Ozone risk for vegetation in the future climate of Europe based on stomatal ozone uptake calculations
Version of Record online: 26 MAY 2010
©2010 The Authors Tellus A©2010 International Meteorological Institute in Stockholm
Special Issue: SPECIAL ISSUE ON REGIONAL CLIMATE STUDIES USING THE SMHI-ROSSBY CENTRE MODELS
Volume 63, Issue 1, pages 174–187, January 2011
How to Cite
KLINGBERG, J., ENGARDT, M., UDDLING, J., KARLSSON, P.E. and PLEIJEL, H. (2011), Ozone risk for vegetation in the future climate of Europe based on stomatal ozone uptake calculations. Tellus A, 63: 174–187. doi: 10.1111/j.1600-0870.2010.00465.x
- Issue online: 14 DEC 2010
- Version of Record online: 26 MAY 2010
- (Manuscript received 18 September 2009; in final form 23 April 2010)
- 2007. The response of photosynthesis and stomatal conductance to rising [CO2]: mechanisms and environmental interactions. Plant Cell Environ. 30, 258–270. and
- 2010. European ozone in a future climate: importance of changes in dry deposition and isoprene emissions. J. Geophys. Res.-Atmos. 115, D02303. doi: 10.1029/2008JD011690. and
- 2007. Interannual variation and trends in air pollution over Europe due to climate variability during 1958–2001 simulated with a regional CTM coupled to the ERA40 reanalysis. Tellus 59B, 77–98. , and
- 2004. New directions: a new generation of ozone critical levels for the protection of vegetation in Europe. Atmos. Environ. 38, 2213–2214. , , and
- 2005. Assessing the future global impacts of ozone on vegetation. Plant Cell Environ. 28, 949–964.
- 2003. Photosynthesis and stomatal conductance responses of poplars to free-air CO2 enrichment (PopFACE) during the first growth cycle and immediately following coppice. New Phytol. 159, 609–621. , , , , and co-authors.
- 2000. Responses of stomatal conductance to light, humidity and temperature in winter wheat and barley grown at three concentrations of carbon dioxide in the field. Global Chang. Biol. 6, 371–382.
- 2006. The global atmospheric environment for the next generation. Environ. Sci. Technol. 40, 3586–3594. , , , , and co-authors.
- 2007. Trends over a 20-year period from 1987 to 2007 in surface ozone at the atmospheric research station, Mace Head, Ireland. Atmos. Environ. 41, 9091–9098. , , and
- 2009. Acclimation of leaf hydraulic conductance and stomatal conductance of Pinus taeda (loblolly pine) to long-term growth in elevated CO2 (free-air CO2 enrichment) and N-fertilization. Plant Cell Environ. 32, 1500–1512. , , , , and
- 1999. CO2 enrichment in a maturing pine forest: are CO2 exchange and water status in the canopy affected? Plant Cell Environ. 22, 461–472.
- 2000a. Towards a model of ozone deposition and stomatal uptake over Europe. EMEP MSC-W Note 6/2000. Norwegian Meteorological Institute, Oslo , Norway . Available at: http://www.emep.int. , , , and
- 2000b. Modelling stomatal ozone flux across Europe. Environ. Pollut. 109, 403. , , , and
- 2007. Assessing the risk caused by ground level ozone to European forest trees: a case study in pine, beech and oak across different climate regions. Environ. Pollut. 147, 454–466. , and
- 2009. Climate and emission changes contributing to changes in near-surface ozone in Europe over the coming decades—results from model studies. Ambio 38, 452–458. , and
- 2009. Ozone risk for crops and pastures in present and future climates. Naturwissenschaften 96, 173–194.
- 2010. Application of the Groenevelt-Grant soil water retention model to predict the hydraulic conductivity. Aust. J. Soil Res. In press. , and
- 2004. A new model for the soil-water retention curve that solves the problem of residual water contents. Eur. J. Soil Sci. 55, 479–485. and
- 2002. Environmental and stomatal control of photosynthetic enhancement in the canopy of a sweetgum (Liquidambar styraciflua L.) plantation during 3 years of CO2 enrichment. Plant Cell Environ. 25, 379–393. , , , , and co-authors.
