Carbon dioxide emissions from fossil fuels: a procedure for estimation and results for 1950–1982
Article first published online: 18 JAN 2010
1984 Blackwell Munksgaard
Volume 36B, Issue 4, pages 232–261, September 1984
How to Cite
MARLAND, G. and ROTTY, R. M. (1984), Carbon dioxide emissions from fossil fuels: a procedure for estimation and results for 1950–1982. Tellus B, 36B: 232–261. doi: 10.1111/j.1600-0889.1984.tb00245.x
- Issue published online: 18 JAN 2010
- Article first published online: 18 JAN 2010
- Manuscript received August 4, 1983; in final form January 23, 1984
- American Gas Association, 1979. Gas facts: 1978 data. Arlington, Virginia.
- American Petroleum Institute, 1975, 1977, 1981. Basic petroleum data book. Washington, D.C..
- American Society for Testing and Materials, 1974. Standard specification for classification of coal by rank. ASTM Designation D-388-66, Philadelphia.
- 1976. Study of fly ash emission during combustion of coal. Environ. Sci. Technol. 10, 1011–1017. and
- 1967. Fuel: solid, liquid, and gaseous. New York: St. Martin's Press. and
- 1971. Analysis of natural gases, 1970. U.S. Bureau of Mines Information Circular 8518. and
- 1979. What world crude analyses imply. Hydrocarbon Process. September 1979, 103–108.
- 1980. Controlled burnout of wasted coal on abandoned coal mine lands. Report of Investigation RI 8478, US Bureau of Mines.
- 1982. Chemistry in the troposphere. Chem. Eng. News. October 4, 1982, 39–52. and
- 1978. Analyses of 800 crude oils from United States oil fields. BETC/RI-78/14, Bartlesville Energy Technology Center, Bartlesville, Oklahoma. , , and
- 1972. United States energy through the year 2000. U.S. Department of the Interior, December 1972. and
- 1981. Demand slump trims another 6% from world oil production. Oil and Gas J. Sept. 14, 1981, 29. , and
- 1980. The future of synthetic materials: the petroleum connection. Worldwatch Paper 36. Washington, DC, The Worldwatch Institute.
- 1920. “Hand-firing of locomotives.” International Textbook Company, reprinted 1979. In Steam locomotive study course (ed. W. C. Fitt). Traverse City, Michigan: Wildwood Publications, 1045–1092.
- 1977a. From hydrocarbons to petrochemicals: Part 3, Refinery processes and petrochemicals. Hydrocarbon Process. 56, 191–201. and
- 1977b. From hydrocarbons to petrochemicals: Part 7, Petrochemicals from n-paraffins. Hydrocarbon Process. 56, 349–357. and
- 1979. Cement. In Encyclopedia of chemical technology, vol. 5. New York: John Wiley and Sons, 163–193. , , and
- 1979. Petroleum geochemistry and geology. San Francisco: W. H. Freeman and Company.
- Institute of Gas Technology, 1978. Preparation of a coal conversion systems technical data book. Project 8979, Quarterly Report for August–October 31, 1977. U.S. Department of Energy FE-2286–24.
- 1973. Industrial production of carbon dioxide from fossil fuels and limestone. Tellus 25, 174–198.
- 1978. Standard handbook for mechanical engineers. New York: McGraw-Hill Book Company, 7–14.
- 1976. Analysis of natural gases 1917–1974. U.S. Bureau of Mines Computer Printout 1–76 (Available from NTIS as PB 251 202).
- 1977. Analyses of natural gases, 1976. U.S. Bureau of Mines Information Circular 8749.
- National Coal Association, 1978. Steam electric plant factors. Washington, DC.
- National Research Council, 1979. Controlling airborne particulates. Committee on Particulate Control Technology, U.S. National Research Council.
- 1981. Atmospheric methane (CH4): trends and seasonal cycles. J. Geophys. Res. 80, 9826–9832. and
- 1973. Commentary on and extension of calculative procedures for CO2 production. Tellus 25, 508–517.
