4-D-Var or ensemble Kalman filter?
Version of Record online: 28 JUN 2008
Volume 59, Issue 5, pages 758–773, October 2007
How to Cite
KALNAY, E., LI, H., MIYOSHI, T., YANG, S.-C. and BALLABRERA-POY, J. (2007), 4-D-Var or ensemble Kalman filter?. Tellus A, 59: 758–773. doi: 10.1111/j.1600-0870.2007.00261.x
- Issue online: 28 JUN 2008
- Version of Record online: 28 JUN 2008
- (Manuscript received 4 June 2006; in final form 20 May 2007)
- 2001. An ensemble adjustment Kalman filter for data assimilation. Mon. Wea. Rev. 129, 2884–2903. ,
- 2005. Will the 4D-Var approach be defeated by nonlinearity? ECMWF Tech Memo 479. Available at: http://www.ecmwf.int/publications. , , , , and co-authors.
- 2006. Local ensemble Kalman filtering in the presence of model bias. Tellus 58, 293–306. , , , and ,
- 2005. On the impact of humidity observations in numerical weather prediction. Tellus 57A, 701–708. and ,
- 2001. Adaptive sampling with ensemble transform Kalman filter. Part I: theoretical aspects. Mon. Wea. Rev. 129, 420–436. , and ,
- 1998. On the analysis scheme in the ensemble Kalman filter. Mon. Wea. Rev. 126, 1719–1724. , and ,
- 1998. Assessing the effects of data selection with the DAO physical-space statistical analysis system. Mon. Wea. Rev. 126, 2913–2926. , , , and ,
- 2002. Use of the breeding technique in the estimation of the background error covariance matrix for a quasi-geostrophic model. Paper 6.4 in the AMS Symposium on Observations, Data Assimilation and Probabilistic Prediction, Orlando , FA , January 14–17 2002. Available at: http://ams.confex.com/ams/pdfpapers/28755.pdf. , , , , and co-authors.
- 2003. Use of the breeding technique to estimate the structure of the analysis “error of the day”. Nonlinear Processes in Geophysics 10, 233–243. , , , , and co-authors.
- 2007. An implementation of the local ensemble Kalman filter in a quasigeostrophic model and comparison with 3D-Var. Nonlinear Proc. Phys. 14, 89–101. , and ,
- 2007. Estimating and correcting global weather model error. Mon. Wea. Rev. 134, 281–299. , and
- 2004. A nudging scheme for the assimilation of precipitation data into a mesoscale model. Weather and Forecasting 19(5), 855–871. and .,
- 1998. Data assimilation in the presence of forecast bias. Quart. J. Raoy. Meteor. Soc. 126, 269–295. and ,
- 2000. Data assimilation in the presence of forecast bias: the GEOS moisture analysis. Mon. Wea. Rev. 128, 3268–3282. and ,
- 2006. Comparison of strategies for the specification of anisotropies in the covariances of a three-dimensional atmospheric data assimilation system, NOAA/NCEP Office Note 452, 13 pp. Available at: http://www.emc.ncep.noaa.gov/officenotes/newernotes/on452.pdf. , , and ,
- 2003. Flow-dependent Jb in grid-point 3D-Var. Available at: http://www.ecmwf.int/publications/library/ecpublications/_pdf/seminar/2003/sem2003_derber.pdf , , , , and co-authors.
