The origin of Arctic precipitation under present and glacial conditions
Version of Record online: 18 JAN 2010
1989 Blackwell Munksgaard
Volume 41B, Issue 4, pages 452–468, September 1989
How to Cite
JOHNSEN, S. J., DANSGAARD, W. and WHITE, J. W. C. (1989), The origin of Arctic precipitation under present and glacial conditions. Tellus B, 41B: 452–468. doi: 10.1111/j.1600-0889.1989.tb00321.x
- Issue online: 18 JAN 2010
- Version of Record online: 18 JAN 2010
- Manuscript received 9 November 1987; in final form 26 May 1988
- 1984. Temporal variations in the 10Be concentration levels found in the Dye 3 ice core, Greenland. Annals of Glaciology 5, 16–17. , , , , , and
- 1987. Unpleasant surprises in the greenhouse. Nature 328, 123–126.
- 1988. Glaciological investigations in the Crête-area, Central Greenland. A search for a new deep drilling site. Annals of Glaciology 10, 10–15. , , , and
- CLIMAP 1976. Project members. The surface of the ice-age earth. Science 191, 1131–1137.
- 1961. Isotopic variations in meteoric waters. Science 133, 1702–1703.
- 1961. The isotopic composition of natural waters. Medd. om Grønland 165, No. 2, 120 pp.
- 1964. Stable isotopes in precipitation. Tellus 16, 436–468.
- 1972. Speculations about the next glaciation. Quat. Res. 2, 396–398. , , and
- 1973. Stable isotope glaciology. Medd. om Grønland 197, No. 2, 1–53. , , and
- 1971. Climatic record revealed by the Camp Century ice core. In: The late cenozoic glacial ages (ed. K. K.Turekian). Yale University Press, 37–56. , , and
- 1982. A new Greenland deep ice core. Science 218, 1273–1277. , , , , , and
- 1984. North Atlantic climatic oscillations revealed by deep Greenland ice cores. In: Climate processes and climate sensitivity (eds. J. E.Hansen and T.Takahashi). Am. Geophys. Union, Geophys. Monograph 29, Maurice Ewing Vol. 5, 288–298. , , , , , and
- 1964. Oxygen-18, deuterium and tritium in natural waters and their relations to the global circulation of water. Proceedings of the 2nd Conference on Radioactive Fallout from Nuclear Weapon Tests 675–686. US Atomic Energy Commission. Symposium Series 5. and
- 1959. Oxygen isotope studies. Trans. Am. Geophys. Union 40, 81–84. and
- 1985. Global and local influences on the chemical composition of snowfall at Dye 3, Greenland: the record between 10 ka B.P. and 40 ka B.P. Earth and Plan. Sci. Let. 73, 196–206. and
- 1985. A global oxygen isotope model semi-empirically zonally averaged. Annals of Glaciology 7, 117–124. and
- 1966. Isentropic relative-flow analysis and the parcel theory. Quart. Journ. Roy. Met. Soc. 92, 210–219. , and
- 1978. Dating of Greenland ice cores by flow models, isotopes, volcanic debris, and continental dust. Journal of Glaciology 20, 3–26. , , , , and
- 1985. Continuous impurity analysis along the Dye 3 deep core. Am. Geophys. Union, Geophys. Monograph 33, 90–94. , , , , and
- 1986. Ice-core dating of the Pleistocene/Holocene Boundary applied to calibration of the 14C time scale. Radiocarbon 28, No. 2A, 284–291. , and
- IAEA/WMO, International Atomic Energy Agency/World Meteorological Organization, 1969–79. Environmental isotope data No. 1–6. World survey of isotope concentration in precipitation. Technical reports series, Nos. 96, 117, 129, 147, 165 and 192. I.A.E.A., Vienna..
- 1977. Stable isotope homogenization of polar firn and ice. Internat. Union of Geodesy and Geophysics, Internat. Ass. Sci. Hydrol., Commission of Snow and Ice. Symp. on Isotopes and impurities in snow and ice, Grenoble Aug./Sept., 1975. IAHS–AISH publication No. 118, 210–219.
- 1984. Deuterium and oxygen 18 in precipitation: modelling of the isotopic effect during snow formation. Journ. Geophys. Res. 89, 11749–11757. and
- 1982. Deuterium excess in an East Antarctic ice core suggests higher relative humidity at the oceanic surface during the last glacial maximum. Nature 299, No. 5885, 688–691. , and
- 1985. The Greenland Ice Sheet Program in perspective. AGU Geophysical Monograph 33, 1–8. , and
- 1936. The Greenland ice cap as seen by a meteorologist. Quart. Journ. Roy. Meteorol. Soc. 62, 359–377.
- 1983. Antarctica: A survey of near-surface mean isotopic values. In: The climate record of the polar ice sheets (ed. G. de Q.Robin). Cambridge University Press, 52–56.
- 1969. Variation in the mean deuterium content of precipitations in Antarctica. Journ. Geophys. Res. 74, 7027–7031. , and
- 1985. A 150,000-year climatic record from Antarctic ice. Nature 316, 591–595. , , , , , and
- 1971. Oxygen 18 and deuterium fractionation between water and water vapour (in French). Journ. Chim. Phys. 10, 1423–1436.
- 1979. Global climatic interpretation of the deuterium-oxygen-18 relationship for precipitation. Journ. Geophys. Res. 84, 5029–5033. and
- 1967. Isotopic fractionation of water during solid-to-vapour and liquid-to-vapour phase shifts at temperatures below 0°C (in French). Tellus 19, 122–127. and
- 1981. The North Atlantic ocean during the last deglaciation. Palaeogeogr., Palaeoclimatol., Palaeocol. 35, 145–214. and
- 1984. Atmospheric CO2 concentration during the last glaciation. Annals of Glaciology 5, 160–164. , , , and
- 1981. Carbon-14 dates at Grande Pile: Correlation of land and sea chronologies. Science 215, 159–161. and
- World Survey of Climatology, 1984. Vol. 15. Climate of the ocean (ed. H.vanLoon). Amsterdam: Elsevier.
- 1981. Atmospheric waters. In: Stable Isotope Hydrology. Deuterium and oxygen-18 in the Water Cycle (eds. J. R.Ford and R.Gonfiantini). Int. Atomic Energi Agency, Vienna, Techn. Rep. Ser. No. 210, 103–142. and