Assessment of climate change impact on water resources in the Pungwe river basin
Version of Record online: 26 SEP 2010
©2010 The Authors Tellus A©2010 International Meteorological Institute in Stockholm
Special Issue: SPECIAL ISSUE ON REGIONAL CLIMATE STUDIES USING THE SMHI-ROSSBY CENTRE MODELS
Volume 63, Issue 1, pages 138–157, January 2011
How to Cite
ANDERSSON, L., SAMUELSSON, P. and KJELLSTRÖM, E. (2011), Assessment of climate change impact on water resources in the Pungwe river basin. Tellus A, 63: 138–157. doi: 10.1111/j.1600-0870.2010.00480.x
- Issue online: 14 DEC 2010
- Version of Record online: 26 SEP 2010
- Accepted manuscript online: 30 AUG 2010 01:54AM EST
- (Manuscript received 18 January 2010; in final form 23 August 2010)
- 2006. Climate change impacts on water resources in the Pungwe drainage basin. SMHI Report 2006-24. Norrköping , Sweden , 86 pp. , , , , and co-authors.
- 2008. Use of participatory scenario modelling as a platform in stakeholder dialogues. Water SA 34(3) HELP Special Edition, 439–447. , , and
- 1998. Climate change and water resources in Britain. Clim Change 39, 83–110.
- 2004. Climate change and global water resources: SRES emission and socio-economic scenarios. Global Environ. Change 14, 31–52.
- 2003. Climate change scenarios from a regional climate model: estimating change of runoff in Southern Africa. J. Geophys. Res. 108, 4519–4535. , and
- 2003. Uncertainties in precipitation and their impacts on runoff estimates. J. Clim. 17, 294–304. , , , and
- 2010. Climate change impacts – throwing the dice? Hydrol. Process. 24, 374–381. and
- 2006. Comparison of regional climate model and statistical downscaling simulations over different winter precipitation change scenarios over Romania. Theor. Appl. Climatol. 86, 101–123. , , and
- 1997. Bué Maria dam, Mozambique: multipurpose reservoir operation using genetic algorithm techniques. MSc Thesis. IHE , Delft .
- 2005. ECOCLIMAP: a global database of land surface parameters at 1 km resolution. Meteorol. Appl. 12, 29–32. , and
- 2008 On the need for bias correction of regional climate change projections of temperature and precipitation. Geophys. Res. Lett. 35, L20709, 6 pp., doi:10.1029/2008GL035694. , , and
- 2007. Regional climate projections. In: Climate Change 2007: The Physical Science Basis. Contribution of Working Group I to the Fourth Assessment Report of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (eds S.Solomon, D.Qin, M.Manning, Z.Chen, M.Marquis and co-editors). Cambridge University Press, Cambridge , United Kingdom and New York , NY , USA . , , , , and co-authors.
- 2006. The community climate system model: CCSM3. J. Clim. 19, 2122–2143. , , , , and co-authors.
- 2006. Changes in surface water supply across Africa with predicted climate change. Science 31, 1917–1921. and
- 2002. January and July climate simulations over the SADAC region using the limited-area model DARLAM. Water SA 28, 361–374. , , and
- 2007. Linking climate change modelling to impacts studies: recent advances in downscaling techniques for hydrological modeling. Int. J. Climatol. 27, 1547–1578. , and
- 2004. Climate change effects on river flow to the Baltic Sea. Ambio 33, 235–241.
- 2007. Assessing climate change impacts on hydrology from an ensemble of regional climate models, model scales and linking methods—a case study on the Lule River basin. Clim. Change 81, 293–307. , and
- 2002. Regional climate model simulations of present-day and future climates in Southern Africa. Hadley Centre technical note 39. Met. Office, Hadley Centre, Bracknell , UK , 41 pp. and
- 2004. The Rossby Centre Regional Atmospheric Climate Model Part I: model climatology and performance for the present climate over Europe. Ambio 33, 199–210. , , and
- 2005. A 140-year simulation of European climate with the new version of the Rossby Centre regional atmospheric climate model (RCA3). Reports Meteorology and Climatology, 108, SMHI, Sweden, 54 pp. , , , , and co-authors.
