Impact of entrainment from overshooting thermals on land–atmosphere interactions during summer 1999
Article first published online: 6 JUL 2010
©2010 The Authors Tellus B©2010 International Meteorological Institute in Stockholm
Special Issue: SPECIAL ISSUE WITH MANUSCRIPTS PRESENTED AT THE 8TH INTERNATIONAL CARBON DIOXIDE CONFERENCE, ICDC8, IN JENA, GERMANY 13-19 SEPTEMBER 2009
Volume 62, Issue 5, pages 441–454, November 2010
How to Cite
MCGRATH-SPANGLER, E. L. and DENNING, A. S. (2010), Impact of entrainment from overshooting thermals on land–atmosphere interactions during summer 1999. Tellus B, 62: 441–454. doi: 10.1111/j.1600-0889.2010.00482.x
- Issue published online: 6 JUL 2010
- Article first published online: 6 JUL 2010
- (Manuscript received 19 November 2009; in final form 21 June 2010)
- 1996. A 1° × 1° distribution of carbon dioxide emissions from fossil fuel consumption and cement manufacture, 1950–1990. Global Biogeochem. Cy. 10, 419–429. , , and
- 1993. Fluxes of heat and momentum measured with a boundary-layer wind profiler radar-radio acoustic sounding system. J. Appl. Meteorol. 32, 73–80. , , and
- 1994a. Remote sensing of vertical velocity variance and surface heat flux in a convective boundary layer. J. Appl. Meteorol. 33, 977–983. , and
- 1994b. Boundary-layer depth and entrainment zone characterization with a boundary-layer profiler. Bound. -Layer Meteorol. 68, 375–385. , and
- 1998. Wind profiler and RASS measurements compared with measurements from a 450-m-tall tower. J. Atmos. Oceanic Technol. 15, 818–825. , and
- 1991. A statistical-dynamical approach to parameterize subgrid-scale land-surface heterogeneity in climate models. Surv. Geophys. 12, 155–178.
- 1989. A parameterization of heterogeneous land surfaces for atmospheric numerical models and its impacts on regional meteorology. Mon. Weather Rev. 117, 2113–2136. and
- 1996. An evaluation of neutral and convective planetary boundary layer parameterizations relative to large eddy simulation. Bound. -Layer Meteorol. 79, 131–175. , , , , and co-authors.
- 2006. TransCom 3 inversion intercomparison: impact of transport model errors on the interannual variability of regional CO2 fluxes, 1988–2003. Global Biogeochem. Cyc. 20, GB1002, doi:10.1029/2004GB002439. , , , , and co-authors.
- 2003. Simulated and observed fluxes of sensible and latent heat and CO2 at the WLEF-TV tower using SiB2.5. Glob. Change Biol. 9, 1262–1277. , , , , and co-authors.
- 1998. Measurements of carbon dioxide on very tall towers: results of the NOAA/CMDL program. Tellus 50B, 401–415. , , and
- 1987. A model predicting stomatal conductance and its contribution to the control of photosynthesis under different environmental conditions. In: Progress in Photosynthesis Research (ed. J.Biggens). Martinus-Nijhoff Publishers, Dordrecht , the Netherlands 221–224. , and
- 1992. Validation of the boundary layer representation in the ECMWF model. In: ECMWF Seminar Proceedings, 7–11 September 1992, Validation over Europe, Vol II, Reading, 159–195. and
- 2001. Long-term carbon dioxide fluxes from a very tall tower in a northern forest: flux measurement methodology. J. Atmos. Ocean. Tech. 18, 529–542. , , , and
- 1973. Non-precipitating cumulus convection and its parameterization. Q. J. Roy. Meteor. Soc. 99, 178–196.
- 2002. Landscapes as patches of plant functional types: an integrating concept for climate and ecosystem models. Global Biogeochem. Cy. 16, 5.1–5.23. , , and
- 1973. The development of a dry inversion-capped convectively unstable boundary layer. Q. J. Roy. Meteor. Soc. 100, 450–467.
- 1991. Physiological and environmental regulation of stomatal conductance, photosynthesis and transpiration: a model that includes a laminar boundary layer. Agric. Forest Meteorol. 54, 107–136. , , and
- 2008. Possible representation errors in inversions of satellite CO2 retrieval. J. Geophys. Res. 113, D02301, doi:10.1029/2007JD008716. , , , and
- 1997. Role of entrainment in surface-atmosphere interactions over the boreal forest. J. Geophys. Res. 102, D24, 29219–29230, doi:10.1029/97JD02236. , , , , and co-authors.
- 2003. The annual cycles of CO2 and H2O exchange over a northern mixed forest as observed from a very tall tower. Glob. Change Biol. 9, 1278–1293. , , , , and co-authors.
- 1974. Three-dimensional numerical study of the height and mean structure of a heated planetary boundary layer. Bound -Layer Meteorol. 7, 81–106.
- 1995. Latitudinal gradient of atmospheric CO2 due to seasonal exchange with land biota. Nature 376, 240–243. , and
- 1996a. Simulations of terrestrial carbon metabolism and atmospheric CO2 in a general circulation model. Part 1: Surface carbon fluxes. Tellus 48B, 521–542. , , , , and co-authors.
- 1996b. Simulations of terrestrial carbon metabolism and atmospheric CO2 in a general circulation model. Part 2: Spatial and temporal variations of atmospheric CO2. Tellus 48B, 543–567. , , and
- 1999. Can a strong atmospheric CO2 rectifier effect be reconciled with a “reasonable carbon budget? Tellus 51B, 249–253. , and
- 2003. Simulated variations in atmospheric CO2 over a Wisconsin forest using a coupled ecosystem-atmosphere model. Glob. Change Biol. 9, 1241–1250. , , , , and co-authors.