- 1997. Optimal prediction of forecast error covariances through singular vectors. J. Atmos. Sci. 54, 286–313. and ,
- 1994. Sequential data assimilation with a nonlinear quasi-geostrophic model using Monte Carlo methods to forecast error statistics. J. Geophys. Res. 99(C5), 10 143–10 162. ,
- 1996. Assimilation of Geosat altimeter data for the Aghulas current using the ensemble Kalman Filter with a quasi-geostrophic model. Mon. Wea. Rev. 124, 85–96. and ,
- 1997. Advanced data assimilation for strongly nonlinear dynamics. Mon. Wea. Rev. 125, 1342–1354. ,
- 2003. The ensemble Kalman filter: theoretical formulation and practical implementation. Ocen. Dyn. 53, 343–367. ,
- 2007a. A comparative study of 4D-Var and 4D ensemble Kalman filter: perfect model simulations with lorenz-96. Tellus 59, 96–101. , and ,
- 2007b. Assimilating nonlocal observations with a local ensemble Kalman Filter. Tellus, in press. , , and ,
- 2004. Evaluation of reduced rank Kalman filters. Paper J1.10 of AMS 16th Conference on Numerical Weather Prediction, 84th AMS Annual Meeting, Seattle , Wash, January 12–15 2004. Available at: http://ams.confex.com/ams/84Annual/techprogram/paper_74522.htm and ,
- 2005. On the equivalence between Kalman smoothing and weak-constraint four-dimensional variational data assimilation. Q. J.R. Meteorol. Soc. 3235–3246. , and ,
- 1999. Construction of correlation functions in two and three dimensions. Quart. J. Roy. Meteor. Soc. 125, 723–757. and ,
- 1998. Data assimilation using an ensemble Kalman filter technique. Mon. Wea. Rev. 126, 796–811. and ,
- 2001. A sequential ensemble Kalman filter for atmospheric data assimilation. Mon. Wea. Rev. 129, 123–137. and ,
- 2005. Atmospheric data assimilation with an ensemble Kalman filter: results with real observations. Mon. Wea. Rev. 133, 604–620. , , , , and co-authors.
- 2005. Ensemble Kalman filtering. Q. J. Roy. Met. Soc. 131, 3269–3290. and ,
- 2005. An efficient implementation of the local ensemble Kalman filter. Available at: http://arxiv.org/abs/physics/0511236. ,
- 2004. Four-dimensional ensemble Kalman filtering. Tellus, 56A, 273–277. , , , , and co-authors.
- 2007. Efficient data assimilation for spatiotemporal chaos: a local ensemble transform Kalman filter. Physica D, 230, 112–126. , and ,
- 1997. Unified notation for data assimilation: operational, sequential and variational. J. Meteor. Soc. Jpn. 75, 181–189. , , and ,
- 1999. Variational assimilation of time sequences of surface observations with serially correlated errors. Tellus 51A, 469–488. , and ,
- 2003. Atmospheric Modeling, Data Assimilation and Predictability. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge , 341 pp. ,
- 2002. Initial testing of a massively parallel ensemble Kalman filter with the Poseidon isopycnal ocean general circulation model. Mon. Wea. Rev. 130, 2951– 2965. and ,
- 2005. Ensemble Kalman Filter assimilation of temperature and altimeter data with bias correction and application to seasonal prediction. Nonlinear Proc. Geophys. 12, 491–503. , , and ,
- 2001. The NCEP-NCAR 50-year reanalysis: monthly means CD-ROM and documentation. Bull. Amer. Meteor. Soc. 82(2), 247–267. , , , , and co-authors.
- 2004. Implications of stochastic and deterministic filters as ensemble-based data assimilation methods in varying regimes of error growth. Mon. Wea. Rev. 132, 1966–1981. and ,
- 2007. Ensemble Kalman Filter in the presence of model errors. Available at: http://ams.confex.com/ams/pdfpapers/120175.pdf , ., and ,
- 2007. Comparison between local ensemble transform Kalman filter and PSAS in the NASA finite volume GCM: perfect model experiments. Available at: http://arxiv.org/ftp/physics/papers/0703/0703066.pdf. , , , , and co-authors.
