Increase of carbon cycle feedback with climate sensitivity: results from a coupled climate and carbon cycle model
Version of Record online: 21 MAR 2005
Volume 57, Issue 2, pages 153–163, April 2005
How to Cite
GOVINDASAMY, B., THOMPSON, S., MIRIN, A., WICKETT, M., CALDEIRA, K. and DELIRE, C. (2005), Increase of carbon cycle feedback with climate sensitivity: results from a coupled climate and carbon cycle model. Tellus B, 57: 153–163. doi: 10.1111/j.1600-0889.2005.00135.x
- Issue online: 21 MAR 2005
- Version of Record online: 21 MAR 2005
- (Manuscript received 7 April 2004; in final form 23 September 2004)
- 1986. A model predicting stomatal conductance and its contribution to the control of photosynthesis under different environmental conditions. In: Progress in Photosynthesis Research Volume 4 (ed. ). Martinus Nijhoff, Zoetermeer , The Netherlands , 221–224. , and
- 1997. The response of global terrestrial ecosystems to interannual temperature variability. Science 278, 870–872. , , and
- 1998. Dynamic responses of terrestrial ecosystem carbon cycling to global climate change. Nature 393, 249–252. and
- 1991. Physiological and environmental regulation of stomatal conductance, photosynthesis, and transpiration: a model that includes a laminar boundary layer. Agr. Forest Meteorol. 53, 107–136. , , and
- 1992. Coupled photosynthesis-stomatal conductance model for leaves of C4 plants. Aust. J. Plant Physiol. 19, 519–538. , and
- 2000. Acceleration of global warming due to carbon-cycle feedbacks in a coupled model. Nature 408, 184–187. , , , and
- 2001. Global response of terrestrial ecosystem and function to CO2 and climate change: results from six dynamic global vegetation models. Global Change Biol. 7, 357–373. , , , , and co-authors.
- 1994. Implicit free-surface method for the Bryan–Cox–Semtner ocean model. J. Geophys. Res. 99, 7991–8014. and
- 1980. A biogeochemical model of photosynthetic CO2 assimilation in leaves of C3 plants. Planta 149, 78–90. , and
- 1996. An integrated biosphere model of land surface processes, terrestrial carbon balance and vegetation dynamics. Global Biogeochem. Cycles 10, 603–628. , , , , and co-authors.
- 2001. Positive feedback between future climate change and the carbon cycle. Geophys. Res. Lett. 28, 1543–1546. , , , , and co-authors.
- 2003. How positive is the feedback between climate change and the carbon cycle? Tellus 55B, 692–700. , , and
- 1997. Carbon 13 exchanges between the atmosphere and biosphere. Global Biogeochem. Cycles 11, 507–533. , , , , et al.
- 2003. Revised estimates of the annual net flux of carbon to the atmosphere from changes in land use and land management 1850–2000. Tellus 55B, 378–390.
- 2003. Nitrogen and climate change. Science 302, 1512–1513. , , , and
- IGBP Terrestrial Carbon Working Group. 1998. The terrestrial carbon cycle: implications for the Kyoto Protocol. Science 280, 1393–1394.
- IPCC (Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change) 1997. An Introduction to Simple Climate Models used in the IPCC Second Assessment Report. IPCC Technical Paper II (eds. J. T.Houghton, L. G. M.Filho, D. J.Griggs and K.Masket). IPCC , Geneva , Switzerland .
- IPCC (Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change) 2001. Climate Change 2001, The Scientific Basis. Cambridge University Press, New York .
- 2001. Global warming feedbacks on terrestrial carbon uptake under the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) emission scenarios. Global Biogeochem. Cycles 15, 891–907. , , , , and co-authors.
- 1996. Description of the NCAR Community Climate Model (CCM3). NCAR Technical Note, NCAR/TN-420+STR. National Center for Atmospheric Research , Boulder , Colorado . , , , , et al.
