Dehydration and rehydration in competative sport
Version of Record online: 4 OCT 2010
© 2010 John Wiley & Sons A/S
Scandinavian Journal of Medicine & Science in Sports
Special Issue: Exercise in Hot Environments: From Basic Concepts to Field Applications
Volume 20, Issue Supplement s3, pages 40–47, October 2010
How to Cite
Maughan, R. J. and Shirreffs, S. M. (2010), Dehydration and rehydration in competative sport. Scandinavian Journal of Medicine & Science in Sports, 20: 40–47. doi: 10.1111/j.1600-0838.2010.01207.x
- Issue online: 4 OCT 2010
- Version of Record online: 4 OCT 2010
- Accepted for publication 22 July 2010
- Hyponatremia among runners in the Boston Marathon. N Engl J Med 2005: 352: 1550–1556. , , , ,
- Performing in extreme environments. Champaign, IL, USA: Human Kinetics, 2000.
- Hydration assessment techniques. Nutr Rev 2005: 63: S40–S54.
- Influence of diuretic-induced dehydration on competitive running performance. Med Sci Sports Exerc 1985: 17: 456–461. , ,
- Urinary indices during dehydration, exercise, and rehydration. Int J Sport Nutr 1998: 8: 345–355. , , , , ,
- Urinary indices of hydration status. Int J Sport Nutr 1994: 4: 265–279. , , , , , ,
- Circadian rhythms of urine osmolality and renal excretion rates of solutes influencing water metabolism in 21 healthy children. Miner Electrolyte Metab 1991: 17: 377–382. , , , ,
- Physical and metabolic demands of training and match play in the elite soccer player. J Sports Sci 2006: 24: 665–674. , ,
- Fluid and carbohydrate ingestion independently improve performance during 1 h of intense exercise. Med Sci Sports Exerc 1995: 27: 200–210. , , ,
- Heat cramps: fluid and electrolyte challenges during tennis in the heat. J Sci Med Sport 2003: 6: 19–27.
- Fluid balance and endurance performance. Curr Sports Med Rep 2003: 2: 202–208. , ,
- Hydration assessment of athletes. GSSI Sports Sci Exchange 2005: 97 (2): 1–8. ,
- Sweating: its composition and effects on body fluids. Ann NY Acad Sci 1977: 301: 160–174.
- Moderate levels of hypohydration impairs bowling accuracy but not bowling velocity in skilled cricket players. J Sci Med Sport 2001: 4: 179–187. , , ,
- Documenta Geigy Scientific Tables. Manchester: Geigy Pharmaceutical Company Limited, 1962: 538–539.
- Sweat chloride concentration: sweat rate, metabolic rate, skin temperature and age. J Appl Physiol 1966: 21: 99–106. , ,
- Influence of moderate dehydration on soccer performance: physiological responses to 45-min of outdoor match-play and the immediate subsequent performance of sport-specific and mental concentration tasks. Br J Sports Med 2007: 41: 385–391. , , , , ,
- The role of sodium in “heat cramping”. Sports Med 2007: 37: 368–370.
- Effects of ambient temperature on the capacity to perform prolonged cycle exercise in man. Med Sci Sports Ex 1997: 29: 1240–1249. ,
- Effect of skin temperature on multifrequency bioelectrical impedance analysis. J Appl Physiol 1996: 87: 1087–1096. , ,
- Clinical vs statistical significance. Sportscience 2001: 5: 1–2.
- Sodium balance during U. S. football training in the heat: cramp-prone vs. reference players. Int J Sports Med 2009: 30: 789–794. , , , , ,
- Institute of Medicine. Dietary reference intakes for water, potassium, sodium, chloride and sulphate. Washington, DC: National Academy Press, 2005: 73–185.
- Factors influencing chloride concentration in human sweat. Am J Physiol 1944: 141: 575–589. , ,
- Assessing hydration status. Curr Opinion Clin Nutr Metab Care 2002: 5: 519–524.