- 2003. The potential of the ensemble Kalman filter for NWP – a comparison with 4D-Var. Quart. J. Roy. Meteor. Soc. 129, 3183–3203. ,
- 1963. Deterministic non-periodic flow. J. Atmos. Sci. 20, 130–141. ,
- 1994. Advanced data assimilation in strongly nonlinear dynamical systems, J. Atmos. Sci. 51, 1037–1056. , and ,
- 2005. Ensemble Kalman filter experiments with a Primitive-Equation global model. Doctoral dissertation, University of Maryland, College Park , 197 pp. Available at: https://drum.umd.edu/dspace/handle/1903/3046. ,
- 2007. Local ensemble transform Kalman filtering with an AGCM at a T159/L48 resolution. Mon. Wea. Rev., in press. and ,
- 2003. Atmospheric simulations using a GCM with simplified physical parameterizations. I: model climatology and variability in multi-decadal experiments. Clim. Dyn. 20, 175–191. ,
- 2001. Idealized adaptive observations strategies for improving numerical weather prediction. J. Atmos. Sci. 58, 210–234. , and ,
- 2005. A comparison of error subspace Kalman filters. Tellus 57A, 715–735. , and ,
- 2002. Exploiting local low dimensionality of the atmospheric dynamics for efficient Kalman filtering. ArXiv:archive/paper 020358, Available at: http://arxiv.org/abs/physics/020358. , , , , and co-authors.
- 2004. A local ensemble Kalman filter for atmospheric data assimilation. Tellus 56A, 415–428. , , , , and co-authors.
- 1992. The National Meteorological Center's Spectral Statistical-Interpolation Analysis System. Mon. Wea. Rev. 120, 1747–1763. and ,
- 1996. On extending the limits of variational assimilation in chaotic systems. Tellus, 48A, 96–121. , and ,
- 2000. The ECMWF operational implementation of four-dimensional variational physics. Q. J. R. Meteorol. Soc., 126, 1143–1170. , , , and ,
- 2003. Variational assimilation: theory and overview. Available at: http://www.ecmwf.int/publications/library/ecpublications/_pdf/seminar/2003/sem2003_rabier.pdf and ,
- 1998. A direct way of specifying flow-dependent background error correlations for meteorological analysis systems. Tellus 50A, 42–57. ,
- 1996. A case study of cyclogenesis using a model hierarchy. Mon. Wea. Rev. 124, 1051–1066. and ,
- 1993. Variational assimilation of Geosat into an eddy-resolving model of the Gulf Stream extension area. J. Phys. Ocean. 23, 925–953. , and ,
- 2005. Assessing a local ensemble Kalman filter: Perfect model experiments with the NCEP global model. Tellus 57A, 528–545. , , , , and co-authors.
- 2007. Assessing a local ensemble Kalman filter: assimilating real observations with the NCEP global model. Under revision in Tellus. , , , , and co-authors.
- 2003. Ensemble square root filters. Mon. Wea. Rev. 131, 1485–1490. , , , and ,
- 2005. Accounting for an imperfect model in 4D-Var. ECMWF Tech Memo #477. Available at: http://www.ecmwf.int/publications. ,
- 2003. A comparison of breeding and ensemble transform Kalman filter ensemble forecast schemes. J. Atmos. Sci. 60, 1140–1158. and ,
- 2002. Ensemble data assimilation without perturbed observations. Mon. Wea. Rev. 130, 1913–1924. and ,
- 2007. Ensemble Data Assimilation with the NCEP Global Forecast System. Mon. Wea. Rev., under revision. Available at http://www.cdc.moaa.gov/people/jeffrey.s.whitaker/Manuscripts/pubs.html , , , and ,
- 2007. Comparison of ensemble-based and variational-based data assimilation schemes in a quasi-geostrophic model. AMS 10th Symposium on Integrated Observing and Assimilation Systems for the Atmosphere, Oceans, and Land Surface. Available at: http://ams.confex.com/ams/pdfpapers/101581.pdf , , and ,
- 2006. Data assimilation as synchronization of truth and model: experiments with the 3-variable Lorenz system. J. Atmos. Sci. 63, 2340–2354. , , , , and co-authors.
- 2005. Maximum likelihood ensemble filter: theoretical aspects. Mon. Wea. Rev. 133, 1710–1726. ,