Divergent, genetically based feeding behaviour of two sympatric Arctic charr, Salvelinus alpinus (L.), morphs
Version of Record online: 19 JUN 2006
Ecology of Freshwater Fish
Volume 15, Issue 3, pages 350–355, September 2006
How to Cite
Klemetsen, A., Knudsen, R., Primicerio, R. and Amundsen, P.-A. (2006), Divergent, genetically based feeding behaviour of two sympatric Arctic charr, Salvelinus alpinus (L.), morphs. Ecology of Freshwater Fish, 15: 350–355. doi: 10.1111/j.1600-0633.2006.00128.x
- Issue online: 19 JUN 2006
- Version of Record online: 19 JUN 2006
- Accepted for publication December 13, 2005
- 2002. The functional significance of inherited differences in feeding morphology in a sympatric polymorphic population of Arctic charr. Evolutionary Ecology 16: 15–25. &
- 1998. Trophic polymorphism in an Arctic charr population from Loch Rannoch, Scotland. Journal of Fish Biology 52: 1259–1272. , , , , &
- 2002. Diversification, sympatric speciation, and trophic polymorphism of Arctic charr, Salvelinus alpinus complex, in Transbaikalia. Environmental Biology of Fishes 64: 97–114. , , &
- 2002. Statistical computing. An introduction to data analysis using S-Plus. New York: John Wiley.
- 1988. The evolution of ecological specialization. Annual Review of Ecology and Systematics 19: 207–233. &
- 1982. Habitat and food segregation of dwarf and normal Arctic charr (Salvelinus alpinus) from Vangsvatnet Lake, western Norway. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 39: 1030–1045. &
- 2001. Polymorphism and speciation in Arctic charr. Journal of Fish Biology 58: 605–638. &
- 1985. Bear Island charr. Report of the Institute of Freshwater Research, Drottningholm 62: 98–119. , , &
- 1997. A profundal, winter-spawning morph of Arctic charr Salvelinus alpinus (L.) in Lake Fjellfrøsvatn, northern Norway. Nordic Journal of Freshwater Research 73: 13–23. , , &
- 2002. Evidence for genetic differences in the offspring of two sympatric morphs of Arctic charr. Journal of Fish Biology 60: 933–950. , , &
- 2003a. Atlantic salmon Salmo salar L., brown trout Salmo trutta L. and Arctic charr Salvelinus alpinus (L.): a review of aspects of their life histories. Ecology of Freshwater Fish 12: 1–59. , , , , , &
- 2003b. Habitat, diet and food assimilation of Arctic charr under the winter ice in two subarctic lakes. Journal of Fish Biology 62: 1082–1098. , , &
- 1997. Parasite communities in two sympatric morphs of Arctic charr Salvelinus alpinus (L.) in northern Norway. Canadian Journal of Zoology 75: 2003–2009. , &
- 1999. Correlated trophic specialization and genetic divergence in sympatric lake whitefish ecotypes (Coregonus clupeaformis): support for that ecological speciation hypothesis. Evolution 53: 1491–1505. &
- 1995. Evidence for two morphotypes of Arctic charr Salvelinus alpinus (L.) from Lake Hazen, Ellesmere Island, Northwest Territories, Canada. Nordic Journal of Freshwater Research 71: 396–410. , , , &
- 2002. Changing times, spaces, and faces: tests and implications of adaptive morphological plasticity in the fishes of northern postglacial lakes. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 59: 1819–1933. &
- 2000. A pluralistic analysis of character release in pumkinseed sunfish (Lepomis gibbosus). Ecology 81: 2799–2812. , &
- 2005. Ecological speciation. Ecology Letters 8: 336–352. &
- 1992. The arctic charr Salvelinus alpinus in Thingvallavatn. Oikos 64: 305–351. , , , , , , , , &
- 1996. Ecological speciation in postglacial fishes. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society of London, Series B 351: 807–814.
- 2000. The ecology of adaptive radiation. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 288 pp.
- 2001. Ecology and the origin of species. Trends in Ecology and Evolution 16: 372–380.
- 1992. Ecological character displacement and speciation in sticklebacks. American Naturalist 140: 85–108. &
- 1995. Resource polymorphisms in vertebrates. Trends in Ecology and Evolution 10: 366–370. &
- 1993. Genetically based differences in foraging behaviour among sympatric morphs of Arctic charr (Pisces: Salmonidae). Animal Behaviour 45: 1179–1192. , , &
- 1999. Sympatric morphs, populations and speciation in freshwater fish with emphasis on Arctic charr. In: Magurran, A.E. & May, R.M., eds. Evolution of biological diversity. Oxford: Oxford University Press, pp. 70–92. , &
- 1996. Evolutionary significance of resource polymorphisms in fishes, amphibians and birds. Annual Reviews in Ecology and Systematics 27: 111–133. &
- 1989. Behavioral environments and evolutionary change. Annual Reviews in Ecology and Systematics 20: 137–169.
- 2004. Genetic differences between two sympatric morphs of Arctic charr confirmed by microsatellite DNA. Journal of Fish Biology 65: 1185–1191. , ,
- 2004. Population genetic structure of Arctic charr, Salvelinus alpinus from northwest Europe on large and small spatial scales. Molecular Ecology 13: 1129–1142. , , , , , , &