- 1997. The potential response of terrestrial carbon storage to changes in climate and atmospheric CO2. Climate Change 35, 199–227. , and
- 2000. Will changes in soil organic carbon act as a positive or negative feedback on global warming? Biogeochemistry 48, 21–51.
- 2000. Testing the performance of a dynamic global ecosystem model: water balance, carbon balance, and vegetation structure. Global Biogeochem. Cycles 14(3), 795–825. , , , , et al.
- 1977. The measurement of observer agreement for categorical date. Biometrics 33, 159–174. and
- 1994. On the temperature dependence of soil respiration. Functional Ecol. 8, 315–323. and
- 1993. Biogeochemical cycles in an ocean general-circulation model—preindustrial tracer distributions. Global Biogeochem. Cycles 7(3), 645–677.
- 1998. Global eddy-resolving ocean simulations driven by 1985–1995 atmospheric winds. J. Geophys. Res. 103, 30 825–30 853. , , and
- 2002. Global, regional, and national annual CO2 emissions from fossil-fuel burning, cement production and gas flaring: 1751–1999. CDIAC NDP-030. Carbon Dioxide Information Analysis Center, Oak Ridge National Laboratory , Oak Ridge , TN . , and
- 2001. Carbon balance of the terrestrial biosphere in the twentieth century: analyses of CO2, climate and land-use effects with four process-based ecosystem models. Global Biogeochem. Cycles 15, 183–206. , , , , and co-authors.
- 2004. Factors affecting climate sensitivity in global coupled models. J. Climate, 17, 1584–1596. , , and
- 1990. Methods for comparing global vegetation maps. IIASA WP-90–40. International Institute for Applied Systems Analysis , Laxenburg , Austria .
- 1999. Nitrogen makes a minor contribution to carbon sequestration in temperate forests. Nature 398, 145–148. , and
- 1999. Biotic How-To, Revision 1.7. Ocean Carbon-cycle Model Intercomparison Project (OCMIP) . http://www.ipsl.jussieu.fr/OCMIP/phase2/simulations/Biotic/HOWTO-Biotic.html and
- 1999. OCMIP mid-project workshop. Research GAIM Newsletter 3, 4–5. and
- 2001. Estimates of anthropogenic carbon uptake from four 3-D global ocean models. Global Biogeochem. Cycles 15, 43–60. , , , , et al.
- 2001. Climate Change 2001: The Scientific Basis: Contribution of Working Group I to the Third Assessment Report of the IPCC (eds J. T.Houghton et al.). Cambridge University Press, Cambridge , pp. 183–237. , , , , et al.
- 2000. The carbon balance of the terrestrial biosphere; ecosystem models and atmospheric observations. Ecol. Applic. 10(6), 1553–1573. , and
- 1993. Can large scale climatic models be linked with multiscale ecological studies? Conserv. Biol. 7(2), 256–270. and
- 1998. Simulated response of the ocean carbon cycle to anthropogenic climate warming. Nature 393, 245–249. , , and
- 1996. Oceanic carbon dioxide uptake in a model of century-scale global warming. Science 274, 1346–1350. and
- 1998. The Carbon equation. Nature 393, 208–209.
- 2004. Quantifying the effects of CO2-fertilized vegetation on future climate. Geophys. Res. Lett. 31, L23211. , , , , et al.
- 2000. Effects of pelagic food-web interactions and nutrient remineralization on the biogeochemical cycling of carbon: a modeling approach. Deep-Sea Res. 47, 637–662. , , , , et al.
- 2001. Modelling respiration of vegetation: evidence for a general temperature-dependent Q(10). Global Change Biol. 7, 223–230. , and
- UNFCCC. 1997. The Kyoto Protocol to the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change, http://www.unfcc.int/resource/convkp.html.
- 2000. Parallel Climate Model (PCM) control and transient simulations. Clim. Dynam. 16, 755–774. , , , , et al.
- 1997. Diffusion and reactions in the vicinity of plankton: a refined model for inorganic carbon transport. Mar. Chem. 59, 17–34. and