This research is part of a larger project funded by a postdoctoral fellowship from the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation Program in Health Policy Research, the Fund for the Advancement of the Discipline (run jointly by American Sociological Association and the National Science Foundation), the UCLA Sociology Department, the Center for American Politics and Public Policy at UCLA, the UCLA Senate, and by the UCLA Graduate Summer Research Mentorship Program in the Humanities and Social Sciences. Jeanine Yang, Shanna Gong, Isabelle Huguet Lee, and Jen Marony provided research assistance. Rod Benson, Steve Clayman, Nina Eliasoph, Steve Epstein, John Evans, Michael Hout, Paul Lichterman, Deana Rohlinger, Gabriel Rossman, Bill Roy, Mark Schlesinger, Michael Schudson, Ann Swidler, and Stefan Timmermans provided insightful feedback on previous versions of this article. We further benefited from presenting this article at the UCLA Sociology of Medicine and Health (SOMAH) working group, the UC Berkeley Sociology Departmental Colloquium Series, and the UC Santa Barbara Sociology Departmental Colloquium Series. The ideas put forth in this article were nurtured in conversations with Nicki Beisel, Paul Campos, Marion Fourcade-Gourinchas, Barry Glassner, Darnell Hunt, Eric Oliver, Kevin Riley, Barbara Katz Rothman, Dotan Saguy, Charles W. Smith, Megan Sweeney, and Marilyn Wann. Thanks to the showmethedata listserv for stimulating discussions of obesity research. Thanks to the Statistical Consulting Group at UCLA Academic Technology Services for technical advice. Finally, we are grateful for especially insightful comments we received from an anonymous reviewer at Sociological Forum.
Fat in the Fire? Science, the News Media, and the “Obesity Epidemic”2
Article first published online: 26 OCT 2007
© 2008 Blackwell Publishing Ltd
Volume 23, Issue 1, pages 53–83, March 2008
How to Cite
Saguy, A. C. and Almeling, R. (2008), Fat in the Fire? Science, the News Media, and the “Obesity Epidemic”. Sociological Forum, 23: 53–83. doi: 10.1111/j.1600-0838.2004.00399.x-i1
- Issue published online: 26 OCT 2007
- Article first published online: 26 OCT 2007
Options for accessing this content:
- If you have access to this content through a society membership, please first log in to your society website.
- If you would like institutional access to this content, please recommend the title to your librarian.
- Login via other institutional login options http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/login-options.
- You can purchase online access to this Article for a 24-hour period (price varies by title)
- If you already have a Wiley Online Library or Wiley InterScience user account: login above and proceed to purchase the article.
- New Users: Please register, then proceed to purchase the article.
Registered Users please login:
- Access your saved publications, articles and searches
- Manage your email alerts, orders and subscriptions
- Change your contact information, including your password
Please register to:
- Save publications, articles and searches
- Get email alerts
- Get all the benefits mentioned below!