The Application of the Yo-Yo Intermittent Endurance Level 2 Test to Elite Female Soccer Populations
Article first published online: 19 JUN 2012
© 2012 John Wiley & Sons A/S. Published by John Wiley & Sons Ltd
Scandinavian Journal of Medicine & Science in Sports
Volume 24, Issue 1, pages 43–54, February 2014
How to Cite
Bradley, P. S., Bendiksen, M., Dellal, A., Mohr, M., Wilkie, A., Datson, N., Orntoft, C., Zebis, M., Gomez-Diaz, A., Bangsbo, J. and Krustrup, P. (2014), The Application of the Yo-Yo Intermittent Endurance Level 2 Test to Elite Female Soccer Populations. Scandinavian Journal of Medicine & Science in Sports, 24: 43–54. doi: 10.1111/j.1600-0838.2012.01483.x
- Issue published online: 21 JAN 2014
- Article first published online: 19 JUN 2012
- Manuscript Accepted: 23 APR 2012
- The use of individualized speed and intensity thresholds for determining the distance run at high-intensity in professional soccer. J Sports Sci 2009: 27: 893–898. , .
- Elite female soccer players perform more high-intensity running when playing in international games compared with domestic league games. J Strength Cond Res 2010: 24: 912–919. , , , , .
- Statistical methods for assessing measurement error (reliability) in variables relevant to sports medicine. Sports Med 1998: 26: 217–238. , .
- The physiology of soccer: with special reference to intense intermittent exercise. Acta Physiol Scand 1994: 619 (Suppl.): 1–155. .
- The Yo-Yo intermittent recovery test: a useful tool for evaluation of physical performance in intermittent sports. Sports Med 2008: 38: 37–51. , , .
- Comparison of various exercise tests with endurance performance during soccer in professional players. Int J Sports Med 1992: 13: 125–132. , .
- Physical and metabolic demands of training and match-play in the elite football player. J Sports Sci 2006: 24: 665–674. , , .
- Performance enhancements and muscular adaptations of a 16-week recreational football intervention for untrained women. Scand J Med Sci Sports 2010: 20 (Suppl. 1): 24–30. , , , , , , , .
- Activity profile of competition soccer. Can J Sport Sci 1991: 16: 110–116. , , .
- Making meaningful inferences about magnitudes. Int J Sports Physiol Perform 2006: 1: 50–57. , .
- Sub-maximal and maximal Yo-Yo intermittent endurance test level 2 (Yo-Yo IE2): heart rate response, reproducibility and application to elite soccer. Eur J Appl Physiol 2011: 111: 969–978. , , , .
- High-intensity running in English FA Premier League soccer matches. J Sports Sci 2009: 27: 159–168. , , , , , .
- Match running performance and fitness in youth soccer. Int J Sports Med 2010: 31: 818–825. , , , .
- Match injuries in professional soccer: inter-seasonal variation and effects of competition type, match congestion and positional role. Int J Sports Med 2010: 31: 271–276. , , .
- Competitive-level differences in Yo-Yo intermittent recovery and twelve minute run test performance in soccer referees. J Strength Cond Res 2005: 19: 805–809. , , .
- Running performance differences between men and women: an update. Sports Med 2005: 35: 1017–1024. , , , .
- Statistical power analysis for the behavioural sciences. 2nd edn. Hillsdale: Lawrence Erlbaum, 1988. .
- Validity, reliability and sensitivity of measures of sporting performance. Sports Med 2008: 38: 297–316. , .
- Performance characteristics according to playing position in elite soccer. Int J Sports Med 2007: 28: 222–227. , , , , , .
- Validation of ProZone: a new video-based performance analysis system. Int J Perform Anal Sport 2006: 6: 108–119. , , , .
- Ventilatory, lactate-derived and catecholamine thresholds during incremental treadmill running: relationship and reproducibility. Int J Sports Med 1999: 20: 122–127. , , , , , , .
- Applied physiology of soccer. Sports Med 1986: 3: 50–60. .
- Reproducibility of the blood lactate threshold, 4 mmol.l(-1) marker, heart rate and ratings of perceived exertion during incremental treadmill exercise in humans. Eur J Appl Physiol 2002: 87: 159–166. , , , , , , , .