- 1977. Water retention, porosity and density of field soils. Technical Monograph No 9. Soil Survey, Rothhamstead Experimental Station, UK . , , and
- 2007. Implications of climate change for the stomatal flux of ozone: a case study for winter wheat. Environ. Pollut. 146, 763–770. , , and
- 2007. Evidence of Widespread Ozone damage to Vegetation in Europe (1990–2006). Programme Coordination Centre for the ICP Vegetation, Centre for Ecology and Hydrology, UK , pp. 58. Available at: http://icpvegetation.ceh.ac.uk. , , and
- 2000. MESAN, an operational mesoscale analysis system. Tellus 52A, 2–20. , , and
- 2009. Effect of climate change on air quality. Atmos. Environ. 43, 51–63. and
- 1976. The interpretation of the variations in leaf water potential and stomatal conductance found in canopies in the field. Phil. Trans. R. Soc., Lond., B 87, 593–610.
- 1992. Plants and Microclimate. A Quantitative Approach to Environmental Plant Physiology. 2nd Edition. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge , pp. 428.
- 2007a. Risk assessments for forest trees: the performance of the ozone flux versus the AOT concepts. Environ. Pollut. 146, 608–616. , , , , and co-authors.
- 2007b. Increasing risk for negative ozone impacts on vegetation in northern Sweden. Environ. Pollut. 150, 96–106. , , , , and co-authors.
- 2007. Stomatal conductance in mature deciduous forest trees exposed to elevated CO2. Trees 21, 151–159. , , and
- 2005. A 140-year simulation of European climate with the new version of the Rossby Centre regional atmospheric climate model (RCA3). In: SMHI Reports Meteorology and Climatology No. 108. SMHI, SE-60176 Norrköping, Sweden , 54. , , , , and co-authors.
- 2008. Comparison of modelled and measured ozone concentrations and meteorology for a site in south-west Sweden: implications for ozone uptake calculations. Environ. Pollut. 155, 99–111. , , and
- 2009. Observations of ground-level ozone and NO2 in northernmost Sweden, including the Scandian Mountain Range. Ambio 38, 448–451. , , and
- 2006. Significance of temperature in plant life. In: Plant Growth and Climate Change (eds J. I. L.Morison and M. D.Morecraft), Blackwell Publishing, Oxford , UK , 48–69.
- 2005. Impact of climate change on surface ozone and deposition of sulphur and nitrogen in Europe. Atmos. Environ. 39, 1129–1141. , and
- 2003. Physiological Plant Ecology. 4th Edition, Springer-Verlag, Berlin , Germany , 513.
- 2006. Growing season changes in the last century. Agric. Forest Meteorol. 137, 1–14.
- LRTAP Convention 2004. Manual on methodologies and criteria for Modelling and Mapping Critical Loads & Levels and Air Pollution Effects, Risks and Trends. Updated August 2008. Available and continuously updated at: http://www.icpmapping.org.
- 2001. Short-term effects of fertilization on photosynthesis and leaf morphology of field-grown loblolly pine following long-term exposure to elevated CO2 concentration. Tree Physiol. 28, 597–606. , and .
- 2001. Stomatal conductance of forest species after long-term exposure to elevated CO2 concentration: a synthesis. New Phytol. 149, 247–264. , , , , and co-authors.
- 2007. Increase in summer European ozone amounts due to climate change. Atmos. Environ. 41, 7577–7587. , and
- 2006. European phenological response to climate change matches the warming pattern. Global Chang. Biol. 12, 1969–1976. , , , , and co-authors.
