Using sport to promote HIV/AIDS education for at-risk youths: an intervention using peer coaches in football
Article first published online: 3 FEB 2008
Copyright © 2009 The Authors. Journal compilation © 2009 Blackwell Munksgaard
Scandinavian Journal of Medicine & Science in Sports
Volume 19, Issue 1, pages 129–141, February 2009
How to Cite
Maro, C. N., Roberts, G. C. and Sørensen, M. (2009), Using sport to promote HIV/AIDS education for at-risk youths: an intervention using peer coaches in football. Scandinavian Journal of Medicine & Science in Sports, 19: 129–141. doi: 10.1111/j.1600-0838.2007.00744.x
- Issue published online: 28 JAN 2009
- Article first published online: 3 FEB 2008
- Accepted for publication 24 September 2007
- Understanding attitudes and predicting social behavior. Englewood Cliffs, NJ: Prentice-Hall, 1980. ,
- Achievement goals, motivational climate and motivational processes. In: RobertsGC, ed. Motivation in sport and exercise. Champaign, IL: Human Kinetics, 1992: 161–176.
- HIV prevention research for African Americans: current and future directions. J Black Psychol 2004: 30: 40–58. , ,
- HIV/AIDS knowledge, attitudes and risk behaviours among African – American and Caribbean college women. Int J Adv Counselling 2001: 23: 115–129. ,
- Responses to AIDS epidemic in Tanzania and Zambia. In: Baylies C, Bujra J, eds. AIDS, Sexuality and Gender in Africa. Collective Strategies and Struggles in Tanzania and Zambia. London: Routledge, 2000: 25–59. ,
- Motivational strategies can enhance HIV risk reduction programs. AIDS Behav 1999: 3: 269–276. ,
- Enhancing motivation to reduce the risk of HIV infection for economically disadvantaged urban women. J Consulting Clin Psychol 1997b: 65: 531–541. , , , , ,
- The HIV-knowledge questionnaire: development and evaluation of a reliable,valid, and practical self-administered questionnaire. AIDS Behav 1997a: 1: 61–74. , ,
- Prevention of HIV infection. AIDS 1994: 8: 1371–1389. ,
- College students' knowledge and attitudes about AIDS and changes in HIV preventive behaviors. AIDS Educ Prevention 1990: 2: 201–212. , ,
- Critical reflections on human capacity development for HIV/AIDS prevention, care and support. Washington: Center for Health Education and Research (CHER), University of Washington, 2003. , ,
- Family structures and student motivation: a developmental perspective. In: AmesC, AmesR, eds. Research on motivation in education. New York: Academic Press, 1989: 259–295.
- Family Health International (FHI) Reaching out-of-school youth with reproductive health and HIV/AIDS information and services. Arlington, VA: Family Health International, YouthNet Program, 2004.
- Belief, attitude, intention, and behavior: an introduction to theory and research. Reading, MA: Addison-Wesley, 1975. ,
- Using the theory of reasoned action as a framework for understanding and changing AIDS related behaviors. In: MaysVM, AlbeeGW, SchneiderSF, eds. Primary prevention of AIDS: psychological approaches. Newbury Park, CA: Sage, 1989: 93–110. ,
- Assessment of AFAO national peer education programme. Canberra: Australian Federation of AIDS Organizations, 1989. ,
- Why do young women have a much higher prevalence of HIV than young men? A study in Kisumu, Kenya and Ndola Zambia. AIDS 2001: 15: 51–60. , , , , , , , .
- AIDS in South Africa. AIDS Society 1993: 4: 10–11. , , , ,
- HIV risk reduction behavioral interventions with heterosexual adolescents. AIDS 2000: 14: 40–52. ,
- Reduction in HIV associated sexual behaviors among balck male adolescents: effects of an AIDS prevention intervention. Am J Public Health 1992: 82: 372–377. , ,
- Predictors of vulnerability to AIDS risk relapse. J Consulting Clin Psychol 1991: 59: 163–166. , ,
- Reducing the risk. Impact of a new curriculum on sexual risk taking. Family Plan Pers 1991: 23: 253–263. , , ,
- AIDS education in Tanzania: promoting risk reduction among primary school children. Am J Public Health 1997: 87: 1931–1936. , , , ,
- Influence of variability in motivation and affect on elite athlete burnout susceptibility. J Sport Exerc Psychol 2006: 28: 32–48. , ,
- Preventing HIV infection in gay and bisexual men: experimental evaluation of attitude change from two risk reduction interventions. AIDS Educ Prevention 1990: 2: 95–108. , , , , , , .
- The AIDS crisis: review of psychological issues and implications with special reference to South African situation. S Afr J Psychol 1995: 25: 1–11. ,
- Achievement goals and motivation to exercise in adolescent girls: a preliminary intervention study. Br J Phys Educ 1992: 11: 12–16. ,
- Prediction of Tanzanian student's HIV risk and preventive behaviours. Norway: Department of psychosocial Science and Research Center for Health Promotion, Faculty of Psychology, University of Bergen, 1996.
- Sexual debut and predictors of condom use among secondary school students in Arusha, Tanzania. AIDS Care 1996: 8: 443–452. , ,
- Predicting HIV preventive behaviours among Tanzanian students using the theory of planned behaviour: the moderating effect of direct experience. Norway: Department of Psychosocial Science, Faculty of psychology, University of Bergen, 1996. ,
- Sexual initiation and premarital childbearing in sub-Saharan Africa. Pop Studies 1994: 48: 47–64.
- Protecting school girls against sexual exploitation: a guardian program in Mwanza, Tanzania. Reprod Health Mat 1998: 6: 19–30. , ,
- Motivation for treatment. A review with special emphasis on alcoholism. Psychol Bull 1985: 98: 84–107.
