On leave from Department of Geophysics, University of Oslo, P.O. Box 1022. Blindern, Oslo 3, Norway.
Characteristics of northern hemisphere blocking as determined from a long time series of observational data
Version of Record online: 18 JAN 2010
1983 Blackwell Munksgaard
Volume 35A, Issue 5, pages 350–362, October 1983
How to Cite
Lejenäs, H. and økland, H. (1983), Characteristics of northern hemisphere blocking as determined from a long time series of observational data. Tellus A, 35A: 350–362. doi: 10.1111/j.1600-0870.1983.tb00210.x
Contribution No. 479.
- Issue online: 18 JAN 2010
- Version of Record online: 18 JAN 2010
- Manuscript received December 22, 1982; in final form February 16, 1983
- 1980. The blocking of middle latitude westerly winds by planetary waves. Quart. J. R. Met. Soc. 106, 327–350.
- 1949. An aerological study of zonal motion, its perturbations and breakdown. Tellus 1, 2, 14–37. , and
- 1981. Comparison of a barotropic blocking theory with observation. J. Atmos. Sci. 38, 762–779. , and
- 1978. The objective representation of blocking patterns. In The general circulation: theory, modeling and observations. Notes from a Colloquium Summer, 1978. NCAR/CQ-6 + 1978-ASP, 406–426.
- 1949. A study of the effects of large blocking highs on the general circulation in the northern hemisphere westerlies. J. Meteorol. 6, 67–85. and
- 1982. A unified 3-dimensional instability theory of the onset of blocking and cyclogenesis. J. Atmos. Sci. 39, 969–982.
- 1904. Long-range forecasts. U.S. Wea. Bur. Bull. 35.
- 1975. Data sets for meteorological research. NCAR Tech. Note TN/IA-III. National Center for Atmospheric Research. Boulder Colo., U.S.A., 172 pp.
- 1947. Characteristics of the general circulation over the northern hemisphere during the abnormal winter 1946–1947. Mon. Wea. Rev. 75, 145–152.
- 1951. Observational studies of general circulation patterns. Compendium of Meteorology, Americal Meteorological Society. and
- 1969. Atmospheric circulation systems. Academic Press, New York and London. and
- 1950a. Blocking action in the middle troposphere and its effect upon regional climate (I). An aerological study of blocking. Tellus 2, 196–211.
- 1950b. Blocking action in the middle troposphere and its effect upon regional climate (II). The climatology of blocking actions. Tellus 2, 275–301.
- 1951. The effect of Atlantic blocking action upon European climate. Tellus 3, 100–112.
- 1981. Blocking action in the northern hemisphere: a climatological study. Atmosphere-Ocean 19, 1–23. , and
- 1975. On the development of blocking ridge activity over the central North Pacific. J. Atmos. Sci. 32, 489–502. and