Parametrization of gas transfer velocities and sea-state-dependent wave breaking
Version of Record online: 21 MAR 2005
Volume 57, Issue 2, pages 87–94, April 2005
How to Cite
WOOLF, D. K. (2005), Parametrization of gas transfer velocities and sea-state-dependent wave breaking. Tellus B, 57: 87–94. doi: 10.1111/j.1600-0889.2005.00139.x
- Issue online: 21 MAR 2005
- Version of Record online: 21 MAR 2005
- (Manuscript received 11 May 2004; in final form 28 October 2004)
- 2002. Fractional area whitecap coverage and air-sea gas transfer velocities measured during GasEx-98. In: Gas Transfer at Water Surfaces, AGU Geophysical Monograph 127 (eds M. A.Donelan, W. M.Drennan, E. S.Saltzman, and R.Wanninkhof). American Geophysical Union, Washington , DC , 199–204. , , , , et al.
- 1993. Statistical dependencies of sea state characteristics on water temperature and wind-wave age. J. Marine Syst. 4, 161–169. and
- 2005. A new non-parametric method to correct model data: application to significant wave height from the ERA-40 reanalysis. J. Atmos. Ocean. Technol. in press. and
- 1969. Specification of the Wind Field Distribution in the Marine Boundary Layer for Wave Forecasting. Report TR 69-1, Geophysical Science Lab, New York University , New York .
- 1982. Prediction of wave height and period for a constant wind velocity using the JONSWAP results. Ocean Eng. 9, 17–33.
- 1990. The role of breaking wavelets in air-sea gas transfer. J. Geophys. Res. 95, 749–759.
- 1977. A simple numerical model for wave and wind stress prediction. National Water Research Institute , Burlington , Ontario , 28pp.
- 1995. Correlations between ambient noise and the ocean surface wave field. J. Phys. Oceanogr. 25, 513–532. ,
- 2003. Measuring ocean wave period with satellite altimeters: a simple empirical model. Geophys. Res. Lett. 30, 2150. , , , and
- 2004. Aeration due to breaking waves. Part I: Bubble populations. J. Phys. Oceanogr. 34, 989–1007. , and
- 1999. Wind sea growth and dissipation in the open ocean. J. Phys. Oceanogr. 29, 1633–1648. and
- 1974. On the spectral dissipation of ocean waves due to whitecapping. Bound.-Lay. Meteorol. 6, 107–127.
- 1987. On the parameters influencing air-water gas exchange. J. Geophys. Res. 92, 1937–1949. , , , , et al.
- 1984. On the fluid dynamical theory of turbulent gas transfer across an air-sea interface in the presence of breaking wind waves. J. Phys. Oceanogr. 14, 960–972.
- 1996. Wave energy dissipation by whitecaps. J. Atmos. Ocean. Technol. 13, 262–267. , and
- 1991. Air entrainment and dissipation in breaking waves. Nature 351, 469–472. and
- 1981. Open ocean momentum flux measurements in moderate to strong winds. J. Phys. Oceanogr. 11, 324–336. and
- 1986. Air–sea gas exchange rates: introduction and synthesis. In: The Role of Air–Sea Exchange in Geochemical Cycling (eds P.Buat-Menard). Reidel, Washington , 113–129. and
- 2001. Direct covariance air-sea CO2 fluxes. J. Geophys. Res. 106, 16 729–16 745. , , and
- 2002. Oceanic whitecaps: sea surface features detectable via satellite that are indicators of the magnitude of the air-sea gas transfer coefficient. Proc. Ind. Acad. Sci. (Earth Planet. Sci.) 111, 315–319.
- 1990. Acoustically relevant bubble assemblages and their dependence on meteorological parameters. IEEE J. Oceanic Eng. 15, 340–349. and
- 1986. The influence of fetch on whitecap coverage as deduced from the Alte-Weser Light-station observer's log. In: Oceanic Whitecaps and Their Role in Geochemical Cycling (eds E. C.Monahan and G.MacNiocaill). Kluwer, Dordrecht , 275. and
- 1980. Optimal power-law description of oceanic whitecap coverage dependence on wind speed. J. Phys. Oceanogr. 10, 2094–2099. and
- 1984. The role of oceanic whitecaps in air–sea exchange. In: Gas Transfer at Water Surfaces (eds W.Brutsaert and G. H.Jirka), Reidel, Dordrecht , 495–503. and
- 1989. Comments on “Variations of whitecap coverage with wind stress and water temperature”. J. Phys. Oceanogr. 19, 706–711. and
- 2000. In situ evaluation of air-sea gas exchange parameterizations using novel conservative and volatile tracers. Global Biogeochem. Cy. 14, 373–387. , , , , et al.
- 1994. Laboratory measurements of mass transfer of carbon dioxide and water vapour for smooth and rough flow conditions. Tellus 46B, 16–32. and
- 1985. Spectral and statistical properties of the equilibrium range in wind-generated gravity waves. J. Fluid Mech. 156, 505–531.
- 1974. Observations of oceanic whitecaps and their relation to remote measurements of surface wind speed. J. Geophys. Res. 79, 444–452. and
- 2003. Observations of oceanic whitecaps in the north polar waters of the Atlantic. J. Geophys. Res. 108, 3086. and
- The WAMDI Group 1988. The WAM model—a third generation ocean wave prediction model. J. Phys. Oceanogr. 18, 1775–1810.
- 1992. Relationship between gas exchange and wind speed over the ocean. J. Geophys. Res. 97, 7373–7381.
- 1999. A cubic relationship between air–sea CO2 exchange and wind speed. Geophys. Res. Lett. 26, 1889–1892. and
- 2004. Air–sea gas transfer in the Southern Ocean. J. Geophys. Res. 109, C08S19, doi: DOI: 10.1029/2003JC001767. , and
- 1991. Air sea gas exchange in rough and stormy seas measured by a dual tracer technique. Nature 349, 145–147. , and
- 1995. Energy dissipation through wave breaking and the air-sea exchange of gases. In: Air–Water Gas Transfer (eds B.Jähne and E. C.Monahan). AEON Verlag, Hanau , Germany , 185–195.
- 1997. Bubbles and their role in gas exchange. In: The Sea Surface and Global Change (eds P. S.Liss and R. A.Duce). Cambridge University Press, Cambridge , 173–205.
- 1988. Variation of whitecap coverage with wind stress and water temperature. J. Phys. Oceanogr. 18, 1448–1453.
- 2000. Probability of wave breaking and whitecap coverage in a fetch-limited sea. J. Geophys. Res. 105, 14253–14259. , and
- 2001. Dependence of whitecap coverage on wind and wind-wave properties. J. Oceanogr. 57, 603–616. and
- 2003. Effect of wind waves on air-sea gas exchange: proposal of an overall CO2 transfer velocity formula as a function of breaking-wave parameter. Tellus 55B, 478–487. , , and