Pattern detection in null model analysis
Article first published online: 27 JUN 2012
© 2012 The Authors
Volume 122, Issue 1, pages 2–18, January 2013
How to Cite
Ulrich, W. and Gotelli, N. J. (2013), Pattern detection in null model analysis. Oikos, 122: 2–18. doi: 10.1111/j.1600-0706.2012.20325.x
- Issue published online: 21 DEC 2012
- Article first published online: 27 JUN 2012
- Paper manuscript accepted 16 March 2012
- 2007. On nestedness analyses: rethinking matrix temperature and anti-nestedness. Oikos 116: 716–722. et al.
- 2008. A consistent metric for nestedness analysis in ecological systems: reconciling concept and measurement. Oikos 117: 1227–1239. et al.
- 2012. Rethinking the relationship between nestedness and betadiversity: a comment on Baselga (2010). Global Ecol. Biogeogr. 21: 772–777. et al.
- 1993. The measure of order and disorder in the distribution of species in fragmented habitat. Oecologia 96: 373–382. and .
- 1995. The nestedness temperature calculator: a Visual Basic program, including 294 presence-absence matrices. – AICS Research, Univ. Park, NM and Field Museum, Chicago < http://aics-research.com/nestedness/tempcalc.html >. and .
- 2010. Partitioning the turnover and nestedness components of beta diversity. Global Ecol. Biogeogr. 19: 134–143. .
- 2007. A multiple-site similarity measure independent of richness. Biol. Lett. 3: 642–645. et al.
- 1999. Nested species subsets, gaps, and discrepancy. Oecologia 119: 256–264. and .
- 2008. A two stage probabilistic approach to multiple-community similarity indices. Biometrics 64: 1178–1186. et al.
- 1954. Distance to nearest neighbour as a measure of spatial relationships in populations. Ecology 35: 445–453. and .
- 1973. Spatial autocorrelation. – Pion, London. and .
- 1980. Diversity and the coevolution of competitors, or the ghost of competition past. Oikos 35: 131–138. .
- 1979. The assembly of species communities: chance or competition? Ecology 60: 1132–1140. and .
- 1999. Spatial pattern analysis in plant ecology. – Cambridge Univ. Press. .
- 1957. Zoogeography: the geographical distribution of animals. – Wiley. .
- 1975. Assembly of species communities. – In: Cody M. L. and (eds), Ecology and evolution of communities. Harvard Univ. Press, pp. 342–444. .
- 2009. Indices, graphs and null models: analysing bipartite ecological networks. Open Ecol. J. 2: 7–24. et al.
- 1993. Assembly rules for functional groups in North American desert rodent communities. Oikos 67: 358–370. and .
- 2000. Pattern and process in macroecology. – Blackwell. and .
- 2000. Null model analysis of species co-occurrence patterns. Ecology 81: 2606–2621. .
- 2001. Research frontiers in null model analysis. Global Ecol. Biogeogr. 10: 337–343. .
- 2003. Swap algorithms in null model analysis. Ecology 84: 532–535. and .
- 1996. Null models in ecology. – Smith. Inst. Press, Washington D.C. and .
- 2002. Species co-occurrence: a meta-analysis of J. M. Diamond’s assembly rules model. Ecology 83: 2091–2096. and .
- 2006. Null versus neutral models: what’s the difference? Ecography 29: 793–800. and .
- 2010. The empirical Bayes distribution as a tool to identify non-random species associations. Oecologia 162: 463–477. and .
- 2011. Over-reporting bias in null model analysis: a response to Fayle and Manica (2010). Ecol. Modell. 222: 1337–1339. and .
- 2012. Statistical challenges in null model analysis. Oikos 21: 171–180. and .
- 1973. The intensity of spatial pattern plant communities. J. Ecol. 61: 225–235. .
- 1997. Gradient models, gradient structure and hierarchical structure in plant communities. Oikos 78: 23–30. and .
- 2005. Metacommunities: spatial dynamics and ecological communities. – Univ. of Chicago Press. et al. (eds)
- 2001. The unified theory of biogeography and biodiversity. – Princetion Univ. Press. .
- 2008. Validation of null model tests using Neyman–Pearson hypothesis testing theory. Theor. Ecol. 1: 241–248. .
- 2006. Null models for species co-occurrence patterns: assessing bias and minimum iteration number for the sequential swap. Ecography 29: 786–792. and .
- 2002. Coherence, species turnover, and boundary clumping: elements of meta-community structure. Oikos 97: 237–250. and .
- 1963. An equilibrium theory of insular zoogeography. Evolution 17: 373–387. and .
- 1987. Some observations on the use of taxonomic similarity in large-scale biogeography. J. Biogeogr. 14: 79–87. and .
- 1948. The interpretation of statistical maps. J. R. Stat. Soc. B 10: 243–251. .
- 1986. Nested subsets and the structure of insular mammalian faunas and archipelagos. Biol. J. Linn. Soc. 28: 65–82. and .
- 1968. Association among species of infrequent occurrence: the insect and spider fauna of i...Polyporus betulinus/i (Bulliard) Fries. J. Theor. Biol. 21: 202–216. and .
- 2011. A new conceptual and methodological framework for exploring and explaining pattern in presence–absence data. Oikos 120: 1625–1638. and .
- 2010. A comprehensive framework for the evaluation of metacommunity structure. Oikos 119: 908–917. et al.
- 1976. Species turnover and equilibrium island biogeography. Science 194: 572–578. .
- 1981. Santa Rosalia reconsidered: size ratios and competition. Evolution 35: 1206–1228. and .
- 1990. The checkerboard score and species distributions. Oecologia 85: 74–79. and .
- 1992. Competitive exclusion, or species aggregation? An aid in deciding. Oecologia 91: 419–424. and .
- 2010. A diversity of beta diversities: straightening up a concept gone awry. Part 1. Defining beta diversity as a function of alpha and gamma diversity. Ecography 33: 2–22. .
- 2007a. Null model analysis of species nestedness patterns. Ecology 88: 1824–1831. and .
- 2007b. Disentangling community patterns of nestedness and species co-occurrence. Oikos 116: 2053–2061. and .
- 2010. Null model analysis of species associations using abundance data. Ecology 91: 3384–3397. and .
- 2009. A consumer's guide to nestedness analysis. Oikos 118: 3–17. et al.
- 2002. Phylogenies and community ecology. Annu. Rev. Ecol. Syst. 33: 475–505. et al.
- 1999. Ecological assembly rules: perspectives, advances, retreats. – Cambridge Univ. Press. and (eds)
- 1998. A comparative analysis of nested subset patterns of species composition. Oecologia 113: 1–20. et al.