Prevention of hamstring strains in elite soccer: an intervention study
Article first published online: 12 MAR 2007
Copyright © 2007 The Authors
Scandinavian Journal of Medicine & Science in Sports
Volume 18, Issue 1, pages 40–48, February 2008
How to Cite
Arnason, A., Andersen, T. E., Holme, I., Engebretsen, L. and Bahr, R. (2008), Prevention of hamstring strains in elite soccer: an intervention study. Scandinavian Journal of Medicine & Science in Sports, 18: 40–48. doi: 10.1111/j.1600-0838.2006.00634.x
- Issue published online: 12 MAR 2007
- Article first published online: 12 MAR 2007
- Accepted for publication 5 December 2006
- Video analysis of injuries and incidents in Norwegian professional football. Br J Sports Med 2004: 38: 626–631. , , ,
- No effect of a video-based awareness program on the rate of soccer injuries. Am J Sports Med 2005: 33: 77–84. , ,
- Soccer injuries in Iceland. Scand J Med Sci Sports 1996: 6: 40–45. , , ,
- Physical fitness, injuries, and team performance in soccer. Med Sci Sports Exerc 2004a: 36: 278–285. , , , , ,
- Risk factors for injuries in football. Am J Sports Med 2004b: 32: 5S–16S. , , , , ,
- Hamstring injury occurrence in elite soccer players after preseason strength training with eccentric overload. Scand J Med Sci Sports 2003: 13: 244–250. , ,
- Risk factors for sports injuries – a methodological approach. Br J Sports Med 2003: 37: 384–392. ,
- Clinical guide to sports injuries. Windsor: Human Kinetics, 2004. ,
- Isokinetic strength testing does not predict hamstring injury in Australian rules footballers. Br J Sports Med 1998: 32: 309–314. , , , , , , .
- Human hamstring muscles adapt to eccentric exercise by changing optimum length. Med Sci Sports Exerc 2001: 33: 783–790. , ,
- Hamstring muscle strain recurrence and strength performance disorders. Am J Sports Med 2002: 30: 199–203. , , , ,
- Soccer injuries and their mechanisms: a prospective study. Med Sci Sports Exerc 1983a: 15: 267–270. ,
- The avoidability of soccer injuries. Int J Sports Med 1983b: 4: 124–128. ,
- Incidence of soccer injuries and their relation to training and team success. Am J Sports Med 1983: 11: 63–67. , , , ,
- The incidence of ankle sprains in soccer. Foot Ankle 1990: 11: 41–44. ,
- Muscle strain injuries: clinical and basic aspects. Med Sci Sports Exerc 1990: 22: 436–443.
- Increasing hamstring flexibility decreases lower extremity overuse injuries in military basic trainees. Am J Sports Med 1999: 27: 173–176. ,
- A prospective epidemiological study of injuries in four English professional football clubs. Br J Sports Med 1999: 33: 196–203. ,
- The association football medical research programme: an audit of injuries in professional football. Br J Sports Med 2001: 35: 43–47. , , , ,
- Prophylaxis and management of hamstring muscle injuries in intercollegiate football players. Am J Sports Med 1984: 12: 368–370. , , , ,
- Effects of concentric and eccentric training on muscle strength, cross-sectional area, and neural activation. J Appl Physiol 1996: 81: 2173–2181. , , ,
- Adaptive responses to muscle lengthening and shortening in humans. J Appl Physiol 1996: 80: 765–772. , , , , ,
- Amplitude and timing of electromyographic activity during sprinting. Scand J Med Sci Sports 1996: 6: 15–21. , , ,
- Hamstring injuries in sprinters. The role of concentric and eccentric hamstring muscle strength and flexibility. Am J Sports Med 1994: 22: 262–266. , ,
- Concentric versus enhanced eccentric hamstring strength training: clinical implications. J Athl Train 1998: 33: 216–221. , ,
- The incidence of injury in an English professional soccer club during one competitive season. Physiotherapy 1989: 75: 601–605.
- Injuries in runners. Am J Sports Med 1987: 15: 168–171. ,
- The role of fatigue in susceptibility to acute muscle strain injury. Am J Sports Med 1996: 24: 137–143. , , ,
- A kinetic analysis of sprinting. Med Sci Sports Exerc 1981: 13: 325–328.
- A review of injuries to professional footballers in a premier football team (1990–93). Scott Med J 1995: 40: 16–18. ,
- A 10-week randomized trial comparing eccentric vs. concentric hamstring strength training in well-trained soccer players. Scand J Med Sci Sports 2004: 14: 311–317. , , , ,
- Epidemiology and traumatology of injuries in soccer. Am J Sports Med 1989: 17: 803–807. ,
- Preseason hamstring muscle weakness associated with hamstring muscle injury in Australian footballers. Am J Sports Med 1997: 25: 81–85. , , ,
- Intrinsic and extrinsic risk factors for muscle strains in Australian football. Am J Sports Med 2001: 29: 300–303.
- A randomized trial of preexercise stretching for prevention of lower-limb injury. Med Sci Sports Exerc 2000: 32: 271–277. , , ,
- The role of warm-up in muscular injury prevention. Am J Sports Med 1988: 16: 123–129. , , , ,
- Specific effects of eccentric and concentric training on muscle strength and morphology in humans. Eur J Appl Physiol 1998: 79: 49–57. , ,
- Comparative study of isokinetic eccentric and concentric quadriceps training. JOSPT 1991: 14: 31–36. , , , , , , .
- Physiological characteristics of elite soccer players. Sports Med 1993: 16: 80–96.
- The effect of sports specific training on reducing the incidence of hamstring injuries in professional Australian Rules football players. Br J Sports Med 2005: 39: 363–368. , ,
- Clinical risk factors for hamstring muscle strain injury: a prospective study with correlation of injury by magnetic resonance imaging. Br J Sports Med 2001: 35: 435–439. , , , ,
- Sports injuries related to flexibility, posture, acceleration, clinical defects, and previous injury, in high-level players of body contact sports. Int J Sports Med 2001: 22: 222–225.
- Muscle flexibility as a risk factor for developing muscle injuries in male professional soccer players. A prospective study. Am J Sports Med 2003: 31: 41–46. , , , ,
- The Football Association Medical Research Programme: an audit of injuries in professional football – analysis of hamstring injuries. Br J Sports Med 2004: 38: 36–41. , , , , ,
- Relationship between hamstring strains and leg muscle strength. A follow-up study of collegiate track and field athletes. J Sports Med Phys Fitness 1993: 33: 194–199.