- Urine color, osmolality and specific electrical conductance are not accurate measures of hydration status during postexercise rehydration. J Sports Med Phys Fitness 1999: 39: 47–53. , ,
- Validity/reliability of sweat analysis by whole-body washdown vs. regional collections. J Appl Physiol 1986: 61: 1967–1971. , ,
- Effects of fluid, electrolyte and substrate ingestion on endurance capacity. Eur J Appl Physiol 1989: 58: 481–486. , ,
- Restoration of fluid balance after exercise-induced dehydration: effects of food and fluid intake. Eur J Appl Physiol 1996: 73: 317–325. , ,
- Fluid and electrolyte intake and loss in elite soccer players during training. Int J Sport Nutr Ex Metab 2004: 14: 327–340. , , ,
- Recovery from prolonged exercise: restoration of water and electrolyte balance. J Sports Sci 2007: 15: 297–303. ,
- Errors in the estimation of sweat loss and changes in hydration status from changes in body mass during exercise. J Sports Sci 2007a: 25: 797–804. , ,
- Fluid and electrolyte balance in elite male football (soccer) players training in a cool environment. J Sports Sci 2005: 23: 73–79. , , ,
- Water balance and salt losses in competitive football. Int J Sport Nutr Ex Metab 2007b: 17: 583–594. , , , ,
- The influence of intermittent high-intensity shuttle running and fluid ingestion on the performance of a soccer skill. J Sports Sci 1999: 17: 895–903. , , ,
- Some effects of high air temperatures and muscular exertion upon colliers. Proc Roy Soc London Series B 1923: 95: 181–200.
- Temperature regulation and prolonged exercise. In: LambDR, MurrayR, eds. Prolonged exercise. Carmel: Benchmark Press, 1988: 125–151.
- Hydration in the marathon. Using thirst to gauge safe fluid replacement. Sports Med 2007: 37: 463–466.
- Bioelectrical impedance to estimate changes in hydration status. Int J Sports Med 2002: 23: 361–366. , ,
- Variation in total body water with muscle glycogen changes in man. Acta Physiol Scand 1970: 80: 11–18. ,
- Pregame urine specific gravity and fluid intake by National Basketball Association players during competition. J Athletic Training 2009: 44: 53–57. , ,
- Water balance during and after marathon running. Eur J Appl Physiol 1996: 73: 49–55. , , , ,
- Variations in regional sweat composition in normal human males. Exp Physiol 2000: 85: 869–875. , ,
- Effects of voluntary fluid intake deprivation on mental and psychomotor performance. Croat J Med 2006: 47: 855–861. , ,
- Blood and urinary measures of hydration status during progressive acute dehydration. Med Sci Sports Ex 2001: 33: 747–753. , , , , ,
- Chemical composition of sweat. Physiol Rev 1954: 34: 202–220. ,
- Exercise and fluid replacement. Med Sci Sports Exerc 2007: 39: 377–390. , , , , ,
- Markers of hydration status. Eur J Clin Nutr 2003: 57: S6–S9.
- The effect of posture change on blood volume, serum potassium and whole body electrical impedance. Eur J Appl Physiol 1994: 69: 461–463. ,
- Whole body sweat collection in man: an improved method with some preliminary data on electrolyte composition. J Appl Physiol 1997: 82: 336–341. ,
- Urine osmolality and conductivity as markers of hydration status. Med Sci Sports Ex 1998: 30: 1598–1602. ,
- The effects of fluid restriction on hydration status and subjective feelings in man. Br J Nutr 2004: 91: 951–958. , , ,
- Post-exercise rehydration in man: effects of volume consumed and sodium content of ingested fluids. Med Sci Sports Ex 1996: 28: 1260–1271. , , ,
- Water and electrolyte needs for football training and match-play. J Sports Sci 2006: 24: 699–707. , ,
- Sweat and sodium losses in NCAA football players: a precursor to heat cramps? Int J Sport Nutr Ex Metab 2005: 15: 641–652. , , , , ,
- Clinical implications of fluid imbalance. In: GisolfiCV, LambDR, eds. Fluid homeostasis during exercise. Carmel: Benchmark Press, 1990: 425–448.
- Heat cramps. A clinical and chemical study. J Clin Invest 1933: 12: 533–549. ,
- Estimation of prepractice hydration status of National Collegiate Athletic Association Division I athletes. J Athletic Training 2009: 44: 624–629. , ,