This paper was presented at the CACGP/IAMAP Conference on Atmospheric Carbon Dioxide, its Sources, Sinks and Global Transport, in Kandersteg, Switzerland, September 2–6, 1985. Other papers from this meeting were published in a special issue of Tellus 39B, 1–2.
Seasonal variability of carbon dioxide, nutrients and oxygen in the northern North Atlantic surface water: observations and a model*
Article first published online: 18 JAN 2010
1987 Blackwell Munksgaard
Volume 39B, Issue 5, pages 439–458, November 1987
How to Cite
PENG, T.-H., TAKAHASHI, T., BROECKER, W. S. and OLAFSSON, J. (1987), Seasonal variability of carbon dioxide, nutrients and oxygen in the northern North Atlantic surface water: observations and a model. Tellus B, 39B: 439–458. doi: 10.1111/j.1600-0889.1987.tb00205.x
- Issue published online: 18 JAN 2010
- Article first published online: 18 JAN 2010
- Manuscript received November 21, 1985; in final form January 8, 1987
- 1980. The chemistry, biology and vertical flux of particulate matter from the upper 1500 m of the Panama Basin. Deep-Sea Res. 27, 615–640. , , and
- 1976. Alkalinity changes generated by phytoplankton growth. Limnol. Oceanogr. 21, 108–117. and
- 1984. Is there a tie between atmospheric CO2 content and ocean circulation? In: Climate processes and climate sensitivity (eds. J.Hansen and T.Takahashi). Geophys. Monogr. 29, Washington, D.C.: American Geophysical Union, 314–326. and
- 1985. Reconstruction of past atmospheric CO2 contents from the chemistry of the contemporary ocean: An evaluation. Technical Report, TR020, U.S. Department of Energy, Washington, D.C., 79 pp. , and
- 1982. Tracers in the sea. Eldigeo Press, Lamont-Doherty Geological Observatory, Palisades, N.Y., 690 pp. and
- 1939a. Beobachtungen über das Kohlensaure-gleichgewicht under uber den Kohlensaureaustausch zwischen Atmosphere und Meer im Nord-atlantischen Ozean. Acta Acad. Aboensis, Math. et Phys. 11, 9.
- 1939b. Kohlensaure im Atmosphere und Meer an der Grenze zum Arktikum. Acta Acad. Aboensis, Math. et Phys. 11, 12.
- 1983. The formation of Labrador Sea Water, Part I: Large scale processes. Phys. Oceanogr. 13, 1764–1778. and
- 1952. Factors affecting the distribution of silicate in the North Atlantic Ocean and the formation of North Atlantic Deep Water. J. Mar. Biol. Assoc. U.K. 30, 511–526.
- 1955a. Hypotheses connecting fluctuations in Arctic climate with biological productivity of the English Channel. Papers in Marine Biology and Oceanography. Deep-Sea Res. 3 (supplement), 212–223.
- 1955b. Deep water movements in the North Atlantic as a link between climatic changes around Iceland and biological productivity of the English Channel and Celtic Sea. J. Mar. Res. 14, 347–362.
- 1982. Temporal changes in the inorganic carbon system of the south-eastern Bering Sea during spring 1980. Nature 296, 242–245. , , and
- 1986. Variability of the inorganic carbon system over the SE Bering Sea Shelf during spring 1980 and spring-summer 1981. Cont. Shelf Res. 5, 133–160. , and
- 1973. Ionization of water in seawater. Mar. Chem. 1, 403–417. and
- 1965. The major constituents of sea water. In: Chemical oceanography (eds. J. P.Riley and G.Skirrow). Vol. I, Chapter 4, 1st edition. London: Academic Press, 121–161.
- 1956. Uberstromung des Island-Faroer Ruckens in Bodennahe nach Beobachtungen mit den Forschungsschiff “Anton Dohrn” 1955–56. Dtsch. Hydrogr. Z. 9, 78–89.
- 1957. Schichtung und Zirkulation der Irminger-See in Juni 1955. Ber. Dtsch. Wiss. Komm. Meeresforsch. Neue Folge 14, 255–312.
- 1967. Nutrient limitation in the sea: Dynamics, identification and significance. Limnol. Oceanogr. 12, 685–695.
- 1965. Carbon balance experiments with marine phytoplankton. J. Fisheries Res. Board of Canada 22, 1083–1097. and
- 1969. Global radiation in Iceland, Report of the Icelandic Meteorological Office, Reykjavik, Iceland, 28 pp.
