Updated estimate of carbon balance on Russian territory
Article first published online: 28 JUN 2010
©2010 The Authors Tellus B©2010 International Meteorological Institute in Stockholm
Special Issue: SPECIAL ISSUE WITH MANUSCRIPTS PRESENTED AT THE 8TH INTERNATIONAL CARBON DIOXIDE CONFERENCE, ICDC8, IN JENA, GERMANY 13-19 SEPTEMBER 2009
Volume 62, Issue 5, pages 497–505, November 2010
How to Cite
KURGANOVA, I.N., KUDEYAROV, V.N. and LOPES DE GERENYU, V.O. (2010), Updated estimate of carbon balance on Russian territory. Tellus B, 62: 497–505. doi: 10.1111/j.1600-0889.2010.00467.x
- Issue published online: 28 JUN 2010
- Article first published online: 28 JUN 2010
- (Manuscript received 30 November 2009; in final form 11 June 2010)
- 1996. Total carbon and nitrogen in the soils of the word. Eur. J. Soil Sci. 47, 151–163.
- 2007. Analyses of the carbon cycle of steppe and old field ecosystems of Central Asia. PhD thesis. University of Tuscia, Viterbo , Italy , 227. Available at: http://www.unitus.it.
- 2007. Carbon balance assessment of a natural steppe of southern Siberia by multiple constraint approach. Biogeosci. Discussions 4, 165–208. , , , , and co-authors.
- Federal Agency of Real Estate Cadastre: State and use of lands in Russian Federation in 2005. 2006. National Report, Moscow , 202 (in Russian).
- Federal State Statistics Service: Russia in figures. 2009. Moscow , 525. Available at: http://www.gks.ru/bgd/regl/b08_12/IssWWW.exe/stg/d01/15-01.htm.
- 1988. Soil map of the Russian Soviet Federative Socialist Republic at scale 1:2.5M. (all Union Academy of Agricultural Sciences). Government administration on geodesy and cartography. (GUGK), USSR. 16. (ed.)
- 1994. The SRP increases soil organic carbon. J. Soil Water Conserv. 49, 48–492. , , and
- 2002. Soil carbon stock and land use change: a meta analysis. Global Change Biol. 8, 345–360. and
- 2003. TransCom 3 CO2 invention intercomparision: 1. Annual mean control results and sensitivity to transport and prior flux information. Tellus 55B, 555–579. , , , , and co-authors.
- 2003. Revised estimates of annual net flux of carbon to the atmosphere from changes in land use and land management 1850–2000. Tellus 55B, 378–390.
- IPCC. 2000. Special Report on Land Use, Land Use Change, and Forestry Cambridge. Cambridge University Press, UK .
- 2003. A global scale simulation of the CO2 exchange between the atmosphere and the terrestrial biosphere with a mechanistic model including stable carbon isotopes, 1953–1999. Tellus 55B, 596–612.
- 1993. Conservation tillage impacts on national soil and atmospheric carbon levels. Soil Sci. Soc. Am. J. 53, 200–210. and
- 2000. The soil contribution to the balance of atmospheric CO2 on the Russian territory. Doklady Academii Nauk 375(2), 275–277 (in Russian).
- 2005. The role of soils in the carbon cycle. Eurasian Soil Sci. 8, 808–815.
- 1998. Carbon dioxide emission and net primary production of Russian terrestrial ecosystems. Biol. Fertil. Soils 27, 246–250. and
- 2007. Pools and Fluxes of Carbon in Terrestrial Ecosystems of Russia (ed. G. A.Zavarzin). Nauka, Moscow , 316. (in Russian). , , , , and co-authors.
- 2003. Carbon dioxide emission from soils of Russian terrestrial ecosystems. Interim Report, IR-02–070. IIASA, Laxenburg , Austria , 64.
- 2008. Assessment of changes in soil organic carbon storage in soils of Russia, 1990–2020. Eurasian Soil Sci. Supplement 41(13), 1371–1377. and
- 2009. The stock of organic carbon in soils of the Russian Federation: updated estimation in connection with land use changes. Doklady Biol. Sci. 426, 219–221. and
- 2003. Annual and seasonal CO2 fluxes from Russian southern taiga soils. Tellus 55B, 338–344. , , , , and co-authors.
- 2007. Carbon balance in soils of abandoned lands in Moscow region. Eurasian Soil Sci. 40(1), 50–58. , , , , and co-authors.
