Online discussion boards in dental education: potential and challenges
Article first published online: 17 MAR 2011
© 2011 John Wiley & Sons A/S
European Journal of Dental Education
Volume 16, Issue 1, pages e3–e9, February 2012
How to Cite
Linjawi, A. I., Walmsley, A. D. and Hill, K. B. (2012), Online discussion boards in dental education: potential and challenges. European Journal of Dental Education, 16: e3–e9. doi: 10.1111/j.1600-0579.2010.00662.x
- Issue published online: 18 JAN 2012
- Article first published online: 17 MAR 2011
- Accepted: 4 October 2010
- 1The dental education environment. J Dent Educ 2006: 70: 1265–1270., , , et al.
- 2Educational strategies associated with development of problem-solving, critical thinking, and self-directed learning. J Dent Educ 2006: 70: 925–936., , , et al.
- 4Conceptualising the awareness of collaboration: a qualitative study of a global virtual team. Comput Support Coop Work 2005: 14: 301–322., , .
- 5Thinking in education, 2nd edn. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 2003..
- 7Critical thinking, cognitive presence, and computer conferencing in distance education. Am J Distance Educ 2001: 15: 7–23. Retrieved from (http://www.communityofinquiry.com/files/CogPres_Final.pdf). Last accessed (7 January 2010)., , .
- 9Studying the effectiveness of the discussion forum in online professional development courses. Paper prepared for the 2006 Annual Meeting of the American Educational Research Association San Francisco April 11, 2006. p. 1–32..
- 10The impact of internet learning technology: experimental methods of determination. In: Mann BL ed Selected styles in web-based educational research. Hershey, PA: Idea Group Publishing, 2006: 282–301., .
- 11An evaluation of selected pedagogical attributes of online discussion boards. In Hello! Where are you in the landscape of educational technology? Proceedings of the Ascilite Melbourne 2008: 861–865. Retrieved from http://www.ascilite.org.au/conferences/melbourne08/procs/sahu.pdf. Last accessed (20 January 2010)..
- 13Active, interactive, and reflective e-learning. Q Rev Distance Educ 2002: 3: 181–190..
- 14Online discussions: promoting effective student to student interaction. In Beyond the comfort zone. Proceedings of the 21st ASCILITE Conference 2004: p. 956–960. Retrieved from http://www.ascilite.org.au/conferences/perth04/procs/wozniak.html. Last accessed (20 January 2010)., .