On leave from Department of Atmospheric Sciences, University of Washington, Seattle, WA, 98195, USA.
Baroclinic instability as a mechanism for the serial development of polar lows: a case study
Version of Record online: 18 JAN 2010
1987 Blackwell Munksgaard
Volume 39A, Issue 4, pages 376–384, August 1987
How to Cite
REED, R. J. and DUNCAN, C. N. (1987), Baroclinic instability as a mechanism for the serial development of polar lows: a case study. Tellus A, 39A: 376–384. doi: 10.1111/j.1600-0870.1987.tb00314.x
- Issue online: 18 JAN 2010
- Version of Record online: 18 JAN 2010
- Manuscript received 18 June; in final form 18 November 1986
- 1986. Variability in time and space of energetics from a long series of atmospheric data produced by ECMWF. Beitr. Phys. Atmos. 59, 321–355. , , and
- 1977. A numerical investigation of polar lows. Q. J. R. Meteorol. Soc. 103, 255–267.
- 1978. Baroclinic instability in a reversed shear flow. Met. Mag. 107, 17–23.
- 1985. Classification of mesoscale vortices in polar airstreams and the influence of the large-scale environment on their evolutions. Tellus 37A, 132–155. and
- 1960. Frontal contour analysis of a “polar” low. Met. Mag. 89, 141–147.
- 1969. The polar low as a baroclinic disturbance. Q. J. R. Meteorol. Soc. 95, 710–723. and
- 1986. The structure of short-range forecast errors as determined from radiosonde data. Part II: The covariance of height and wind errors. Tellus 38A, 137–161. and
- 1974. Polar lows: The development of baroclinic disturbances in cold air outbreaks. Q. J. R. Meteorol. Soc. 100, 541–554.
- 1977. On the intensification of small-scale cyclones formed in very cold air masses heated by the ocean. Institute Rept. Ser. No. 26, Institutt for Geofysikk, Universitet I Oslo [Boks 1022, Blindern, Oslo 3, Norway], 31 pp.
- 1979. The polar low as an extratropical CISK-disturbance. Q. J. R. Meteorol. Soc. 106, 313–326.
- 1983. A review of meso-scale disturbances in cold air masses. In: Mesoscale meteorology-theories, observations and models (eds. D. K.Lilly and T.Gal-chen). Boston: D. Reidel Publishing Company, 246–283.
- 1985. A case study of a polar low development over the Barents Sea. Tellus 37A, 407–418.
- 1979. Cyclogenesis in polar airstreams. Mon. Wea. Rev. 107, 38–52.
- 1983. On the mechanism for the development of polar lows. J. Atmos. Sci. 40, 869–881. and
- 1985. A numerical study of the development mechanisms of polar lows. Tellus 37A, 460–477. and
- 1987. Research aircraft measurements of a polar low over the Norwegian Sea. Tellus 39A, 272–306. , and