- 1976. A comparison of seasonal thermocline models with observation. Deep-Sea Res. 23, 391–401. and
- 1981. Preliminary observations of the carbon budget of the eastern Bering Sea shelf. In: The Eastern Bering Sea shelf: oceanography and resources (eds. D. W.Hood and J. A.Calder). Vol. 1. US Department of Commerce, Washington, D.C., 347–358.
- 1959. Equilibrium studies of polyanions, IV. Silicate ions in NaCl medium. Acta Chem. Scand. 13, 758–775.
- 1982. Oxygen utilization rates in North Atlantic subtropical gyre and primary production in oligotrophic systems. Nature 300, 246–248.
- 1985. Seasonal oxygen cycling and primary production in the Sargasso Sea. J. Mar. Res. in press. and
- 1967. Determination of the apparent dissociation constants of phosphoric acid in seawater. Limnol. Oceanogr. 12, 243–252. and
- 1910. Some experiments on the invasion of oxygen and carbon dioxide into water. The mechanism of gas exchange. V. Skand. Arch. Physiol. 23, 224.
- 1956. Buffer mechanism of sea water, ph.D. Thesis, Univ. of Calif. Los Angeles, 196 pp.
- 1973. Measurement of apparent dissociation constants of carbonic acid in seawater at atmospheric pressure. Limnol. Oceanogr. 18, 897–907. , , and
- 1979. The thermodynamics of the carbonate system in sea water. Geochim. Cosmochim. Acta 43, 1651–1661.
- 1977. Biological oceanographic processes, 2nd edition. New York: Pergamon Press, 332 pp. , and
- 1979. Radon evasion rates in the Atlantic and Pacific Oceans as determined during the GEOSECS program. J. Geophys. Res. 84, 2471–2486. , , , and
- 1981. Phosphate uptake by phytoplankton in the central North Pacific Ocean. Deep-Sea Res. 28A, 39–49. and
- 1986. Primary production of the ocean water column as a function of surface light intensity: Algorithmus for remote sensing. Deep-Sea Res. 33, 149–164.
- 1971. On the influence of the Norwegian-Greenland and Weddell seas upon the bottom waters of the Indian and Pacific Oceans. Deep-Sea Res. 18, 1063–1088. and
- 1964. Stability constants of metal-ion complexes. The Chemical Society (London), Spec. Pub. 17, 751 pp. and
- 1962. North Icelandic Waters. Rit Fiskideildar 3, The University Research Institute—Department of Fisheries, Reykjavik, Iceland, 269 pp.
- 1962. Deep currents south of Iceland. Deep-Sea Res. 9, 465–474. , and
- 1980. The contribution of the Denmark Strait overflow to the deep North Atlantic. Deep-Sea Res. 27A, 29–42. , and
- 1984. The circulation of the Denmark Strait and Iceland-Scotland overflow waters in the North Atlantic. Deep-Sea Res. 31, 1339–1355.
- 1982. Distribution and circulation of Labrador sea water. J. Phys. Oceanogr. 12, 1189–1205. and
- 1961. Carbon dioxide in the atmosphere and in Atlantic Ocean water. J. Geophys. Res. 66, 477–494.
- 1982a. Carbonate chemistry. In: GEOSECS Pacific Expedition, vol. 3, Hydrographic Data, 1973–1974. W. S.Broecker, D. W.Spencer and H.Craig, US Government Printing Office, 78–82. , and
- 1982b. Measurements of the partial pressure of CO2 in discrete water samples during the North Atlantic Expedition, the Transient Tracers of Ocean Project. Technical Report, Lamont-Doherty Geol. Obs., Palisades, N.Y., 268 pp. , , , and
- 1985a. Seasonal variability of the carbon-nutrient chemistry in the ocean areas west and north of Iceland. In: Chemical tracers for studying water masses and physical processes in the sea (ed. U.Stefansson). Rit Fiskideildar (J. of the Marine Research Institute, Reykjavik) 9, 20–36. , , , , and
- 1985b. Redfield ratio based on chemical data from isopycnal surfaces. J. Geophys. Res. 90, 6907–6924. , and
- 1970. The solubility of nitrogen, oxygen and argon in water and seawater. Deep-Sea Res. 17, 721–735.
- 1974. Carbon dioxide in water and seawater: the solubility of non-ideal gas. Mar. Chem. 2, 203–215.
- 1979. Agreement between 14C and oxygen methods of measuring phytoplankton production: reassessment of the photosynthesis quotient. Oceanol. Acta 2, 411–416. , and
- 1970. The Norwegian Sea as a Mediterranean basin. Deep-Sea Res. 17, 77–84.