Classification of mesoscale vortices in polar airstreams and the influence of the large-scale environment on their evolutions
Version of Record online: 18 JAN 2010
1985 Blackwell Munksgaard
Volume 37A, Issue 2, pages 132–155, March 1985
How to Cite
Forbes, G. S. and Lottes, W. D. (1985), Classification of mesoscale vortices in polar airstreams and the influence of the large-scale environment on their evolutions. Tellus A, 37A: 132–155. doi: 10.1111/j.1600-0870.1985.tb00276.x
- Issue online: 18 JAN 2010
- Version of Record online: 18 JAN 2010
- Manuscript received April 5; in final form June 29, 1984
- 1921. Meteorological conditions for the formation of rain. Geofys. Publikasjoner, Norske Videnskaps-Akad. Oslo., 2, No. 3, 1–60. and
- 1980. On the evolution and interaction of short and long baroclinic waves of the Eady type. J. Atmos. Sci. 37, 1984–1993.
- 1980. Airflow through midlatitude cyclones and the comma cloud pattern. Mon. Wea. Rev. 108, 1498–1509.
- 1982. A simple model illustrating baroclinic development. Bull. Amer. Meteorol. Soc. 63, 1302–1308.
- 1977: A numerical investigation of polar lows. Q. J. R. Meteorol. Soc. 103, 255–267. ,
- 1978. Baroclinic instability in a reversed shear flow. Meteorol. Mag. 107, 17–23.
- 1975. Tropical cyclone intensity analysis and forecasting from satellite imagery. Mon. Wea. Rev. 103, 420–430.
- 1984. Mesoscale vortices over the Great Lakes in wintertime. Mon. Wea. Rev. 112, 377–381. and
- 1972. The snowstorms of 4 March 1970. Weather 27, 96–110.
- 1957. Dynamical and physical meteorology. McGraw-Hill Book Co., New York, 470 pp. and
- 1960. Frontal contour analysis of a “polar” low. Meteorol. Mag. 89, 146–147.
- 1969. The polar low as a baroclinic disturbance. Q. J. R. Meteorol. Soc. 95, 719–730. and
- 1980. Estimation of surface pressures by satellite cloud pattern recognition. Preprints, 8th Conf. Wea. Forecasting and Analysis, Denver, Amer. Meteor. Soc., 119–122. and
- 1982. Mesoscale structures of vortices in polar air streams. Mon. Wea. Rev. 110, 1417–1433. , and
- 1972. The polar low over Britain. Weather 27, 378–390.
- 1974. Polar lows: the development of baroclinic disturbances in cold air outbreaks. Q. J. R. Meteorol. Soc. 100, 541–549.
- Meteorological Office 1962. A course in elementary meteorology. U.K. Met. Office Publ. No. 707, H.M.S.O., London, 189 pp.
- 1976. The single air mass disturbance and precipitation characteristics at San Francisco. Mon. Wea. Rev. 104, 1289–1296.
- 1979. An investigation of small synopticscale cyclones in polar airstreams. Mon. Wea. Rev. 107, 1636–1647.
- 1982. Cyclone development in polar air streams over the wintertime continent. Mon. Wea. Rev. 110, 1664–1676.
- 1983. Explosive cyclogenesis associated with cylcones in polar air streams. Mon. Wea. Rev. 111, 1537–1553.
- 1980. A case study of a subsynoptic disturbance in a polar outbreak. Q. J. R. Meteorol. Soc. 106, 313–325.
- 1977. On the intensification of small-scale cyclones formed in very cold air masses heated by the ocean. Institute Rept. Ser. No. 26, Institutt for Geofysikk, Universitetet I Oslo [Boks 1022, Blindern, Oslo 3, Norway], 31 pp.
- 1958. Some applications of statistics to meteorology. Pennsylvania State University, Continuing Education, University Park, PA 16802, 224 pp. and
- 1979. The polar low as an extratropical CISK disturbance. Q. J. R. Meteorol. Soc. 105, 531–549.
- 1981. An investigation of a polar low with a spiral cloud structure. J. Atmos. Sci. 38, 1785–1792.
- 1979. Cyclogenesis in polar airstreams. Mon. Wea. Rev. 107, 38–52.
- 1971. Analytical solutions of the nonlinear omega and vorticity equations for a structurally simple model of disturbances in the baroclinic westerlies. Mon. Wea. Rev. 99, 393–407.
- 1980. Synoptic-dynamic climatology of the “bomb”. Mon. Wea. Rev. 108, 1589–1606. and
- 1983. On the mechanism for the development of polar lows. J. Atmos. Sci. 40, 869–881. and
- 1982. A rapidly developing polar low in the North Sea on January 2, 1979. Preprints, 1st Int'l. Conf. on Meteor. and Air/Sea Interaction of the Coastal Zone, The Hague, Netherlands, Amer. Meteor. Soc., 196–203. , and
- 1977. On the wavelength of maximum baroclinic instability. J. Atmos. Sci. 34, 1679–1688. and
- 1968. The snowfalls of early December 1967. Weather 23, 156–161.
- 1982. Weather and circulations of December 1981. Mon. Wea. Rev. 110, 230–236.