- 2007: Freshwater resources and their management. In: Climate Change 2007: Impacts, Adaptation and Vulnerability. Contribution of Working Group II to the Fourth Assessment Report of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (eds M. L.Parry, O. F.Canziani, J. P.Palutikof, P. J.Van Der Linden and C. E.Hanson). Cambridge University Press, Cambridge , UK , 173–210. , , , , and co-authors.
- 2006. Attribution and impacts of upper-ocean biases in CCSM3. J. Climate 19, 2347–2365. and
- 2007. Estimates of future discharges of the river Rhine using two scenario methodologies: direct versus delta approach. Hydrol. Earth Syst. Sci. 11, 1145–1159. , and
- 2000. Analysis of conceptual rainfall-runoff modelling performance in different climates. J. Hydrol. 238, 231–247. and
- 1997. Development and test of the distributed HBV-96 hydrological model. J. Hydrol. 201, 272–288. , , and
- 2008. Prioritizing climate change adaptation needs for food security in 2030. Science 319, 607–610. , , , , and co-authors.
- 2006. Climate change impacts on water resources in the Pungwe drainage basin. SMHI Report 2006-45. Norrköping , Sweden . , and
- 2005. An improved method of constructing a database of monthly climate observations and associated high-resolution grids. Int. J. Climatol. 25, 693–712. and
- Nakićenović, N. and Swart, R. (Eds) 2000. Emission Scenarios: A Special Report of Working Group II of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge , UK , 599 pp.
- 1999. Transient climate change simulations with a coupled atmospheric-ocean GCM including the troposphere sulphur cycle. J. Clim. 12, 3004–3032. , , , and
- 2006. From delta change to scaling and direct use of RCM output. In: European Conference on Impacts of Climate Change on Renewable Energy Sources, Reykjavik , Iceland , June 5–9, 2006. and
- 2006. A demonstration of the uncertainty in projections of UK climate change resulting from regional model formulation. Clim. Change 79, 243–257.
- 2010. State-of-the-art with regional climate models. WIREs Clim. Change 1, 82–96. doi:10.1002/wcc.008.
- 2003. Future climate in world regions: an intercomparison of model-based projections for the new IPCC emission scenarios. The Finnish Environment 644, Finnish Environment Institute, 83 pp. , , and
- 1990. A fast radiation scheme for mesoscale model and short-range forecast models. J. Appl. Met. 29, 437–447.
- 2011. The Rossby Centre Regional Climate Model RCA3: model description and performance. Tellus 63A, this issue. , , , , and co-authors.
- 2010. The real wholes in climate science. Nature 463, 284–287. .
- 2000. Modelling hydrological response to land uses and climate change. A Southern African perspective. Ambio 29, 12–22.
- 2008. Indices for extreme events in projections of anthropogenic climate change. Clim. Change 86, 83–104. and
- SWECO and Associates. 2004. Development of the Pungwe River basin joint integrated water resources management strategy. The Pungwe River Monograph, Main report, 67 pp.
- 2010). Evaluation of a bias correction method applied to downscaled precipitation and temperature reanalysis data for the Rhine basin. Hydrol. Earth Syst. Sci. Discuss. 7, 221–267. , , and (
- 2010. Regional climate models for hydrological impact studies at the catchment-scale: a review of recent modeling strategies. Geography Compass 4, 834–860. and
- Timmerman, J. G., Pahl-Wostl, C. and Moltgen, C. (Eds) 2008. The Adaptiveness of IWRM: Analysing European IWRM Research. IWA Publishing, London , UK .
- 2005. The ERA-40 Re-analysis. A.J: Roy. Meteorol. Soc. 131, 2961–3012. , , , , and co-authors.
- 2001. Terrestrial Air Temperature and Precipitation: Monthly and Annual Time Series (1950–1999) Version 1.02. Available at: http://climate.geog.udel.edu/~climate/html_pages/README.ghcn_ts2.html (Accessed in April 22, 2010). and