- 2008. Changes in the carbon stocks of former croplands in Russia. Agric. Sci. 15(4), 10–15. , , , , and co-authors.
- 2003a. Land-use change and management effects on carbon sequestration in soils of Russia's South Taiga zone. Tellus 55B, 331–337. , , , , and co-authors.
- 2003b. Root respiration and its contribution to the CO2 emission from soil. Eurasian Soil Sci. 2, 173–184. , , , , and co-authors.
- 2008. Regularities of agricultural land withdrawal in Russia and in the world and processes of post-agrogenic development of abandoned lands. In: Agroecological Status and Prospects of Use of Lands of Russia Withdrawn from Active Agricultural Rotation (ed. A. L.Ivanov). Dokuchaev Soil Science Institute, Moscow , 45–71 (in Russian). , , , and
- 1988. Political and administrative map of USSR, Scale 1:8M. Government administration on geodesy and cartography. Moscow , Russia . and (eds)
- 2000. Full carbon account for Russia. Interim Report IR-00–021. IIASA, Laxenburg , Austria , 180. , , , , and co-authors.
- 1998. Organic substances of Russian soils. Eurasian Soil Sci. 9, 946–953.
- 1998. CO2 mitigation by agriculture: an overview. Clim. Change 40, 135–162. , , and
- 2000. Soil carbon sequestration and land use change: processes and potential. Global Change Biol. 6, 317–327. and
- 2003. Accumulation of carbon and nitrogen by old arable land reverting to woodland. Global Change Biol. 9, 942–955. , , and
- 1996. Soil Carbon estimates and Soil carbon map for Russisa. Working paper. IIASA, Laxenburg , Austria , 44. , , , , and co-authors.
- 2008. Carbon and nitrogen accumulation in abandoned lands of Russia. Lžūu Mokslo Darbai 80(33), 82–91 (in Russian).
- 2000. Carbon sequestration in soils: some cautions amidst optimism. Agric., Ecosyst. Environ. 82, 121–127.
- 2009. Terrestrial ecosystems full carbon account for Russia: a reanalysis. In: Proceedings of 8th International CO2 Conference. Jena , Germany . , , , , and co-authors.
- 2000. The potential for carbon sequestration through reforestation of abandoned tropical agricultural and pasture lands. Restor. Ecol. 8, 394–407. , and
- 2004. Monitoring and verification of soil carbon changes under Article 3.4 of the Kyoto Protocol. Soil Use Manage. 20, 264–270.
- 2004. Annual greenhouse gas balance of European grasslands—first results from the GreenGrass Project. Book of the Proceeding of Conference “Greenhouse gas emission from Agriculture– mitigation options and Strategies”. Leipzig , Germany , 25–30. , , , , and co-authors.
- 1998. The terrestrial carbon cycle; implication for the Kyoto protocol. Science 280, 1393–1394. , , , , and co-authors.
- 2000. Soils of Russia: Correlated with the Revised Legend of the FAO Soil Map of the World and World Reference Base for Soil Resources. International Institute for Applied System Analysis, Laxenburg , Austria , 113.
- 1991. Regimes of Biological Cycle. Nauka, Novosibirsk , 150. (in Russian). and
- 1999. The carbon cycle in Arctic see. The Carbon Cycle on Russian Territory (eds N. P.Laverov and G. A.Zavarzin). Moscow , 300–325 (in Russian). , , and
- 2005. The importance and place of the photosynthetic carbon sequestration in the organic branch of its global cycle. Russ. J. Plant Physiol. 52(1), 169–77. and
- 2008. Carbon sequestration due to the abandonment of agriculture in the former USSR since 1990. Glob. Biochem. Cycles 22, GB4018. doi:10.1029/2008GB003212. , , , and
- 2002. Soil organic carbon sequestration rates by tillage and crop rotation: a global data analysis. Soil Sci. Soc. Am. J. 66, 1930–1946. and
- 1989. Map of land categories of USSR. Scale 1:4M. Government administration of geodesy and cartography. Moscow , Russia . (ed.)
- 2000. Influence of weather conditions and management of a sown meadow on the herbage productivity and properties of gray forest soils. Eurasian Soil Sci. 33(12), 1321–1329. and
- 2009. The assessment of carbon pool in coarse woody debris in forest of Russia with account of the influence of fires and fellings. Lesovedenie 4, 3–15 (in Russian).