of egg production and incubation in great tits (Parus major). Proc. R. Soc. B 268: 1271–1277. and .
- 2009. Daily energy expenditure increases in response to low nutritional stress in an Arctic-breeding seabird with no effect on mortality. Funct. Ecol. 23: 1081–1090. , , , and .
- 2009. Extra-pair copulations are frequent but unsuccessful in a highly colonial seabird, the little auk, Alle alle. Anim. Behav. 77: 433–438. , , and .
- 2012. Is the transition from biparental to male-only care in a monogamous seabird related to changes in body mass and stress level? J. Ornithol. 153: 793–800. , , and .
- 1980. Repeat laying by kittiwakes Rissa tridactyla. Ibis 122: 226–229. .
- 1988. Growth-curve analysis: a critical reevaluation. Auk 105: 208–210. .