A model of the coupled dynamics of climate, vegetation and terrestrial ecosystem biogeochemistry for regional applications
Article first published online: 6 SEP 2010
©2010 The Authors Tellus A©2010 International Meteorological Institute in Stockholm
Special Issue: SPECIAL ISSUE ON REGIONAL CLIMATE STUDIES USING THE SMHI-ROSSBY CENTRE MODELS
Volume 63, Issue 1, pages 87–106, January 2011
How to Cite
SMITH, B., SAMUELSSON, P., WRAMNEBY, A. and RUMMUKAINEN, M. (2011), A model of the coupled dynamics of climate, vegetation and terrestrial ecosystem biogeochemistry for regional applications. Tellus A, 63: 87–106. doi: 10.1111/j.1600-0870.2010.00477.x
- Issue published online: 14 DEC 2010
- Article first published online: 6 SEP 2010
- Accepted manuscript online: 18 AUG 2010 01:29AM EST
- (Manuscript received 12 March 2010; in final form 21 July 2010)
- 2000. Offset of the potential carbon sink from boreal forestation by decreases in surface albedo. Nature 408, 187–190.
- 2004. The role of ecosystem-atmosphere interactions in simulated Amazonian precipitation decrease and forest dieback under global climate warming. Theor. Appl. Climatol. 78, 157–175. , , , , and co-authors.
- 2006. Biogeophysical effects of historical land cover changes simulated by six Earth system models of intermediate complexity. Clim. Dyn. 26, 587–600. , , , , and co-authors.
- 2001. A review of forest gap models. Clim. Change 51, 259–305.
- 1996. Sensitivity of a general circulation model to global changes in leaf area index. J. Geophys. Res. 101, 7393–7408. , , , . and
- 2008. Rapid vegetation responses and feedbacks amplify climate model response to snow cover changes. Clim. Dyn. 30, 391–406. , , and
- 1971. Multivariate Data Analysis, Wiley, New York . and
- 2000. Acceleration of global warming due to carbon-cycle feedbacks in a coupled climate model. Nature 408, 184–187. , , , and
- 2001. Global response of terrestrial ecosystem structure and function to CO2 and climate change: results from six dynamic global vegetation models. Global Change Biol. 7, 357–373. , , , , and co-authors.
- 2007. Couplings between changes in the climate system and biogeochemistry. In: Climate Change 2007: The Physical Science Basis (eds S.Solomon, D.Qin, M.Manning, M.Marquis, K.Averyt, M. M. B. and co-editors). Cambridge University Press, Cambridge , 499–587. , , , , and co-authors.
- 2005. Fine-scale processes regulate the response of extreme events to global climate change. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. 102, 15774–15778. , , and
- 2002. The development of the coupled regional ocean-atmosphere model RCAO. Boreal Environ. Res., 7, 183–192. , , , , and co-authors.
- 2010. Quantifying Arctic contributions to climate predictability in a regional coupled ocean-ice-atmosphere model. Clim. Dyn. 34, 1157–1176. , , , and
- 2009. Future changes in daily summer temperature variability: driving processes and role for temperature extremes. Clim. Dyn. 33, 917–935. and
- 2003. How positive is the feedback between climate change and the carbon cycle? Tellus 55B, 692–700. , , and
- 2006. Climate-carbon cycle feedback analysis: Results from the (CMIP)-M-4 model intercomparison. J. Climate 19, 3337–3353. , , , , and co-authors.
- 2003. Daily precipitation statistics in regional climate models: evaluation and intercomparison for the European Alps. J. Geophys. Res. 108, 4124–4142. , , , and
- 2004. Terrestrial vegetation and water balance – hydrological evaluation of a dynamic global vegetation model. J. Hydrol. 286, 249–270. , , , and
- 1995. Perspectives for regional earth system modelling. Global Planet. Change 10, 23–42. ,
- 2008. Influence of changed vegetations fields on regional climate simulations in the Barents Sea Region. Clim. Change 87, 35–50. , , , , and co-authors.
- co-authors. 2004. Using a generalized vegetation model to simulate vegetation dynamics in the western Great Lakes region, USA, under alternative disturbance regimes. Ecology 85, 519–530. , , , , and
- 2008. CO2 fertilization in temperate forest FACE experiments not representative of boreal and tropical forests. Global Change Biol. 14, 1–12. , , , , and co-authors.
- IPCC, 2001. Climate Change 2001. The Scientific Basis. Contribution of working group I to the Third Assessment Report of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge , UK .
- 2008. The state of plant population modelling in light of environmental change. Perspect. Plant Ecol. Evol. Syst. 9, 171–189. , , , and
- 2003. Uncertainty in climate-carbon-cycle projections associated with the sensitivity of soil respiration to temperature. Tellus 55B, 642–648. , and
- 2005. A 140-year simulation of European climate with the new version of the Rossby Centre regional atmospheric climate model (RCA3). Reports Meteorol. Climatol. 108, SMHI, Norrköping , Sweden . , , , , and co-authors.
