Comparison of three weather prediction models with buoy and aircraft measurements under cyclone conditions in Fram Strait
Article first published online: 16 APR 2010
© 2010 The Authors Journal compilation © 2010 Blackwell Munksgaard
Special Issue: Cyclones and the North Atlantic climate system
Volume 62, Issue 4, pages 361–376, August 2010
How to Cite
LAMMERT, A., BRÜMMER, B., HALLER, M., MÜLLER, G. and SCHYBERG, H. (2010), Comparison of three weather prediction models with buoy and aircraft measurements under cyclone conditions in Fram Strait. Tellus A, 62: 361–376. doi: 10.1111/j.1600-0870.2010.00460.x
- Issue published online: 8 JUL 2010
- Article first published online: 16 APR 2010
- (Manuscript received 23 October 2009; in final form 13 April 2010)
- 2003. Cyclones in the Arctic and Their Impact on the Sea-Ice Transport trough the Fram Strait (In German). PhD Thesis, Univ. Hamburg.
- Brümmer, B. (ed.) 2000. Field Experiment FRAMZY 1999—cyclones over Fram Strait and their impact on sea ice: field report with examples of measurements. Ber. Zentrum für Meeres- und Klimaforschung, Reihe A, No. 33, pp. 176, Univ. Hamburg.
- 2000. A cyclone statistics for the Arctic based on European Centre re-analysis data. Met. Atmos. Phys. 75(3–4), 233–250. , and
- and co-authors. 2001. Cyclones over Fram Strait: impact on sea ice and variability. Polar Res., 20, 147–152. , , , ,
- 2005a. Field Experiment FRAMZY 2002—second experiment on cyclones over Fram Strait and their impact on sea ice: field report with examples of measurements. Ber. Zentrum für Meeres- und Klimaforschung, Reihe A, No.37, pp. 154, Univ. Hamburg. , , and
- 2005b. In-situ observations in cyclones over Fram Strait. Meteorol. Z. 14(6), 721–734. , and
- and co-authors. 2008. Impact of a Fram Strait cyclone on ice edge, drift, divergence and concentration: possibilities and limits of an observational analysis. J. Geophys. Res. 113, C12003, doi: 10.1029/2007JC004149. , , , ,
- and co-authors. 2001. Three-dimensional variational data assimilation for a limited area model. Part I: general formulation and the background error constraint. Tellus 53A, 425–446. , , , ,
- 1993. An Arctic source for the Great Salinity Anomaly: a simulation of the Arctic ice-ocean system for 1955–1975. J. Geophys. Res. 98, 16397–16410.
- 2000. Simulated low frequency modes of circulation in the Arctic Ocean. J. Geophys. Res. 105, 6549–6564. and
- 1998. Simulation of sea ice transport through Fram Strait: natural variability and sensitivity to forcing. J. Geophys. Res., 103, 5595–5606. , and
- 1998. Sea ice transport: a highly variable link between Arctic and North Atlantic. Geophys. Res. Lett. 25, 3359–3362. , and
- 2000. Evidence for a recent change in the link between the North Atlantic Oscillation and Arctic sea ice export. Geophys. Res. Lett. 27, 989–992. and
- 2009. Impact of observations from Arctic drifting buoys on the reanalysis of surface fields. Geophys. Res. Lett. 36, L08501, doi:10.1029/2009GL037380. , , and
- 2009. The Iceland—Lofotes pressure difference: different states of the North Atlantic low-pressure zone. Tellus 61A, 466–475. and
- 1999. Variability of Fram Strait ice flux and North Atlantic Oscillation. J. Geophys. Res. 104, 5177–5189. and
- 2008. Validation of ECMWF and DWD model analyses with buoy measurements over the Norwegian Sea. Met. Atmos. Phys. 102, 87–96. , , and
- 2005. User guide to ECMWF forecast products. Technical Report Meteorological Bulletin M3.2, European Centre for Medium-Range Weather Forecast. and
- 2000. Arctic decadal and interdecadal variability. Geophys. Res. Lett. 27, 4097–4100. and
- 1997. Two circulation regimes of the wind-driven Arctic Ocean. J. Geophys. Res. 102, 12493–12514. and
- 2004. Cyclone Impact on Sea Ice in the Fram Strait: Modelling and Observations (In German). PhD Thesis, Univ. Hamburg.
- 2002. Quarterly Report of the German NWP System. Technical Report Part 2: Description of the German NWP System, German Weather Service. Available at http://www.dwd.de/en/FundE/Veroeffentlichung/Quarterly_new/Quartely_new.htm.
- 1995. Climatological aspects of cyclone development and decay in the Arctic. Atmos. Oceans 33, 1–23.
- 2008. Modelling of warm-air advection over Arctic sea ice. Tellus 60A, 775–788. , , and
- and co-authors. 2002. HIRLAM-5 Scientific Documentation, December 2002. Available at http://www.hirlam.org. , , , ,
- 2001. Fram Strait ice fluxes and atmospheric circulation: 1950–2000. J. Clim. 14, 3508–3517.
- 2004. Climatology and interannual variability of Arctic cyclone activity: 1948–2002. J. Clim. 17, 2300–2317. , , , and