Decreasing pH trend estimated from 25-yr time series of carbonate parameters in the western North Pacific
Version of Record online: 5 JUL 2010
©2010 The Authors Tellus B©2010 International Meteorological Institute in Stockholm
Special Issue: SPECIAL ISSUE WITH MANUSCRIPTS PRESENTED AT THE 8TH INTERNATIONAL CARBON DIOXIDE CONFERENCE, ICDC8, IN JENA, GERMANY 13-19 SEPTEMBER 2009
Volume 62, Issue 5, pages 649–659, November 2010
How to Cite
MIDORIKAWA, T., ISHII, M., SAITO, S., SASANO, D., KOSUGI, N., MOTOI, T., KAMIYA, H., NAKADATE, A., NEMOTO, K. and INOUE, H. Y. (2010), Decreasing pH trend estimated from 25-yr time series of carbonate parameters in the western North Pacific. Tellus B, 62: 649–659. doi: 10.1111/j.1600-0889.2010.00474.x
- Issue online: 5 JUL 2010
- Version of Record online: 5 JUL 2010
- (Manuscript received 23 December 2009; in final form 10 June 2010)
- 2007. Interannual variability of the oceanic CO2 sink in the subtropical gyre of the North Atlantic Ocean over the last 2 decades. J. geophys. Res. 112, C09013, doi:10.1029/2006JC003759.
- 2003. Anthropogenic carbon and ocean pH. Nature 425, 365. and
- 1993. Spectrophotometric seawater pH measurements: total hydrogen ion concentration scale calibration of m-cresol purple and at-sea results. Deep-Sea Res. I 40, 2115–2129. and
- 2007. Guide to Best Practices for Ocean CO2 Measurements. PICES Special Publication 3, 191 pp. , and eds.
- 2009. Ocean acidification: the other CO2 problem. Annu. Rev. Mar. Sci. 1, 169–192, doi:10.1146/annurev.marine.010908.163834. , , and
- 2009. Physical and biogeochemical modulation of ocean acidification in the central North Pacific. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. 106, 12 235–12 240. , , , and
- 2007. Interannual variability of the upper ocean carbon cycle in the northeast Atlantic Ocean. Geophys. Res. Lett. 34, L07608, doi:10.1029/2006GL028145. , and
- 1987. pCO2 and δ13C in the air and surface sea water in the western North Pacific. Tellus 39B, 228–242. , and
- 1999. MRI measurements of partial pressure of CO2 in surface waters of the Pacific during 1968 to 1970: re-evaluation and comparison of data with those of the 1980s and 1990s. Tellus 51B, 830–848. , , , , and
- 1995. Long-term trend of the partial pressure of carbon dioxide (pCO2) in surface waters of the western North Pacific, 1984–1993. Tellus 47B, 391–413. , , , , , and
- Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) 2007. Climate Change 2007: The Physical Science Basis. Contribution of Working Group I to the Fourth Assessment Report of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge , UK and New York, NY , USA , 996 pp.
- 2001. Seasonal variation in total inorganic carbon and its controlling processes in surface waters of the western North Pacific subtropical gyre. Mar. Chem. 75, 17–32. , , , , , , , and
- 2005. Objective analyses of sea-surface temperature and marine meteorological variables for the 20th Century using ICOADS and the Kobe Collection. Int. J. Climatol. 25, 865–879. , , and
- Japan Meteorological Agency (JMA). 2001. Data Report of Oceanographic Observations, Special Issue, No. 1 (Data: 1965–1992) [CD-ROM], Tokyo .
- Japan Meteorological Agency (JMA). 2008. Data Report of Oceanographic and Marine Meteorological Observations, No 97 (Data: 1993–2006) [CD-ROM], Tokyo .
- Japan Meteorological Agency (JMA). 2009. Annual Report on Atmospheric and Marine Environment Monitoring No. 9, Observation Results for 2007 [CD-ROM], Tokyo .
- 2000. Ocean pCO2 calculated from dissolved inorganic carbon, alkalinity, and equations for K1 and K2: validation based on laboratory measurements of CO2 in gas and seawater at equilibrium. Mar. Chem. 70, 105–119. , and
- 2006. Interannual variability of winter oceanic CO2 and air-sea CO2 flux in the western North Pacific for 2 decades. J. Geophys. Res. 111, C07S02, doi:10.1029/2005JC003095. , , , , , , , and
- 2005. Persistently strong oceanic CO2 sink in the western subtropical North Pacific. Geophys. Res. Lett. 32, L05612, doi:10.1029/2004GL021952. , , , and
- co-authors. 2005. Anthropogenic ocean acidification over the twenty-first century and its impact on calcifying organisms. Nature 437, 681–686. , , , , and
- 1957. Carbon dioxide exchange between atmosphere and ocean and the question of an increase of atmospheric CO2 during the past decades. Tellus 9, 18–27. and
- Royal Society. 2005. Ocean acidification due to increasing atmospheric carbon dioxide. Policy Document 12/05, The Royal Society, London, 223 pp.
- 2008. Precise spectrophotometric measurement of seawater pHT with an automated apparatus using a flow cell in a closed circuit. Technical Reports of the Meteorological Research Institute 57, Tsukuba, 28 pp. , , and
- 1974. Carbon dioxide in water and seawater: the solubility of a non-ideal gas. Mar. Chem. 2, 203–215.
- 1982. Seasonal effects of temperature and salinity on the partial pressure of CO2 in seawater. Nature 300, 511–513. , and