Please indicate how you rate yourself:
1 is the lowest rating, and 5 is the highest.
In my University work, I am able to analyse an assignment topic to identify what information I need.
I use a variety of strategies (e.g. reading lists, independent searching of library catalogues and databases) to find information for my university assignments.
When analysing information I am able to evaluate what to use and what to discard.
My computer skills include the ability to use a range of software applications (e.g. Word processing, email) and I am able to edit, save and print my work.
When selecting information for my assignments, I am able to provide evidence which is relevant to my topic.
I am able to summarise other people’s ideas in my own words.
In my assignments I am able to give credit to the original ideas of others.
1. To find the most current information on your topic you would consult? (Please mark one response).
2. Of the two references listed below please mark the book reference. (Mark one response).
Palmer, Carole (2007). Diet and nutrition in oral health. Upper Saddle River: Pearson.
Mobley, C. (2008). Fad diets: facts for dental professionals. JADA, vol. 139, no 1, p. 48–50
3. Which of the following are qualities that are useful in the journal articles you use for your assignments? (Mark as many options as you need)
Written for general readers
Has a bibliography or reference list
Is older than ten years
Reports on the results of a research study
Is from a scholarly journal
4. Which of the following is the best way to locate reputable journal articles on a given topic? (Please mark one response).
Page by page through print volumes of academic journals
Search a general web search engine like Google or Yahoo
Search a database e.g. PubMed
Search the book collection of the UQ Library
5. Consider the assignment topic: “Discuss the oral health problems associated with elderly Australians living in residential care institutions.”
Below are 3 student interpretations of the topic above. Choose which one you think is the best interpretation of the topic.
This essay is about determining what the main oral health problems elderly Australians have.
The point of this essay is to first identify the main oral health problems elderly Australians living in residential care institutions have, then explain what features associated with being elderly in a residential care facility might be contributing to these problems, and from that argue what and how oral health practitioners might contribute to improving the situation.
This essay requires a description of the main oral health problems elderly Australians living in residential care institutions have and the reasons they have them.
6. You have been asked to research the relationship between periodontal disease and diabetes mellitus. Which of the following would be the most suitable search strategy in the PubMed database for finding journal articles on this topic?
(Please mark one response).
Diabetes mellitus or periodontitis
Periodontal diseases or diabetes
Periodontal disease and diabetes mellitus
Gingivitis and diabetes mellitus
7. Which of these facts about plagiarism is correct? (Mark as many options as you need.)
Plagiarism is misrepresenting someone else’s work or ideas as your own
Plagiarism is academic dishonesty
Information from the internet does not need to be acknowledged
Information known as “common knowledge” does not need to be acknowledged
8. What is the issue number in the following citation:
Browne, L., S. Mehra, et al. (2004). “Comparing lecture and e-learning as pedagogies for new and experienced professionals in dentistry.” Br Dent J 197(2): 95–7.
9. You have been asked to find articles on oral health problems associated with Australian Aboriginal children, but are having difficulty finding enough information. Which of the following articles might also be useful? (Mark as many options as you need).
Oral health status and behaviours of children in rural districts of Cambodia. Int Dent J. 2008 Feb;58(1):15–22.
Krustup U, Petersen PE.
Dental caries prevalence among adults in Denmark--the impact of socio-demographic factors and use of oral health services. Community Dent Health. 2007 Dec;24(4):225–32.
Dental caries among 12-year-old children in northern Poland between 1987 and 2003. Eur J Paediatr Dent. 2007 Sep;8(3):125–30.
Dental caries status and treatment needs of children of fisher folk communities, residing in the coastal areas of Karnataka region, south India. West Indian Med J. 2007 Jan;56(1):96–8.
10. You have found some sources of information on your assignment topic and you want to use some of the information for your assignment. When does this require a reference to the source of the information? (Mark as many options as you need).
When you copy word for word a sentence or two from a journal article or book chapter
When you write in your own words the views being made in a web page;
When you write in your own words the views being made in a journal article
When you copy information from an unpublished letter
11. Read the following paragraph.
Most researchers agree that it is inappropriate to attempt to isolate a single main cause of an accident (1). However, earlier motor vehicle crash studies demonstrated that about 90% of all accidents could be attributed to road user characteristics (2). Hence, road user behaviour is often examined for compliance with existing traffic rules and regulations (3). “Speed Kills” has been used for many years as an educational slogan to drive at reasonable speeds (4).
References are required in which of the numbered positions?
2 and 3
1, 2, 3 and 4
1, 2, and 3,
Thank you for your assistance.