- 2008. Evaluation of modeled atmospheric boundary layer depth at the WLEF tower. Agric. Forest Meteorol. 148, 206–215. , , , , and co-authors.
- 1988. A UHF wind profiler for the boundary layer: brief description and initial results. J. Atmos. Ocean. Tech. 5, 432–441. , and
- 2006. The coupled aerosol and tracer transport model to the Brazilian developments on the Regional Atmospheric Modeling System: validation using direct and remote sensing observations. International Conference on Southern Hemisphere Meteorology and Oceanography (ICSHMO), Volume8, 101–107. CD-ROM. ISBN 85–17-00023-4. , , , , and co-authors.
- 2003. Toward constraining regional-scale fluxes of CO2 with atmospheric observations over a continent: 1. Observed spatial variability from airborne platforms. J. Geophys. Res. 108, D24, doi:10.1029/2002JD003018. , , , , and co-authors.
- 2002. Towards robust regional estimates of CO2 sources and sinks using atmospheric transport models. Nature 415, 626–630. , , , , and co-authors.
- 2003. TransCom 3 CO2 inversion intercomparison: 1. Annual mean control results and sensitivity to transport and prior flux information. Tellus 55B, 555–579. , , , , and co-authors.
- 2000. Global land cover classification at 1km resolution using a decision tree classifier. Int. J. Remote Sens. 21, 1331–1365. , , and
- 2004. Global CO2 transport simulations using meteorological data from the NASA data assimilation system. J. Geophys. Res. 109, D18312, doi:10.1029/2004JD004554. , , and
- 1999. Toward a parameterization of mesoscale fluxes and moist convection induced by landscape heterogeneity. J. Geophys. Res. 104(D16), 19515–19533. , and
- 2005. Global, regional and national CO2 emissions, In: Trends: A compendium of Data on Global Change. Carbon Dioxide Information Analysis Center, Oak Ridge National Laboratory, U.S. Department of Energy, Oak Ridge , TN . Available from http://cdiac.ornl.gov/trends/emis/em_cont.htm. Accessed 3 April 2008. , and
- 2009. Sensitivity of land-atmosphere exchanges to overshooting PBL thermals in an idealized coupled model. J. Adv. Model. Earth Syst. 1(14), doi:10.3894/JAMES.2009.1.14. , , and
- 2006. North American regional reanalysis. B. Am. Meteorol. Soc. 87(3), 343–360. , , , , and co-authors.
- 2004. A multiple-scale simulation of variations in atmospheric carbon dioxide using a coupled-biosphere-atmospheric model. J. Geophys. Res. 109, D18117, doi:10.1029/2003JD004482. , , , , and co-authors.
- 2008. Mechanisms for synoptic variations of atmospheric CO2 in North America, South America, and Europe. Atmos. Chem. Phys. 8, 7239–7254. , , , , and co-authors.
- 1990. Influence of landscape structure on local and regional climate. Landscape Ecol. 4, 133–155. and
- 1974. A case study of the structure and energetics of an inversion. Q. J. Roy. Meteor. Soc. 100, 221–233. and
- 1986. A simple biosphere model (SiB) for use within general circulation models. J. Atmos. Sci. 43, 505–531. , , and
- 1996b. A revised land surface parameterization (SiB2) for atmospheric GCMs. Part II: The generation of global fields of terrestrial biophysical parameters from satellite data. J. Climate 9, 706–737. , , , , and co-authors.
- 1996a. A revised land surface parameterization (SiB2) for atmospheric GCMs, Part 1: Model formulation. J. Climate 9, 676–705. , , , , and co-authors.
- 1997. Modeling the exchanges of energy, water, and carbon between continents and the atmosphere. Science 275, 502–509. , , , , and co-authors.
- 1976. The energetics of entrainment across a density interface. J. Atmos. Sci. 33, 1260–1267.
- 1988. An Introduction to Boundary Layer Meteorology. Kluwer Academic Publishers, Norwell , MA , 666pp.
- 1998. Structure of the entrainment zone capping the convective atmospheric boundary layer. J. Atmos. Sci. 55, 3042–3064. , , , and
- 2002. Global sea-air CO2 flux based on climatological surface ocean pCO2, and seasonal, biological, and temperature effects. Deep-Sea Res. Part II 49, 1601–1622. , , , , and co-authors.
- 2007. Observations and simulations of synoptic, regional, and local variations in atmospheric CO2. J. Geophys. Res. 112, D04108, doi:10.1029/2006JD007410. , , , , and co-authors.
- 2001. Atmospheric disturbance caused by human modification of the landscape. B. Am. Meteorol. Soc. 82(2), 269–281. and
- 1991. Radar observations of humidity variability in and above the marine atmospheric boundary layer. J. Atmos. Ocean. Tech. 8, 639–658. , and
- 1974. A laboratory model of the unstable planetary boundary layer. J. Atmos. Sci. 31, 1297–1307. and
- 2001. Long-term observations of the dynamics of the continental planetary boundary layer. J. Atmos. Sci. 58, 1288–1299. , , and
- 2004. Observed covariance between ecosystem carbon exchange and atmospheric boundary layer dynamics at a site in northern Wisconsin. J. Geophys. Res. 109, D08302, doi:10.1029/2003JD004164. , , , , and co-authors.
- 2002. Observations and simulations of the planetary boundary layer at a tall tower in northern Wisconsin. M.S. thesis. Colorado State University, Fort Collins , 71.
- 2007. Carbon flux bias estimation employing Maximum Likelihood Ensemble Filter (MLEF). J. Geophys. Res. 112, D17107, doi:10.1029/2006JD008371. , , , , and co-authors.