Haemosporidian parasitism in the blackcap Sylvia atricapilla in relation to spring arrival and body condition
Article first published online: 12 AUG 2013
© 2013 The Authors
Journal of Avian Biology
Volume 44, Issue 6, pages 521–530, November 2013
How to Cite
Santiago-Alarcon, D., Mettler, R., Segelbacher, G. and Schaefer, H. M. (2013), Haemosporidian parasitism in the blackcap Sylvia atricapilla in relation to spring arrival and body condition. Journal of Avian Biology, 44: 521–530. doi: 10.1111/j.1600-048X.2013.00181.x
- Issue published online: 21 NOV 2013
- Article first published online: 12 AUG 2013
- Paper manuscript accepted 15 May 2013
- 2011. Animal migration and infectious disease risk. Science 331: 296–302. , and .
- 2009. Do haemo sporidians affect fuel deposition rate and fuel load in migratory blackcaps Sylvia atricapilla? Ardeola 56: 41–47. , and .
- 2011. Are chronic avian haemosporidian infections costly in wild birds? J. Avian Biol. 42: 530–537. , and .
- 2000. Pathogenicity of avian malaria in experimentally infected Hawaii Amakihi. J. Wildlife Dis. 36: 197–204. , , and .
- 2005. Assortative mating as a mechanism for rapid evolution of a migratory divide. Science 310: 502–504. , , , , , , , and .
- 1990. Change in status of haematozoan infections in wild passeriforms sampled in successive years. Proc. Zool. Soc., Calcutta: 43: 9–18. and .
- 2009. A public database of malaria parasites and related haemosporidians in avian hosts based on mitochondrial cytochrome b lineages. Mol. Ecol. Res. 9: 1353–1358. , and .
- 2006. Sensitive measure of prevalence and parasitaemia of haemosporidia from European blackbird (Turdus merula) populations: value of PCR-RFLP and quantitative PCR. Parasitology 133: 685–692. , , , , , and .
- 1992. Rapid microevolution of migratory behavior in a wild bird species. Nature 360: 668–670. , , and .
- 1938. The duration of Plasmodium relictum infection in canaries. Parasitology 30: 388–391. , and .
- 1974. Parasitism and distributional gaps between allopatric species. Am. Nat. 108: 880–883. .
- 2008. Migration strategies of wintering populations of red knots Calidris canutus rufa in South America: the role of parasite pressure. Ardeola 55: 193–202. , , , and
- 1993. Living with parasites: prevalence of a blood parasite and its effects on survivorship in the purple martin. Auk 110: 109–116. and .
- 2006. Are multiple infections more severe for purple martins (Progne subis) than single infections? Auk 123: 141–147. and .
- 2010. Blood parasites in migrating wood-warblers (Parulidae): effects on refueling, energetic condition, and migration timing. J. Avian Biol. 41: 147–153. and .
- 1968. Relapses in ducks chronically infected with Leucocytozoon simondi and Parahaemoproteus nettionis. Can. J. Zool. 46: 281–285. , and .
- 2010. Dissemination of spotted fecer rickettsia agents in Europe by migrating birds. PLoS One 5: e8572. , , , , , , and .
- 1998. Fatal combined infection with Haemoproteus noctuae and Leucocytozoon ziemanni in juvenile snowy owls (Nyctea scandiaca). Vet. Rec. 143: 72–76. and .
- 1994. Evolution of infectious disease. – Oxford Univ. Press. .
- 1957. Biting midges (Diptera: Ceratopogonidae) as intermediate hosts for Haemoproteus of ducks. Can. J. Zool. 35: 425–435. and .
- 2006. Blood parasites of neartic-neotropical migrant passerine birds during spring trans-gulf migration: impact on host body condition. J. Parasitol. 92: 990–996. , and .
- 1987. Quantification of hematozoa in blood smears. J. Wild. Dis. 23: 558–565. , and .
- 2007. Temporal patterns of occurrence and transmission of the blood parasite Haemoproteus payevskyi in the great reed warbler Acrocephalus arundinaceus. J. Ornithol. 148: 401–409. , , and .
- 2007. Detecting shifts of transmission areas in avian blood parasites – a phylogenetic approach. Mol. Ecol. 16: 1281–1290. , , , , , , and .
- 2011. Migration impacts on communities and ecosystems: empirical evidence and theoretical insights. – In: Milner-Gulland E. J., and (eds), Animal migration: a synthesis. Oxford Univ. Press, pp. 131–143. , , , and .
- 2011. Molecular epidemiology of malaria prevalence and parasitaemia in a wild bird population. Mol. Ecol. 20: 1062–1076. , , , , and .
- 2010. Molecular phylogenetic and morphological analysis of haemosporidian parasites (Haemosporida) in a naturally infected European songbird, the blackcap Sylvia atricapilla, with description of Haemoproteus pallidulus sp. nov. Parasitology 137: 217–227. , , , , and .
- 2011. Infection dynamics of endemic malaria in a wild bird population: parasite species-dependent drivers of spatial and temporal variation in transmission rates. J. Anim. Ecol. 80: 1207–1216. , , , and .