- Increasing motivation for change. In: HesterRK, MillerWR, eds. Handbook of alcoholism treatment approaches: effective alternatives. New York: Pergamon, 1989: 67–80.
- The relationship of perceived motivational climate to moral functioning, moral atmosphere perceptions, and the legitimacy of intentionally injurious acts among competitive youth football players. Psychol Sport Exerc 2005: 6: 461–477. , ,
- Motivational interviewing: preparing people to change addictive behaviors. New York: Guilford, 1991. ,
- Ministry of Education and culture & Ministry of Science Technology and Higher Education. The Tanzania education system for the 21st century. Report from the Task force. Leeds, UK: University of Leeds Media Service, 1993.
- Ministry of Health. National policy on HIV/AIDS/STD. Dar es salaam, Tanzania: Ministry of Health, National AIDS control programme, United Republic of Tanzania, 1995.
- National AIDS Control Programme (NACP). Medium term plan. Dar es Salaam, Tanzania: National AIDS Control Programme, 1998.
- National AIDS Control Programme (NACP), Bureau of Statistics, & MEASURE Project. AIDS in Africa during nineties: Tanzania youth report. University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. Chapel Hill, NC, 2004.
- Exposure to HIV/AIDS information, AIDS knowledge, perceived risk and attitudes toward people with AIDS among primary children in Northen Tanzania. AIDS Care 1994: 6: 183–191. , , ,
- AIDS risk behaviors of minority youth living in Detroit. Am J Prevent Med 1991: 7: 416–421. ,
- The theory of reasoned action as applied to AIDS prevention for Australian ethnic groups. In: TerryDJ, GalloisC, McCamishM, eds. The theory of reasoned action: its application to AIDS-preventive behavior, 1st edn. Oxford: Pergamon Press Ltd, 1993: 93–117. , ,
- Achievement motivation in children's sport. In: NichollsJG, ed. Advances in motivation and achievement. Development of achievement motivation, Vol. 3. Greenwich, CT: JAI Press, 1984: 251–281.
- Understanding the dynamics of motivation in physical activity. The influence of achievement goals on motivational processes. In: RobertsGC, ed. Advances in motivation in sport and exercise. Champaign, IL: Human Kinetics, 2001: 1–50.
- Understanding the dynamics of motivationa in sport and physical activity: an achievement goal interpretation. In: TenenbaumG, EklundR, eds. Handbook of sport psychology. New Jersey: John Wiley & Sons Inc., 2007: 3–30. , ,
- Reducing HIV sexual risk behaviors among runaway adolescents. J Am Med Assoc 1991: 266: 1237–1241. , , ,
- Clients' perspective of the role of voluntary counselling and testing in HIV/AIDS prevention and care in dar es Salaam, Tanzania: the voluntary counselling and testing efficacy study. AIDS Behav 2000: 4: 35–48. , ,
- 2003. , , , , , . Summary review:YouthNet program assessment conducted for Tanzania. YouthNet, Partners in Reproductive health and HIV prevention,
- Psychological effect of orphanhood. A study of orphans in Rakai district. Health Trans Rev 1997: 7 (suppl.): 105–124. ,
- The post-AIDS structure of student's attitudes to condoms: age, sex, and experience of use. Psychol Rep 1990: 66: 614. , , , ,
- Sport education. Teaching Secondary Physical Education 1996: 3: 8–9.
- Projecting the demographic consequences of adult HIV prevalence trends: the spectrum projection package. Sex Transm Infect 2004: 80: 14–18.
- Using multivariate statistics, 4th edn. Boston: Allyn and Bacon, 2001. ,
- Tanzania Commission for AIDS [TACAIDS] Tanzania HIV/AIDS indicator survey (2003–4). Dar es Sallaam, Tanzania: TACAIDS, 2005.
- The theory of reasoned action. Its application to AIDS preventive behavior. Oxford: Oxford, Pergamon Press Ltd., 1993. , ,
- Application of achievement goal theory to physical education: implication for enhancing motivation. Quest 1995: 47: 475–489. ,
- Student's perception of motivational climate, achievement beliefs and satisfaction in physical education. Res Quart Exerc Sport 2001: 72: 165–175. ,
- UNAIDS 2004. Report on the global AIDS epidemic. Geneva, Switzerland, Joint United Nations Programme on HIV/AIDS (UNAIDS). 2004.
- UNAIDS. UNGASS indicators country report 2003–2005. United republic of Tanzania. Geneva: UNAIDS, 2005.
- UNAIDS. 2006 report on the global AIDS epidemic. Geneva, Switzerland: Joint United Nations Programme on HIV/AIDS (UNAIDS), 2006.
- UNAIDS & WHO. Tanzania: Epidemiological fact sheets on HIV/AIDS and sexually transmitted infections. Switzerland: Working group on Global HIV/AIDS and STI Surveillance, 2000.
- UNGAOR. Sport as a means to promote education, health, development and peace. General Assembly Resolution. 58/5, United Nations, Dic.A/58/l.2/add./, 2003.
- UNICEF. Girls, HIV/AIDS and education. New York: United Nation's Children Fund (UNICEF), 2004.
- United Nations. UN inter-agency task force report on sport for development and peace: towards achieving the millenium development goals. Geneva: United Nations, 2003.
- Factors predicting Zimbabwean students' intention to use condoms. Psychol Health 1992: 7: 99–114. , , ,
- World Bank. Tanzania: AIDS assessment and planning study. Washington: World Bank, 1992.
- World Health Organization (WHO). Guide to planning health promotion for AIDS prevention and control. (Rep. No. 5). Geneva: WHO AIDS series, 1989.