- 2000. A global 9-year biophysical land-surface data set from NOAA AVHRR data. J. Hydrometeor. 1, 183–199. , , , , and co-authors.
- 1994. Multivariate Statistical Methods: A Primer, 2nd ed. Chapman & Hall, London . ,
- 2003. A global database of Land Surface Parameters at 1-km Resolution in Meteorological and Climate Models. J. Climate 16, 1261–1282. , , , and
- 2001. Carbon balance of the terrestrial biosphere in the twentieth century: Analyses of CO2, climate and land use effects with four process-based ecosystem models. Global Biogeoch. Cycl. 15, 183–206. , , , , and co-authors.
- 2007. Global Climate Projections. In: Climate Change 2007: The Physical Science Basis, eds. S.Solomon, , , , , , . and . Cambridge University Press, Cambridge , 747–845. , , , , and co-authors.
- 2003. Recent advances in ecosystem-atmosphere interactions: an ecological perspective. Proc. Roy. Soc. London B 270, 1215–1227.
- 2000. Special Report on Emissions Scenarios: A Special Report of Working Group III of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate change. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge , UK . and (eds)
- 2000. Representing twentieth century space-time climate variability. Part 2: development of 1901-96 monthly grids of terrestrial surface climate. J. Climate 13, 2217–2238. , and
- 2007. Global vegetation and climate change due to future increases in CO2 as projected by a fully coupled model with dynamic vegetation. J. Climate 20, 70–90. , and
- 2001. Global and Regional Ecosystem Modeling: Databases of Model Drivers and Validation Measurements. Oak Ridge National Laboratory Report ORNL/TM-2001/196. Department of Energy, Oak Ridge , Tennessee , U.S.A. , , and
- 2007. Climate indices for vulnerability assessments. Reports Meteorol. Climatol. 111, SMHI, Norrköping , Sweden . , , , and
- 2003. A case study of the anomalous Arctic sea ice conditions during 1990: Insights from coupled and uncoupled regional climate model simulations. J. Geophys. Res. 108, 4275. , , , , and co-authors.
- co-authors. 2006. Sensitivity of simulated climate to horizontal and vertical resolution in the ECHAM5 atmosphere model. J. Climate 19, 3771–3791. , , , , and
- 2010. State-of-the-art with regional climate models. WIRE Adv. Rev. 1, 82–96. ,
- 2003. The role of aerodynamic roughness for runoff and snow evaporation in land-surface schemes—comparison of uncoupled and coupled simulations. Global Planet. Change 38, 93–99. , and
- 2006. The land-surface scheme of the Rossby Centre regional atmospheric climate model (RCA3). Reports Meteorol. Climatol. 122, SMHI, Norrköping , Sweden . , and
- 2011. The Rossby Centre Regional Climate Model RCA3: Model description and performance. Tellus 63A, this issue. , , , , and co-authors.
- 2006. Preliminary results from the coupled atmosphere-ocean regional climate model developed at the Meteorological Research Institute. J. Meteor. Soc. Japan 84, 389–403. , , , , and co-authors.
- 1996. A revised land surface parameterization (SiB-2) for atmospheric GCMs. Part 2: The generation of global fields of terrestrial biophysical parameters from satellite data. J. Climate 9, 706–737. , , , , and co-authors.
- 2006. Land-atmosphere coupling and climate change in Europe. Nature 443, 205–209. , , and
- 2008. Evaluation of the terrestrial carbon cycle, future plant geography and climate-carbon cycle feedbacks using five Dynamic Global Vegetation Models (DGVMs). Global Change Biol. 14, 2015–2039. , , , , and co-authors.
- 2003. Evaluation of ecosystem dynamics, plant geography and terrestrial carbon cycling in the LPJ Dynamic Global Vegetation Model. Global Change Biol. 9, 161–185. , , , , and co-authors.
- 2001. Representation of vegetation dynamics in modelling of terrestrial ecosystems: comparing two contrasting approaches within European climate space. Global Ecol. Biogeog. 10, 621–637. , and
- 2004. Vegetation changes in the nordic mountain birch forest: the influence of grazing and climate change. Arctic Antarctic Alpine Res. 36, 323–332. , , , , and co-authors.
- 2005. The ERA-40 re-analysis. Q. J. Roy. Meteorol. Soc. 131, 2961–3012. , , , , and co-authors.
- 2008. Preliminary use of CM-SAF cloud and radiation products for evaluation of regional climate simulations. Reports Meteorol. Climatol. 131, SMHI, Norrköping , Sweden . ,
- Hotspots of vegetation-climate feedbacks under future greenhouse forcing in Europe. J. Geophys. Res., doi:10.1029/2010JD014307. , and
- 2008. Parameter uncertainties in the modelling of vegetation dynamics—effects on tree community structure and ecosystem functioning in European forest biomes. Ecol. Mod. 216, 277–290. , , and