- 1974. First estimates of global flaring of natural gas. Atmos. Environ. 8, 681–686.
- 1979. Present and future production of CO2 from fossil fuels—a global appraisal. In Workshop on the global effects of carbon dioxide from fossil fuels (ed. W. P.Elliott and L.Machta). Carbon Dioxide Effects Research and Assessment Program. US DOE, CONF 770385, 36–43.
- 1981. Data for global CO2 production from fossil fuels and cement. In Carbon cycle modeling (SCOPE 16), ed., B.Bolin. New York: John Wiley and Sons, 121–125.
- 1983. Distribution of and changes in industrial carbon dioxide production. J. Geophys. Res. 88, C2, 1301–1308.
- Science Applications, Inc., 1980. Overview of unconventional natural gas research and development activities. McLean, Virginia: NTIS, PB 80–227986.
- 1976. Collection, chemical analysis, and evaluation of coal samples in 1975. Open File Report 76–468. U.S. Geological Survey. , , , , , and
- UN 1976, 1977, 1978, 1979. World Energy Supplies. Statistical Papers, Series J., Nos. 19–22, United Nations Department of Economic and Social Affairs, Statistical Office, New York.
- UN, 1981a. Annual Bulletin of Coal Statistics for Europe. Geneva: United Nations.
- UN, 1981b. 1979 Yearbook of World Energy Statistics. United Nations Department of International Economic and Social Affairs, Statistical Office, New York.
- UN, 1982. 1980 Yearbook of World Energy Statistics. United Nations Department of International Economic and Social Affairs, Statistical Office, New York.
- UN, 1983. 1981 Yearbook of World Energy Statistics, United Nations Department of International Economic and Social Affairs, Statistical Office, New York.
- UN Environment Programme, 1979. The environmental impacts of production and use. Part I, Fossil fuels. United Nations Energy Report Series, ERS-1–79, Nairobi.
- UN Monthly Bulletin of Statistics, United Nations Department of International Economic and Social Affairs, Statistical Office, New York.
- US Bureau of Mines, 19541982. Minerals Yearbook, vol. 1. Metals, Minerals, and Fuels. 1976.
- US Central Intelligence Agency, 1981. International Energy Statistical Review. ER, IESR 80-007. US CIA National Foreign Assessment Center.
- US Department of Energy, 1979. World natural gas, 1977. DOE/EIA-0133(77).
- US Department of Energy, 1980a. 1979 International Energy Annual. DOE/EIA-0219(79).
- US Department of Energy, 1980b. World natural gas, 1978. DOE/EIA-O133(78).
- US Department of Energy, 1981. Coal production—1979. DOE/EIA-0118(79).
- US Department of Energy, 1982a. Natural Gas Annual, 1980. DOE/EIA-0131(80).
- US Department of Energy, 1982b. Petroleum Supply Annual 1981. DOE/EIA-0340(81)/1.
- US Department of Energy, 1982c. Coal data: a reference. DOE/EIA-0064(82).
- US Department of Energy, 1982d. Coke and coal chemicals in 1980. DOE/EIA-0120(80).
- US Department of Interior, 1974. World natural gas: 1972. Mineral Industry Surveys.
- US Environmental Protection Agency, 1977. National air quality and emission trends report: 1976. US EPA, EPA-450/1–77-002. Research Triangle Park, North Carolina: (Available NTIS as PB-279007).
- US National Air Pollution Control Administration, 1970. Control techniques for carbon monoxide emissions from stationary sources. US Department of Health, Education and Welfare, Public Health Service.
- 1977. Coal chemicals. In Encyclopedia of science and technology, vol. 3. New York: McGraw Hill, Inc.
- 1979. Chemical analyses of 617 coal samples from the eastern United States. Open File Report, 79–665. US Geological Survey. , , , , , , , , and