Origin of CO2 undersaturation in the western tropical Atlantic
Version of Record online: 5 JUL 2010
©2010 The Authors Tellus B©2010 International Meteorological Institute in Stockholm
Special Issue: SPECIAL ISSUE WITH MANUSCRIPTS PRESENTED AT THE 8TH INTERNATIONAL CARBON DIOXIDE CONFERENCE, ICDC8, IN JENA, GERMANY 13-19 SEPTEMBER 2009
Volume 62, Issue 5, pages 595–607, November 2010
How to Cite
LEFÈVRE, N., DIVERRÈS, D. and GALLOIS, F. (2010), Origin of CO2 undersaturation in the western tropical Atlantic. Tellus B, 62: 595–607. doi: 10.1111/j.1600-0889.2010.00475.x
- Issue online: 5 JUL 2010
- Version of Record online: 5 JUL 2010
- (Manuscript received 24 November 2009; in final form 3 June 2010)
- and co-authors. 2003. The version 2 Global Precipitation Climatology Project (GPCP) Monthly Precipitation Analysis (1979-Present). J. Hydrometeor. 4, 1147–1167. , , , ,
- 1986. CO2 fluxes in the tropical Atlantic during FOCAL cruises. J. Geophys. Res. 91(C10), 11741–11755. , , and
- 2006. World Ocean Atlas 2005. In NOAA Atlas NESDIS 62 U.S. Government Printing Office, Washington , DC , 182. , , , and
- 2009. Global average of air-sea CO2 transfer velocity from QuikSCAT scatterometer wind speeds. J. Geophys. Res. 114(C4007), doi:10.1029/2007JC004168. , , and
- 2007. Seasonal variations in the Amazon plume-related atmospheric carbon sink. Global Biogeochem. Cycles 21, doi:10.1029/2006GB002831. , , and
- 1996. Biogeochemical processes in Amazon shelf waters: chemical distributions and uptake rates of silicon, carbon and nitrogen. Cont. Shelf Res. 16(5/6), 617–643. , , and
- 1994. The sea surface salinity in the tropical Atlantic between 10°S and 30°N—seasonal and interannual variations (1977–1989). Deep-Sea Res. 41(1), 81–100. and
- 1995. Seasonal variation in chemical distributions in the Amazon (Solimões) River: a multiyear time series. Global Biogeochem. Cycles 9(3), 307–328. , , and
- DOE, Handbook of Methods for the Analysis of the Various Parameters of the Carbon Dioxide System in Sea Water ORNL/CDIAC-74, 1994.
- 1970. High precision determination of titration alkalinity and total carbon dioxide content of seawater by potentiometric titration. Deep-Sea Res. 17, 737–750.
- 2001. North Brazil Current ring generation and evolution observed with SeaWiFS. J. Phys. Oceanogr. 32, 1058–1074. and
- 1987. Variation of carbon dioxide partial pressure in the western North Pacific surface water during the 1982/83 El Niño event. Tellus 39B, 214–227.
- GLOBALVIEW-CO2 2009. Cooperative Atmospheric Data Integration Project – Carbon Dioxide. CD-ROM, NOAA ESRL, Boulder, Colorado Also available on internet via anonymous ftp to ftp.cmdl.noaa.gov, path:ccg/co2/GLOBALVIEW.
- 2006. Interannual rainfall variability in the tropical Atlantic region. J. Geophys. Res. 111(D02106), doi:10.1029/2005JD005944. and
- 2003. A significant sink of CO2 in the tropical Atlantic Ocean associated with the Amazon River plume. Geophys. Res. Lett. 30(24), 2287, doi:10.1029/2003GL018841.
- and co-authors. 2006. Global relationships of total alkalinity with salinity and temperature in surface waters of the world's oceans. Geophys. Res. Lett. 33(L19605), doi:10.1029/2006GL027207. , , , ,
- 2009. Low CO2 concentrations in the Gulf of Guinea during the upwelling season in 2006. Mar. Chem. 113, 93–101.
- and co-authors. 1998. Variability of pCO2 in the tropical Atlantic in 1995. J. Geophys. Res. 103(C3), 5623–5634. , , , ,
- and co-authors. 2005. Young organic matter as a source of carbon dioxide outgassing from Amazonian rivers. Nature 436, 538–541. , , , ,
- 1998. Distribution of alkalinity in the surface waters of the major oceans. Mar. Chem. 60, 111–130. , and
- 1987. Evolution du CO2 océanique et atmosphérique sur la période 1982–1984 dans l’Atlantique tropical. Deep-Sea Res. 34(7), 1107–1137. , and .
- 1995. Measurements of atmospheric and oceanic CO2 in the tropical Atlantic: 10 years after the 1982–1984 FOCAL cruises. Tellus 47B, 70–85. , and .
- and co-authors. 2009. Air-sea CO2 fluxes in the Atlantic as measured during the FICARAM cruises. Biogeosci. Discuss. 6, 5589–5622. , , , ,
- and co-authors. 2009. Recommendations for autonomous underway pCO2 measuring systems and data-reduction routines. Deep-Sea Res. 56, 512–522. , , , ,
- and co-authors. 1993. Variability of sources and sinks in the western Indian and Southern oceans during the year 1991. J. Geophys. Res. 98(C12), 22759–22778. , , , ,
- 1987. Seasonal cycle of velocity in the Atlantic North Equatorial Countercurrent as measured by surface drifters current meters and ship drift. J. Geophys. Res. 92, 3691–3708. and
- 2002. Outgassing from Amazonian rivers and wetlands as a large tropical source of atmospheric CO2. Nature 416, 617–620. , , , and
- and co-authors. Organic Carbon Transported by the Equatorial Rivers: Example of Zaire-Congo and Amazon Rivers Advances in Soil Science Editions, Ohio , 2003. , , , ,
- and co-authors. 2007. Constraining global air-sea gas exchange for CO2 with recent bomb 14C measurements. Global Biogeochem. Cycles 21, doi:10.1029/2006GB002784. , , , ,
- 1993. Seasonal variation of CO2 and nutrients in the high-latitude surface oceans: a comparative study. Global Biogeochem. Cycles 7(4), 843–878. , , and
- and co-authors. 2009. Climatological mean and decadal change in surface ocean pCO2, and net sea-air CO2 flux over the global oceans. Deep-Sea Res. 56, doi:10.1016/j.dsr2.2008.12.009. , , , ,
- 2000. A seasonal tropical sink for atmospheric CO2 in the Atlantic ocean: the role of the Amazon River discharge. Mar. Chem. 68(3), 183–201. , , and
- 1992. Relationship between wind speed and gas exchange over the ocean. J. Geophys. Res. 97(C5), 7373–7382.
- 1974. CO2 in water and seawater: the solubility of a non-ideal gas. Mar. Chem. 2, 203–215.