Quantifying training intensity distribution in elite endurance athletes: is there evidence for an “optimal” distribution?
Article first published online: 27 OCT 2004
Scandinavian Journal of Medicine & Science in Sports
Volume 16, Issue 1, pages 49–56, February 2006
How to Cite
Seiler, K. S. and Kjerland, G. Ø. (2006), Quantifying training intensity distribution in elite endurance athletes: is there evidence for an “optimal” distribution?. Scandinavian Journal of Medicine & Science in Sports, 16: 49–56. doi: 10.1111/j.1600-0838.2004.00418.x
- Issue published online: 27 OCT 2004
- Article first published online: 27 OCT 2004
- Accepted for publication 21 June 2004
- Determination of maximal lactate steady state response in selected sports events. Med Sci Sports Exerc 1996: 28: 241–246. ,
- Physical and training characteristics of top-class marathon runners. Med Sci Sports Exerc 2001: 33: 2089–2097. , , , ,
- Monitoring high intensity endurance exercise with heart rate and thresholds. Med Sci Sports Exerc 1997: 29: 125–132. , , ,
- Adaptation and overtraining in horses subjected to increasing training loads. J Appl Physiol 1994: 76: 1908–1913. , , ,
- Relationship between EMG, blood lactate, and plasma catecholamine thresholds during graded exercise in men. J Physiol Pharmacol 1998: 49: 433–441. , , , , , ,
- Integration of the physiological factors determining endurance performance ability. Exerc Sport Sci Rev 1995: 23: 25–63.
- Endurance training, VO2 max, and OBLA: a longitudinal study of two different age groups. Int J Sports Med 1984: 5: 167–173. , ,
- Intensity of exercise during road race pro-cycling competition. Med Sci Sports Exerc 2000: 32: 1002–1006. , , ,
- Monitoring training in athletes with reference to overtraining syndrome. Med Sci Sports Exerc 1998: 30: 1164–1168.
- Athletic performance in relation to training load. Wis Med J 1996: 95: 370–374. , , ,
- Differences in perceptions of training by coaches and athletes. S Afr J Med 2001: 8: 3–7. , , , ,
- Fitness Cross-Country Skiing. Champaign, IL: Human Kinetics, 1998: 53–56.
- Responses to training in cross-country skiers. Med Sci Sports Exerc 1999: 31: 1211–1217. , , ,
- Changes in ventilatory threshold with exercise training in a sedentary population: the HERITAGE Family Study. Int J Sports Med 2001: 22 (8): 586–92. , , , , , , , ,
- Adaptations to training in endurance cyclists: implications for performance. Sports Med 2001: 31: 511–520. ,
- Assembly of the cellular powerhouse: current issues in muscle mitochondrial biogenesis. Exerc Sport Sci Rev 2000: 28: 68–73. , , ,
- The significance of the aerobic-anaerobic determination of work load intensities during endurance training. Eur J Appl Physiol 1979: 42: 25–34. , ,
- Training–overtraining: influence of a defined increase in training volume vs training intensity on performance, catecholamines and some metabolic parameters in experienced middle and long distance runners. Eur J Appl Physiol 1992: 64: 169–177. , , , , , , , , ,
- Training-overtraining: a prospective, experimental study with experienced middle and long distance runners. Int J Sports Med 1991: 12: 444–452. , , , , , , , , ,
- Effect of training on lactate/ventilatory thresholds: a meta analysis. Med Sci Sports Exerc 1997: 29: 837–843.
- Heart rate response to professional road racing: the Tour de France. Int J Sports Med 1999: 20: 167–172. , , ,
- Physiological differences between professional and elite road cyclists. Int J Sports Med 1998: 19: 342–348. , , , ,
- Analysis of the aerobic anaerobic transition in elite cyclists during incremental exercise with the use of electromyography. Br J Sports Med 1999: 33: 178–185. , , ,
- Examination of four different instruments for measuring blood lactate concentration. Scand J Clin Lab Invest 2000: 60: 367–380. , , ,
- Lore of Running, 4th edn. Champaign, IL: Human Kinetics, 2001: 282–284.
- Explosive strength training improves 5-km running time by improving running economy and muscle power. J Appl Physiol 1999: 86: 1527–1533. , , , ,
- Physiological basis of the sex difference in cardiorespiratory endurance. Sports Med 1984: 1: 87–98. ,
- The 4000-m team pursuit cycling world record: theoretical and practical aspects. Med Sci Sports Exerc 2002: 34: 1029–1036. ,
- Physiological aspects of training in rowing. Int J Sports Med 1993: 14 (Suppl. 1) : S3-10.
- Training of rowers before world championships. Med Sci Sports Exerc 1998: 30: 1158–1163. , , ,