- 2008. Principles of Environmental Physics. 3rd Edition. Academic Press, London , 418. and
- 2006. A critical review and analysis of the use of exposure- and flux-based ozone indices for predicting vegetation effects. Atmos. Environ. 40, 1869–1888. , , and
- 2000. Emission Scenarios: A special report of IPCC Working Group III. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge , UK , 599. , , , , and co-authors.
- 2002. Stomatal conductance and ozone exposure in relation to potato tuber yield-results from the European CHIP programme. Eur. J. Agron. 17, 303–317. , , , , and co-authors.
- 2004. Relationships between ozone exposure and yield loss in European wheat and potato—a comparison of concentration- and flux-based exposure indices. Atmos. Environ. 38, 2259–2269. , , , , and co-authors.
- 2007. Ozone risk assessment for agricultural crops in Europe: further development of stomatal flux and flux-response relationships for European wheat and potato. Atmos. Environ. 41, 3002–3040. , , , and
- 2003. Fresh air in the 21st century? Geophys. Res. Lett. 30, 1100. doi: 10.1029/2002GL016285. , , , , and co-authors.
- 1999. An Eulerian limited-area atmospheric transport model. J. Appl. Meteorol. 38, 190–210. , and
- 2006. Ozone fluxes—updates, chapter 5 in EMEP status report 1/2006, Transboundary acidification, eutrophication and ground level ozone in Europe since 1990 to 2004. Available at: http://www.emep.int. and
- 2007. A comparison of two different approaches for mapping potential ozone damage to vegetation. A model study. Environ. Pollut. 146, 715–725. , , and
- 2007. Indirect radiative forcing of climate change through ozone effects on the land-carbon sink. Nature 448, 791–794. , , and
- 2006. Multimodel ensemble simulations of present-day and near-future tropospheric ozone. J. Geophys. Res.-Atmos. 111, D08301. doi: 10.1029/2005JD006338. , , , , and co-authors.
- 2008. Future atmospheric CO2 leads to delayed autumnal senescence. Global Change Biol. 14, 264–275. , , , , and co-authors.
- The Royal Society 2008. Ground-level ozone in the 21st century: future trends, impacts and policy implications. RS Policy document 15/08, London, pp. 133. Available at: http://royalsociety.org/displaypagedoc.asp?id=31506.
- 2002. Comparison of five eulerian air pollution forecasting systems for the summer of 1999 using the German ozone monitoring data. J. Atmos. Chem. 42, 91–121. , , , , and co-authors.
- 2007. Robustness of modelled ozone exposures and doses. Environ. Pollut. 146, 578–586. , , , and
- 2009. Modelling ozone fluxes to forests for risk assessment: status and prospects. Ann. For. Sci. 66, 401. , and
- 2004. Biomass reduction of juvenile birch is more strongly related to stomatal uptake of ozone than to indices based on external exposure. Atmos. Environ. 38, 4709–4719. , , , , and co-authors.
- 2008. Sap flux in pure aspen and mixed aspen-birch forests exposed to elevated concentrations of carbon dioxide and ozone. Tree Physiol. 28, 1231–1243. , , , and
- 2009. Leaf and canopy conductance in aspen and aspen-birch forests under free-air enrichment of carbon dioxide and ozone. Tree Physiol. 29, 1367–1380. , , and
- 2009. The global impact of ozone on agricultural crop yields under current and future air quality legislation. Atmos. Environ. 43, 604–618. ., , , , and co-authors.
- 2007. Evaluation of long-term ozone simulations from seven regional air quality models and their ensemble. Atmos. Environ. 41, 2083–2097. ., , , , and co-authors.
- 2004. A review of surface ozone background levels and trends. Atmos. Environ. 38, 3431–3442.
- 2000. Acclimation response of spring wheat in a free-air CO2 enrichment (FACE) atmosphere with variable soil nitrogen regimes. 2. Net assimilation and stomatal conductance of leaves. Photosyn. Res. 66, 79–95. , , , , and co-authors.
- 2006. Interactive effects of elevated carbon dioxide and drought on wheat. Agron. J. 98, 354–381. , , , , and co-authors.