- Match-to-match variability of high-speed activities in premier league soccer. Int J Sports Med 2010: 31: 237–242. , , , .
- Measures of reliability in sports medicine and science. Sports Med 2000: 30: 1–15. .
- Progressive statistics for studies in sports medicine and exercise science. Med Sci Sports Exerc 2009: 41: 3–13. , , , .
- Reliability of power in physical performance tests. Sports Med 2001: 31: 211–234. , , .
- Aerobic capacities and anthropometric characteristics of elite female soccer players. J Strength Cond Res 2011: 25: 3352–3357. , , .
- Variations in physical capacity among the Danish national soccer team for women during a period of supplementary training. J Sports Sci 1992: 10: 144–145. , .
- Seasonal aerobic performance variation in elite soccer. J Strength Cond Res 2011: 25: 1502–1507. , , .
- Physiological demands of top-class soccer refereeing in relation to physical capacity: effect of intense intermittent exercising training. J Sports Sci 2001: 19: 881–891. , .
- The Yo-Yo intermittent recovery test: physiological response, reliability, and validity. Med Sci Sports Exerc 2003: 35: 697–705. , , , , , , , .
- Physical demands during an elite female soccer game: importance of training status. Med Sci Sports Exerc 2005: 37: 1242–1248. , , , .
- 2006a). The use of sub-maximal and maximal Yo-Yo intermittent endurance testing in soccer. The Proceedings of the Eleventh Annual Conference of the European College of Sport Science, Lausanne, Switzerland. , , , , , .
- The Yo-Yo IR2 test: physiological response, reliability and application to elite soccer. Med Sci Sports Exerc 2006b: 38: 1666–1673. , , , , , .
- Game-induced fatigue patterns in elite female soccer. J Strength Cond Res 2010: 24: 437–441. , , , .
- Lactate threshold responses to a season of professional British youth soccer. Br J Sports Med 2005: 39: 432–436. , , , , , , .
- Physical capacity-match physical performance relationships in soccer: simply, more complex. Eur J Appl Physiol 2011: 111: 2387–2389. , .
- 1995) Evaluation of physical performance of soccer players by the Yo Yo intermittent endurance test. 11th World Congress on Science and Football, May, Cardiff, Wales. , . (
- Match activities of elite women soccer players at different performance levels. J Strength Cond Res 2008: 22: 341–349. , , , , .
- Match performance of high standard soccer players with special reference to development of fatigue. J Sports Sci 2003: 21: 519–528. , , .
- Fatigue in soccer: a brief review. J Sports Sci 2005: 23: 593–599. , , .
- Fitness determinants of success in men's and women's football. J Sports Sci 2009: 27: 107–114. , , , .
- The reliability of lactate measurements during exercise. Int J Sports Med 1998: 19: 349–357. , .
- Validity of simple field tests as indicators of match-related physical performance in top-level professional soccer players. Int J Sports Med 2007: 28: 228–235. , , , , , .
- Aerobic and anaerobic characteristics of elite female university players. J Sports Sci 1992: 10: 143–144. , .
- The effect of static stretching on phases of sprint performance in elite soccer players. J Strength Cond Res 2008: 22: 1416–1421. , , , , .
- The gender difference in distance running performance has plateaued: an analysis of world rankings from 1980 to 1996. Med Sci Sports Exerc 1998: 30: 1725–1729. , , .
- Physiology of soccer. An update. J Sports Med 2005: 35: 501–536. , , , .
- Testing soccer players. J Sports Sci 2005: 23: 601–618. , .
- Fitness characteristics of Turkish female soccer players. In: Reilly T , Bangsbo J , Hughes M , eds. Science and Football III. London: E & Spon, 1997: 37–39. , , , , .
- Fitness characteristic of English female soccer players: an analysis by position and playing standard. In: Spinks WT , Reilly T , Murphy A , eds. Science and Football IV. London: E & Spon, 2002: 374–381. , , .
- Reliability and validity of a continuous incremental treadmill protocol for the determination of lactate threshold, fixed blood lactate concentrations, and VO2max. Int J Sports Med 1990: 11: 26–32. , , , , , , .