Movements and activities of male black-tailed gulls in breeding and sabbatical years
Article first published online: 1 JUL 2013
© 2013 The Authors
Journal of Avian Biology
Volume 44, Issue 6, pages 603–608, November 2013
How to Cite
Kazama, K., Hirata, K., Yamamoto, T., Hashimoto, H., Takahashi, A., Niizuma, Y., Trathan, P. N. and Watanuki, Y. (2013), Movements and activities of male black-tailed gulls in breeding and sabbatical years. Journal of Avian Biology, 44: 603–608. doi: 10.1111/j.1600-048X.2013.00103.x
- Issue published online: 21 NOV 2013
- Article first published online: 1 JUL 2013
- Paper manuscript accepted 9 May 2013
- 2004. A miniature daylight level and activity data recorder for tracking animals over long periods. Mem. Natl Inst. Polar Res. 58: 227–233. .
- 1996. Control of bird migration. – Chapman and Hall. .
- 2001. Adjustment to climate change is constrained by arrival date in a long-distance migrant bird. Nature 411: 296–298. and .
- 2007. Intermittent breeding as a cost of site fidelity. Behav. Ecol. Sociobiol. 61: 551–556. .
- 1988. Foraging behavior in gulls: differences in method, prey and habitat. Colonial Waterbirds 11: 9–23. .
- 1993. Nocturnal behavior of gulls in coastal New Jersey. Estuaries Coasts 16: 809–814. and .
- 1997. Intermittent breeding in the herring gull Larus argentatus and the lesser black-backed gull Larus fuscus. Ibis 139: 259–263. and .
- 2011. The kittiwake. – T and AD Poyser. .
- 2002. Can non-breeding be a cost of breeding dispersal? Behav. Ecol. Sociobiol. 51: 153–163. and .
- 2011. Breaking the routine: individual Cory’s shearwaters shift winter destinations between hemispheres and across ocean basins. Proc. R. Soc. B 278: 1786–1793. , , , and .
- 2007. Climate and the match or mismatch between predator requirements and resource availability. Clim. Res. 33: 271–283. , , and .
- 1996. Nocturnal scavenging by gulls in the southern North Sea. Colonial Waterbirds 19: 232–241. and .
- 2010. Physiological ecology of breeders and sabbaticals in a pelagic seabird. J. Exp. Mar. Biol. Ecol. 389: 13–17. , , and .
- 2010. Age and the timing of breeding in a long-lived bird: a role for stress hormones? Funct. Ecol. 24: 1007–1016. , , and .
- 2005. Behavioural flexibility during year-round foraging in macaroni penguins. Mar. Ecol. Prog. Ser. 296: 183–196. , , , and .
- 2005. Year-round recordings of behavioural and physiological parameters reveal the survival strategy of a poorly insulated diving endotherm during the Arctic winter. J. Exp. Biol. 208: 4231–4241. , , , , , and .
- 2011. A dispersive migration in the Atlantic puffin and its implications for migratory navigation. PLoS One 6: e21336. , , , , , and .
- 2008. Responses in breeding behaviour of black-tailed gull Larus crassirostris to different marine environments. – In: Okada H., Mawatari S. F., Suzuki N. and Gautam P. (eds), Proc. Int. Symp. The Origin and Evolution of Natural diversity, October 2007, Sapporo. Hokkaido-Univ. Press, pp. 215–220. , , , , and .
- 2012. Consistent individual variation in aggressiveness and behavioral syndrome across breeding contexts in changing environment in the black-tailed gull. J. Ethol. 30: 279–288. , and .
- 2007. Population dynamics in a long-lived seabird: I. Impact of breeding activity on survival and breeding probability in unbanded king penguins. J. Anim. Ecol. 76: 1149–1160. , , , , , and .
- 2011. Winter dispersal and activity patterns of post-breeding black-legged kittiwakes Rissa tridactyla from Prince William Sound, Alaska. Mar. Ecol. Prog. Ser. 442: 241–253. , , , and .
- 1997. Intermittent breeding in Cory’s shearwater Calonectris diomedea of Selvagem Grande, North Atlantic. Ibis 139: 40–44. , and .
- 2010. Bird migration. – Harper Collins. .
- 2004. Accuracy of geolocation estimates for flying seabirds. Mar. Ecol. Prog. Ser. 266: 265–272. , , , and .
- 2005. Summer distribution and migration of nonbreeding albatrosses: individual consistencies and implications for conservation. Ecology 86: 2386–2396. , , , and .
- 2007. Phenotypic changes in spring arrival: evolution, phenotypic plasticity, effects of weather and condition. Clim. Res. 35: 5–23. .
- 2001. Effects of age, breeding experience, mate fidelity and site fidelity on breeding performance in a declining population of Cassin’s auklets. J. Anim. Ecol. 70: 1088–1097. , and .
- 1962. Breeding cycles and behavior of laysan and black-footed albatrosses. Auk 79: 517–567. and .
- 1997. Flight speed of seabirds in relation to wind speed and direction. Ibis 139: 234–251. and .
- 1992. The evolution of life histories. – Oxford Univ. Press. .
- 2008. Post-breeding movement and activities of two streaked shearwaters in the north-western Pacific. Ornithol. Sci. 7: 29–35. , , , , , , and .
- 1987. Inter- and intra-specific differences in feeding habit in Laridae. – PhD thesis, Hokkaido Univ., in Japanese. .
- 2000. Oceanic respite for wandering albatrosses. Nature 406: 955–956. and .
- 1966. Natural selection, the costs of reproduction, and a refinement of Lack’s principle. Am. Nat. 100: 687–690. .
- 2004. Seasonal and interannual variability of sea surface chlorophyll a concentration in the Japan/East Sea (JES). Prog. Oceanogr. 61: 193–211. , , , and .
- 2008. The lunar cycle affects at-sea behaviour in a pelagic seabird, the streaked shearwater, Calonectris leucomelas. Anim. Behav. 76: 1647–1652. , , , , , and .
- 2010. At-sea distribution and behavior of streaked shearwaters (Calonectris leucomelas) during the nonbreeding period. Auk 127: 871–881. , , , and .