- 2008. Parasites in food webs: the ultimate missing links. Ecol. Lett. 11: 533–546. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , and .
- 1934. The duration of malaria infection in birds. Am. J. Hyg. 19: 532–538. .
- 2010. The blood parasite Haemoproteus reduces survival in a wild bird: a medication experiment. Biol. Lett. 6: 663–665. , , , , , , and .
- 2005. Malaria parasites decrease reproductive success: an experimental study in a passerine bird. Oecologia 142: 541–545. , , and .
- 2008. Effects of malaria double infection in birds: one plus one is not two. J. Evol. Biol. 21: 979–987. , , , and .
- 2011. Fat stores in a migratory bird: a reservoir of carotenoid pigments for times of need? J. Comp. Physiol. B 181: 269–275. and .
- 2004. Parasitism, immunity, and arrival date in a migratory bird, the barn swallow. Ecology 85: 206–219. , and .
- 2008. The migration ecology of birds. Elsevier. .
- 2008. Plasmodium relictum (lineage P-SGS1): effects on experimentally infected passerine birds. Exp. Parasitol. 120: 372–380. , , and .
- 2011. Plasmodium relictum (lineage SGS1) and Plasmodium ashfordi (lineage GRW2): the effects of the coinfection on experimentally infected passerine birds. Exp. Parasitol. 127: 527–533. , , and .
- 2009. New perspective for estimating body condition from mass/length data: the scaled mass index as an alternative method. Oikos 118: 1883–1891. and .
- 2010. The paradigm of body condition: a critical reappraisal of current methods based on mass and length. Funct. Ecol. 24: 1323–1332. and .
- 2005a. Diagnosing genetically diverse avian malarial infections using mixed-sequence analysis and TA-cloning. Parasitology 131: 15–23. and .
- 2005b. Dispersal increases local transmission of avian malaria parasites. Ecol. Lett. 8: 838–845. and .
- 2004. Historical diversification of migration patterns in a passerine bird. Evolution 58: 1819–1832. , , , and .
- 2007. Within-host speciation of malaria parasites. PLoS One 2: e235. , , , , , , , and .
- 1997. Do global patterns of habitat use and migration strategies co-evolve with relative investments in immuno competence due to spatial variation in parasite pressure? Oikos 80: 623–631. .
- 1993. Blood parasites and male fitness in the pied flycatcher. Oecologia 96: 410–414. , and .
- 2009. Contemporary evolution of reproductive isolation and phenotypic divergence in sympatry along a migratory divide. Curr. Biol. 19: 1–5. , , and .
- 2010. Spring arrival along a migratory divide of sympatric blackcaps (Sylvia atricapilla). Oecologia 162: 175–183. , and .
- 2011. Prevalence, diversity and interaction patterns of avian haemosporidians in a four-year study of blackcaps in a migratory divide. Parasitology 138: 324–235. , , , and .
- 2012. Parasitism in the endemic Galápagos dove (Zenaida galapagoensis) and its relation to host genetic diversity and immune response. Stud. Avian Biol. 42: 31–41. , and .
- 2013. Urban forests as hubs for novel zoonosis: blood meal analysis, seasonal variation in Culicoides (Diptera: Ceratopogonidae) vectors, and avian haemosporidians. – Parasitology in press. , , , and .
- 2001. Sylvia warblers. – Princeton Univ. Press. , and .
- 2004. Migratory movements of sharp-shinned hawks (Accipiter striatus) captured in New Mexico in relation to prevalence, intensity, and biogeography of avian hematozoa. Auk 121: 837–846. , and .
- 2005. Avian malaria parasites and other haemosporidia. – CRC Press. .
- 2004. Factors affecting the relapse of Haemoproteus belopolskyi infections and the parasitaemia of Trypanosoma spp. in a naturally infected European songbird, the blackcap, Sylvia atricapilla. Parasitol. Res. 93: 218–222. , , and .
- 2006. Effect of Haemoproteus belopolskyi (Haemosporida: Haemoproteidae) on body mass of the blackcap Sylvia atricapilla. J. Parasitol. 92: 1123–1125. , , and .
- 2008. A comparative analysis of microscopy and PCR-based detection methods for blood parasites. J. Parasitol. 94: 1395–1401. , , , , and .
- 2002. Cross-species infection of blood parasites between resident and migratory songbirds in Africa. Mol. Ecol. 11: 1545–1554. , , , and .
- 2004. A new nested polymerase chain reaction method very efficient in detecting Plasmodium and Haemoproteus infections from avian blood. J. Parasitol. 90: 191–194. , , and
- 1997. Generalized linear modeling for parasitologists. Parasitol. Today 13: 33–38. and .
- 1996. Analysis of aggregated parasite distributions: a comparison of methods. Funct. Ecol. 10: 592–601. , and .
- 2000. Effects of malaria on activity budgets of experimentally infected juvenile Apapane (Himatione sanguinea). Auk 117: 731–738. and .
- 1999. Biostatistical analysis, 4th ed. – Prentince Hall. .