Different values for the measuring depth of the Corneometer have been reported in the literature. The manufacturer claims the value of 10–20 μm below the SC surface (7) and the European Group for Efficacy Measurements on Cosmetics and Other Topical Products (EEMCO) – 60–100 μm below the SC surface (19). A study with inserted isolating sheets between the probe and the SC surface has found that the measured signal drops to 50% of its original value after 12 μm (20).
Depth profiling of Stratum corneum hydration in vivo: a comparison between conductance and confocal Raman spectroscopic measurements
Version of Record online: 13 MAR 2009
© 2009 John Wiley & Sons A/S
Volume 18, Issue 10, pages 870–876, October 2009
How to Cite
Boncheva, M., De Sterke, J., Caspers, P. J. and Puppels, G. J. (2009), Depth profiling of Stratum corneum hydration in vivo: a comparison between conductance and confocal Raman spectroscopic measurements. Experimental Dermatology, 18: 870–876. doi: 10.1111/j.1600-0625.2009.00868.x
- Issue online: 11 SEP 2009
- Version of Record online: 13 MAR 2009
- Accepted for publication 30 January 2009
- 2Skin Moisturization. New York: Macerl Dekker, 2002., , eds.
- 8Characterization of molecular transport across human Stratum corneum in vivo. In: BronaughR L, MaibachH I, eds. Percutaneous Adsorption, 3rd edn. New York: Marcel Dekker Inc, 1999: 149–175., , , .
- 9Handbook of Non-invasive Methods and the Skin. Boca Raton, FL: CRC Press, 2006: 329–361., , , eds.
- 22Predictive approaches I. The stripping technique. In: ShahV P, MaibachH I, eds. Topical Drug Bioavailability, Bioequivalence, and Penetration. New York: Plenum, 1993: 163–181., .
- 25Electrical measurement of the water content of the Stratum corneum in vivo and in vitro under various conditions: comparison between skin surface hygrometer and corneometer in evaluation of the skin surface hydration state. Acta Derm Venereol 1993: 73: 335–339., , .
- 35Biomembranes: Molecular Structure and Function. New York: Springer-Verlag Inc, 1989..
- 37In vivo measurement of dynamics of water movement across the Stratum corneum after barrier disruption. J Invest Dermatol 2005: 125 (Suppl. S): A11065., , , , , .
- 40Modeling and interpretation of water concentration gradients in the Stratum corneum as measured by confocal Raman microscpectroscopy. Int J Cosm Sci. 2007: 29: 235., , .